Women President?

Dan Marino Forever 13

Why would anyone refuse to vote for a woman simply for being a woman? That's retarded. I am going to vote for Hilary Clinton in 2008 (unless McCain is the Republican nominee, in which case it will be a tough choice).

Hilary ran i think she would get a good amount of votes.....

What you said is groundbreaking.

If Hillary Clinton were to run in the next election, she would receive my vote.

I am going to vote for Hilary Clinton in 2008

Why? Other than being a celebrity politician, what does Hillary Clinton bring to the table?

To be perfectly honest, I am still confused as to how she won a Senate seat in NEW YORK STATE. On top of that, she was absolutely worthless following 9/11. What major piece of legislation did she pass immediately following the attacks? She sponsored a bill commissioning a special commemorative postage stamp. Bravo.

Oh wait. Then there's her response to Hurricane Katrina. Following the destruction in the Gulf States, she thought it would be a good idea to amend the IRS tax code to provide residents of Puerto Rico eligibility for monies we pay that are issued as part of the child tax credit. At a time when our country is suffering from an energy crisis and paying huge sums of money towards Katrina relief, she would like to further burden US taxpayers by committing us to giving out more aid to another country. Good thought.

I'm not a big Chuck Schumer fan, but I'd vote for him before I'd vote for her...

A lot of countries that you wouldn't think of as particularly progressive when it comes to gender equality have had a woman as a leader at some time or another.

We haven't even come close.

You're telling me a woman couldn't run this country better than Pres. Bush?

I'm not against the idea of voting for Hillary. It would just depend on her platform, and who she's up against.

Why would anyone refuse to vote for a woman simply for being a woman? That's retarded.

Thank you.

MiRi>GWB

Ha!!! Good one. I would never be President. I remember when I was a kid I wanted to be the first woman Pres. Pssh.... yea ok. I was a child with wild dreams.

Now, yes, I would definitely vote for a woman depending on whether she is fit to run this country. I wouldn't vote for Hilary though.

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States.

Although Puerto Rico is, politically speaking, a self-governing commonwealth associated with the United States, Puerto Ricans and people from other nations refer to Puerto Rico as a pa?s, the Spanish word for country or nation. This is a very common and accepted international status given to all dependent territories, also called dependent "states" by the United Nations.

Source: Wikipedia

Cut me some slack - the point remains valid. :thumbup

If Hillary Clinton were to run in the next election, she would receive my vote.

I am going to vote for Hilary Clinton in 2008

Why? Other than being a celebrity politician, what does Hillary Clinton bring to the table?

To be perfectly honest, I am still confused as to how she won a Senate seat in NEW YORK STATE. On top of that, she was absolutely worthless following 9/11. What major piece of legislation did she pass immediately following the attacks? She sponsored a bill commissioning a special commemorative postage stamp. Bravo.

Oh wait. Then there's her response to Hurricane Katrina. Following the destruction in the Gulf States, she thought it would be a good idea to amend the IRS tax code to provide residents of Puerto Rico eligibility for monies we pay that are issued as part of the child tax credit. At a time when our country is suffering from an energy crisis and paying huge sums of money towards Katrina relief, she would like to further burden US taxpayers by committing us to giving out more aid to another country. Good thought.

I'm not a big Chuck Schumer fan, but I'd vote for him before I'd vote for her...

We can disagree. I've met the woman and have seen her in Senate Hearings and she is brilliant. I agree with her politically. She's got a high approval rating in New York state, so she must be doing pretty well.

That said, I like McCain a lot and would have a hard time choosing between the two. I'm a registered Democrat, but I think I will vote as a Republican in the Florida primary in 2008 just to vote for McCain (if he runs).

Yeah, I think a lot of the anti-Hillary sentiments date back to the early days of Bill's presidency. She got a bad rap then for her healthcare ideas, and I feel like she can recover from that in any presidential bid, although the Republican smear campaign will surely have a field day with her.

Everyone says she's a shrewd politician who is owed a lot of favors. She's also said to be a good fundraiser.

yankeefan21, although I think your qualm with what Hillary has accomplished might be valid or at least debateable, I don't think it's relevant when it comes to being elected president(even though it should be). Correct me if Im wrong, but GWB didnt have the flashiest record in Texas did he? I think if men who had the credentials to be president actually were elected, this country would be totally different. But credentials are weighed with electability and political shrewdness. Hillary really is trying to bolster her record in categories she can "advertise" like foreign policy etc. The reason people love her is because she is very politically smart. I don't think she would make the same mistakes Kerry did.

A lot of countries that you wouldn't think of as particularly progressive when it comes to gender equality have had a woman as a leader at some time or another.

We haven't even come close.

Thats a really good point. Pakistan has had a women leader and they aren't exactly the beacons for gender equality. It's amazing that there are so many people in this country that wouldn't vote for a women because of her gender. But I do think that if a good women ran, she would get elected. A lot of states have had/do have female governers.

That said, I like McCain a lot and would have a hard time choosing between the two. I'm a registered Democrat, but I think I will vote as a Republican in the Florida primary in 2008 just to vote for McCain (if he runs).

Are you planning to switch registrations? Because we have a closed primary here.

I don't value the person's ethnicity, skin color, or gender when I'm deciding who should lead the country. It's not important. And I wouldn't vote for Hillary.