25 Player Play-Off Roster?

Arnie1941

Funny how many guys who eagerly jump into a poll on how many times next year's clubhouse toilets flush suddenly have no opinion on a decision to be made in a few weeks.

There's plenty of time, as Das points out, to ruminate on this subject, let's be three up with 4 to play, but if you feel compelled to speculate that's fine too. I'm sure we'll all have something to contribute in a week or two.

The starters (8): Rodriguez, Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez, Lowell, Cabrera, Pierre, Encarnacion

The sure thing pitchers (8): Redman, Beckett, Willis, Penny, Pavano, Urbina, Looper, Tejera

The reserve position players (6): Redmond, Conine, Andy Fox, Mordecai, Harris, Hollandsworth

Rounding out the bullpen (3): Bump, Chad Fox, Helling

On the sidelines (6): Banks, G.Williams, Neal, Olsen, Phelps, Castro

I'd like to have Banks in there, but you can't have only 10 pitchers. No way, not in the playoffs.

The starters (8): Rodriguez, Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez, Lowell, Cabrera, Pierre, Encarnacion

Like Mike said, I'd rather have Conine and his playoff experience starting in the post-season than the 20-year-old that will get his chance later on in life.

I think Castro's power off the bench is a MUST during the post-season. Nobody else on the bench can match him in that department, or the average department, as he is batting . 313 as well.

I think Castro's power off the bench is a MUST during the post-season. Nobody else on the bench can match him in that department, or the average department, as he is batting . 313 as well.

Well, either Conine or Cabrera would be on the bench, and they can match his power and it's not like Castro brings a lot defensively, I can't remember the last time I saw Castro in the field. Oh and someone else said you can't go into the playoffs with only 10 pitchers. I don't agree, because it's only a 3 or 4 man rotation so it is still 6 pitchers in the bullpen same as usual and it's even less of a handicap for the marlins because we have innings eaters like the starter that is sent to the bullpen (whoever that will be) Tejera, and Helling.

Wild Card. Don't agree with you. Cabrera is a spark-plug and I don't see why there is a conflict between him and Conine on the Play-Off Roster. With (if?) Lowell back, I'll leave it to McKeon to choose who's playing. But, I'd like them both there.

I wouldn't complain if Cabrera was starting, but I think McKeon would value veteranship (the man IS 72, after all) over youth.

why does it matter Arnie? not everyone wants to answer and none of us will have the right answer anyway

I personally like this exercise. It's just a giant "What If" game. Isn't that what a lot of the threads on this board are about? We may not be this close for a while. I want to play all the what-if games I can and really enjoy being this close to the post season.

None of us have the right answer on anything anyways. It's just throwing out opinions and guesses, usually uneducated in my case.

But I agree with you that anybody who doesn't want to join in shouldn't be put down for it. Just like anybody who does join in shouldn't be told not to debate it (not that I've seen that in this thread).

Funny how many guys who eagerly jump into a poll on how many times next year's clubhouse toilets flush suddenly have no opinion on a decision to be made in a few weeks.

Relax, Arnie.

The sure thing pitchers (8): Redman, Beckett, Willis, Penny, Pavano, Urbina, Looper, Tejera

The reserve position players (6): Redmond, Conine, Andy Fox, Mordecai, Harris, Hollandsworth

Rounding out the bullpen (3): Bump, Chad Fox, Helling

I'd like to have Banks in there, but you can't have only 10 pitchers. No way, not in the playoffs.

I think you have to have Castro. He's been our #1 right-handed PH and the best power threat off the bench, even with Conine.

I think you can get away with 10 pitchers since either Redman, Willis, or Pavano will be in the bullpen anyway. If we've worked our way to Bump and Helling, we're probably in some trouble anyway.

I beg to differ. Conine never hit 20 HR's when he was in Baltimore, and Cabrera has 4 more HR's than Castro in what, 5 times more ab's?

If I had a choice I would want Cabs or Conine up there not Castro. Also, left-handed pinch-hitters are much more valuable than right handed pinch hitters. IMO. That's why I'd rather have Banks, he is a left handed pinch hitter and he is versatile. I just thought of this also, we haven't seen Andy Fox play in a while so that might play a factor if they have to make this decision.

Like Mike said, I'd rather have Conine and his playoff experience starting in the post-season than the 20-year-old that will get his chance later on in life.

Cabrera has done pretty decent while he's been up here in the pennant race so I'd be willing to take a chance on him handling the pressure. I'd also rather have Conine coming off the bench. I don't know that Cabrera can contribute much off the bench.

I agree with that one. He's our best chance for a late-inning pinch-hit HR (other than Mordecai).

That's why I'd rather have Banks, he is a left handed pinch hitter and he is versatile. I just thought of this also, we haven't seen Andy Fox play in a while so that might play a factor if they have to make this decision.

Banks is a switch-hitter.

I just thought of this also, we haven't seen Andy Fox play in a while so that might play a factor if they have to make this decision.

Fox has playoff/world series experience. He's definately going to be in the playoffs.

(End of the day and nobody really yelled at me. Okay. Here's my 25 not believing that Lowell will be available for more than pinch-hitting until the World Series.)

Infield: Pudge, D.Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez, Cabrera. (5)

Outfield: Conine, J.Pierre, Encarnacion. (3)

Bench: Lowell, Redmond, Mordecai, Fox, Castro, Banks. (6)

Pitching: Redman, Beckett, Willis, Penny (?), Pavanno, Urbina, Looper, Tejera, Bump, Fox, Helling. (11)

That's 25. Easy, huh?

Holly over Banks.... other than that I agree Arnie

RAMP

If McKeon agrees with you, we'll see more of Holly the next few weeks. Lord knows he has the natural talent (just don't know where it went). My suggestion of 11 pitchers out of the 25 Roster... (time out! Cabrera just hit a home run! 6 zip. Love it) Concerned about Penny. But, McKeon has shown he knows how to use the bull-pen. So, I want him to have a full-bull-pen hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Allright boys and girls....

Here is my roster.

pitchers(11)...josh beckett, brad penny, dontrelle willis, mark redman, carl pavano, rick helling, nate bump, michael tejera, chad fox, braden looper, uggy

catchers (2)...ivan rodriguez, mike redmond

infielders (8)...derrek lee, luis castillo, alex gonzalez, miguel cabrera, mike lowell, lenny harris, mike mordacei, andy fox

outfielders (4)...juan encarnacion, juan pierre, jeff conine, brian banks

argue away

Here is my roster.

pitchers(11)...josh beckett, brad penny, dontrelle willis, mark redman, carl pavano, rick helling, nate bump, michael tejera, chad fox, braden looper, uggy

infielders (8)...derrek lee, luis castillo, alex gonzalez, miguel cabrera, mike lowell, lenny harris, mike mordacei, andy fox

argue away

I would rather have Castro than Helling.

Here is my roster.

argue away

I would put in Hollandsworth For either Fox or Harris