List of non-tenders

rferry

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...e2005&fext=.jsp

2B/SS options: Willie Harris, Junior Spivey, Bo Hart

CF/LF options: Eric Byrnes, Jamal Strong, Alex Escobar, Endy Chavez

C options: Mike Rose, Jason Phillips, Mike Mahoney, (edit: Miguel Olivo)

RP options: Chad Bradford, Wes Obermueller, Dan Kolb and former Devil Rays Carter, Borowski and Miller.

Harris please. Escobar and Bradford too.

The reason I like Phillips (which is not to say he's a great catcher) is because he's got the right defensive tools for a young team and he's had enough major league experience (three full seasons in the NL, knows batter's tendencies etc.) to be an asset who doesn't need on the job training the way others mentioned do.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Pudge Fisk or Johnny Bench, but if the Marlins really want to give Willingham a shot at learning the position, Phillips is a guy who can be platooned and not be a detriment to the team while he's out there.

Thanks for posting Rferry...great info.

Willie Harris would be a good fit at second. Escobar is an intriguing option.

Byrnes & Phillips seem like solids pros.

I'm not sold on Chavez...I'd much rather have Gathright (if it doesn't cost us Olson).

meh...on the arms...although Josh Fogg does have strong local ties. How about Dewon? Perhaps spending some time with Dontrelle might set him straight...might be worth a gamble.

:mischief2

The only one that I really like is Escobar. He was a super prospect at one time. You never know. Some of these kids develop later than most. Jose Guillen was a super prospect for the Pirates at one point, and basically became a journeymen until he had a breakout year in Cincy. We have nothing to lose with giving a young player a shot. Besides, I think he can handle the job defensively, and has a great arm. Byrnes can be a stop gap player but I'm sure he will want to go to a competitve team. By the way... OLVIO.. SUCKS!!!!

Guest Moneyball

JA-SON-PHI-LLIPS!

*clap clap clapclapclap*

And honestly, in your opinion...what makes Phillips a better option than Treanor, who will no doubt be a cheaper option?

CHECK-THE-STATS!

*clap clap clapclapclap*

And the stats say what? Phillips is marginially better with the bat while equal with the glove? And more expensive. I dont see why people want something we already have, Phillips=Treanor.

I'd rather have John Baker as the backup catcher if thats the reasoning, he could be better defensively and put up the same #s at the plate.

Guest Moneyball

And the stats say what? Phillips is marginially better with the bat while equal with the glove? And more expensive. I dont see why people want something we already have, Phillips=Treanor.

I'd rather have John Baker as the backup catcher if thats the reasoning, he could be better defensively and put up the same #s at the plate.

Please, you make it seem like Phillips is going to make millions. The difference between the two will be almost nothing.

Please, you make it seem like Phillips is going to make millions. The difference between the two will be almost nothing.

Kind of like the difference in their stats huh? Almost nothing. Not enough to warrant taking one over the other.

Neither Treanor or Phillips are very good, and Phillips would not help this team in ANY WAY. He might be worse back there because of the high amount of steals he allows.

Guest Moneyball

Kind of like the difference in their stats huh? Almost nothing. Not enough to warrant taking one over the other.

Neither Treanor or Phillips are very good, and Phillips would not help this team in ANY WAY. He might be worse back there because of the high amount of steals he allows.

I'd say a difference of (all career numbers) 42 points in BA, 17 in OBP, and a whopping 116 in SLG% is a big deal when you consider how crappy the catching market is.

I'd prefer to try him over Matt "Let Me Call 7 Straight Fastballs" Treanor.