San Antonio makes Marlins an offer....also Loria's view on ballpar

Rex

Good luck getting that thing built for $300M! :lol

Must be Miami Arena Part II.

Texas land is wayyyyy cheaper than South Florida land...

they can get it done for that.

That figure also doesn't have a roof in there, just think about that.

that's the wild card here, the roof. Astros have a roof, but Rangers don't. Not sure if roofless is OK in SA

Good luck getting that thing built for $300M! :lol

Must be Miami Arena Part II.

Texas land is wayyyyy cheaper than South Florida land...

they can get it done for that.

That figure also doesn't have a roof in there, just think about that.

that's true... but isn't San Antonio in the desert ? what would they need a roof for ?

Petco - San Diego - $456.8 million

Busch Stadium III - St. Louis - $344.8 million

Citizen Bank Ballpark - Philly - $346 million

Great American Ballpark - Cincy - $325 million

PNC Park - Pittsburgh - $262 million

just to name a few of the newer stadiums...

Looks like they can do it...

yup.

i'd prefer a retractable roof stadium, but its not totally necessary, would just prevent baseball during the day.

us presenting a serious proposal to the Marlins is something huge for us. Especially if its seriously considered and real talks begin.

How are the Marlins going to come up with $100M? I would like to know how that is going to happen in San Antonio unless Bexar County gives them a sweetheart 65 year lease to finance that amount at $1.5M a year.

By attracting various types of investors for one.

It would all depend on the final deal presented to the Marlins by San Antonio and vice versa.

How are the Marlins going to come up with $100M?

easy, they cut all the payroll...

So San Antonio's MLB team will have a payroll lower than this years? Sorry, that is not an option. You can't cut $100M in payroll in time for 2010.

the payroll was cut from what ? $65M to $30 ?

that would be an extra 35M per year... in 3 years or 2009, that alone would be 105M.

that would be an extra 35M per year... in 3 years or 2009, that alone would be 105M.

At $65M the Fish were supposedly losing $20M a year. So under your argument the team would be saving $15M a year. That would be $45M in 3 years.

How are the Marlins going to come up with $100M?

easy, they cut all the payroll...

So San Antonio's MLB team will have a payroll lower than this years? Sorry, that is not an option. You can't cut $100M in payroll in time for 2010.

wouldn't that mean that they would be able close the gap for building a stadium in so. florida?

So Bexar County is counting on private investors to buy into the Marlins and help pay for the stadium to the amount of the purchase and $100M?

Right.

No the Marlins are.

If they are able to use any stadium naming rights which would net probably 25-30 million that would be 1/4 of hte 100 million.

FLRyan shows you where the rest comes from. The Marlins should turn a 20 million dollar profit this year you would think.

They do something close to that for the next 2 years and its done easily.

next question.

The Marlins haven't commented on this deal because it is a lowball offer. The Marlins were expecting something similar to the Spurs in terms of percentages. Today, Judge Wolff royally PWNed the Marlins. He wants MLB in San Antonio, but at his price.

The Marlins must be sweating cannonballs right now.

At $65M the Fish were supposedly losing $20M a year. So under your argument the team would be saving $15M a year. That would be $45M in 3 years.

what???

that would be 25 million per year with a 20 million dollar payroll.

given that break even is 20 million and they are raking in 45 million per year.

No the Marlins are.

If they are able to use any stadium naming rights which would net probably 25-30 million that would be 1/4 of hte 100 million.

FLRyan shows you where the rest comes from. The Marlins should turn a 20 million dollar profit this year you would think.

next question.

So why couldn't they do that in South Florida then? The profit you claim is being turned here. The naming rights can also be sold here, and likely for more money. The team has guaranteed income from FSN Florida in writing here, FSN Southwest hasn't even talked to the Marlins. San Antonio also hasn't sold any season tickets.

The Marlins haven't commented on this deal because it is a lowball offer. The Marlins were expecting something similar to the Spurs in terms of percentages. Today, Judge Wolff royally PWNed the Marlins. He wants MLB in San Antonio, but at his price.

The Marlins must be sweating cannonballs right now.

do you really think the deal the spurs ended up with was the initial offer?

learn how business operates.

like take real estate, which I would assume you would know about. A seller tries to get something for the lowest price, the buyer the highest price....kinda like you are seeing with the Marlins and San Antonio.

Geez, I would have thought you would at least know the absolute basis of how a business deal works.

I guess I was wrong.

what???

$65M (2005 payroll) - $30M (2006+ payroll) = $35M

$35M (difference gained) - $20M (Marlins publicly-stated 2005 losses) = $15M (net gain per year)

No the Marlins are.

next question.

So why couldn't they do that in South Florida then? The profit you claim is being turned here. The naming rights can also be sold here, and likely for more money. The team has guaranteed income from FSN Florida in writing here, FSN Southwest hasn't even talked to the Marlins. San Antonio also hasn't sold any season tickets.

I dont know why they dont do that.

That's like asking me why Britian still has a queen for a figurehead.

like take real estate, which I would assume you would know about. A seller tries to get something for the lowest price, the buyer the highest price....kinda like you are seeing with the Marlins and San Antonio.

Geez, I would have thought you would at least know the absolute basis of how a business deal works.

I guess I was wrong.

Who is the buyer and seller in your equation?

The Marlins who have limited cash resources or Bexar County who has at&t Center debt and would incur more debt if voters passed the extra bed tax?

I dont know why they dont do that.

That's like asking me why Britian still has a queen for a figurehead.

So either the Marlins are liars when they say they want to stay in South Florida or San Antonio is not seriously possible.

I guess I was wrong.

Who is the buyer and seller in your equation?

The Marlins who have limited cash resources or Bexar County who has at&t Center debt and would incur more debt if voters passed the extra bed tax?

the marlins acting as the buyers

san antonio as the sellers.

though in my wonderous way of typing, I put buyers where it should be sellers.

the marlins are trying to get the best deal possible at the highest price.

san antonio trying to get it for the cheapest price.

not really anything shocking here.

what???

$65M (2005 payroll) - $30M (2006+ payroll) = $35M

$35M (difference gained) - $20M (Marlins publicly-stated 2005 losses) = $15M (net gain per year)

isnt this year's payroll closer to 20 than 30?

the marlins acting as the buyers

san antonio as the sellers.

though in my wonderous way of typing, I put buyers where it should be sellers.

the marlins are trying to get the best deal possible at the highest price.

san antonio trying to get it for the cheapest price.

not really anything shocking here.

OK, so the Marlins are trying to buy this "house" without the proper funds.

The sellers, San Antonio, are trying to partially finance some of this, but tell the buyers (Marlins) to do the rest themselves.

The sellers wants the cheapest price? That breaks all real estate conventions. I think you have the roles reversed Das.

isnt this year's payroll closer to 20 than 30?

You want Dontrelle and Cabs traded mid-year? They will get raises next year. My count is for 2007, 2008, and 2009.

Oh, and Loria still owes MLB owners the money he borrowed to buy the Marlins. That amount is owed in full if the Marlins get a stadium.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.