Suggestion for MarlinsBaseball.com

Dodge

Admin, you have been running a tremendous board but lately it seems that the quality of posting on the board has been going down. I think that one of the problems is that the mods on the board aren't active in all of the forums and aren't on as much as other members. There are way too many threads that are either ruined by out of line comments, or are unnecessary themselves. The majority of mods that you have selected aren't as active as they should be. I think that you should consider adding some mods who are active in all forums and are active more of the time. This will allow the quality of the board to rise.

I am not asking to be, nor am I interested in being a moderator here. I also realize that a lot of people will probably reply and ask to be given moderating powers, however, that is not why I'm posting this. I just want to see the quality of the forum at its full potential.

Thank you for running this fansite, Admin.

Sincerely,

Dodge

I'm reviewing the recent threads still after someone brought this to my attention yesterday.

Keep in mind, that the problem we always have here is once the mods start modding more there will be threads here saying 1) Mods are nazis (really has happened) 2) Power hungry mods ruining site 3) Stop censoring us!!!11

It's tough to have a happy medium... never happens.

I'm reviewing the recent threads still after someone brought this to my attention yesterday.

Keep in mind, that the problem we always have here is once the mods start modding more there will be threads here saying 1) Mods are nazis (really has happened) 2) Power hungry mods ruining site 3) Stop censoring us!!!11

It's tough to have a happy medium... never happens.

I agree with both of you...

Yeah, my thoughts are that we don't need a bunch of trigger happy mods, that's not what I mean. It would just be nice to see more of a presence, because to be completely honest a lot of the current moderating staff don't even participate. Moderators aren't just there to be watchdogs, they're also there to stimulate activity in the forum.

Not that the boards are out of control right now by any means, but we do see a fair amount of unreasonable bickering in plenty of threads.

Just some thoughts of mine. :thumbup

I know what you meant, but the thing is the mods here have never been trigger happy. But once they moderate anything, lock 1 topic, delete 1 post it immediately means we're removing freedom of speech and censoring unreasonably. I've seen topics started here after 1 topic is locked or deleted complaining about the abuse of power... so how do we win? In a perfect world your ideas would be great, believe me I want things to be civil but some people are just unreasonable.

As one of the guilty parties (see: Bullpen) I would have to agree with my fellow CBLer.

Its not likely that you will see more censure in the Bullpen.

Its there for what it is...its not for those that are weak.

Mud is slung there on an everyday basis, part of the nature of the beast.

However, ya its hard to get a happy medium between too little and too much activity. When we were heavily policing things a few months back we were called as stifling 'freedom'

You cant have it both ways, we go to being less strict and we get this.

*sigh*

Can I be a mod Admin?

Well the most obvious issue is this 'charter' modship that you've given (and sustained) to several members that were here when you opened the forums.

Over the years, however, certain mods have become all but idle in their touring duties.

I can't really get more specific without naming names...This isn't an attack on anyone's persona or character. I looked at the list and I like everyone who is currently a mod.

I know I've been guilty of 'off-topicness' once in a while, and I don't want to sound hypocritical here...But lately, such disorder around the forums has been more rampant than in months/years past. This is not at all an indirect attack on Admin, because as always he has given his heart and soul to this place--and for that, we all appreciate your effort.

You get the feeling that this thread will lead to mixed reaction, and there is no way around that. Could we keep things the way they are and continue a successful online community? I think it's possible, yes. But are there more deserving members on this forum who keep a more steady watch than some of the current mods? Again, yes.

Once more, and I can't stress this enough--The question of moderating (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with a member's personality or character. It has to do with the duties involved and level of activity of that member.

That is all.

This is what my intended meaning was... not trying to offend anybody. Being very strict is one thing, but I don't think that the current moderating staff actually being active forum participants as unreasonable.

Admin, even if you are worried about people complaining about what may be perceived as excessive censorship - why? A large amount of those complaints have been from either angsty teenyboppers who contribute relatively little to the forums, or from people who are actually breaking forum rules. It's your forum, and I'm not telling you how to run it by any means, however, I am saying don't let other people tell you how to run it.

Moderator has to be the worst gig ever.

That's not knocking anyone who's stated any concerns in here or anything, I agree with almost all of them. But, man, talk about a thankless role. You couldn't pay me to do it.*

*Last statement is probably not true.

This is what my intended meaning was... not trying to offend anybody. Being very strict is one thing, but I don't think that the current moderating staff actually being active forum participants as unreasonable.

Admin, even if you are worried about people complaining about what may be perceived as excessive censorship - why? A large amount of those complaints have been from either angsty teenyboppers who contribute relatively little to the forums, or from people who are actually breaking forum rules. It's your forum, and I'm not telling you how to run it by any means, however, I am saying don't let other people tell you how to run it.

Thats my thoughts, it's not the way its being modded it's that a good portion of the mods aren't that active anymore or don't spread themselves around the whole board.

Activity by the mods can not be judged by the amount of times they post. Some of the most active mods here have some of the lowest post counts on the site.

True, but I have a hard time believing people would spend 'that much more' time just moderating and not posting. Know what I'm sayin?