September 13, 200323 yr i rather have conine at left than cabrera. even though cabrera is good i rather have a veteran starting in the playoffs
September 13, 200323 yr Funny how many guys who eagerly jump into a poll on how many times next year's clubhouse toilets flush suddenly have no opinion on a decision to be made in a few weeks. There's plenty of time, as Das points out, to ruminate on this subject, let's be three up with 4 to play, but if you feel compelled to speculate that's fine too. I'm sure we'll all have something to contribute in a week or two.
September 13, 200323 yr why does it matter Arnie? not everyone wants to answer and none of us will have the right answer anyway
September 13, 200323 yr The starters (8): Rodriguez, Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez, Lowell, Cabrera, Pierre, Encarnacion The sure thing pitchers (8): Redman, Beckett, Willis, Penny, Pavano, Urbina, Looper, Tejera The reserve position players (6): Redmond, Conine, Andy Fox, Mordecai, Harris, Hollandsworth Rounding out the bullpen (3): Bump, Chad Fox, Helling On the sidelines (6): Banks, G.Williams, Neal, Olsen, Phelps, Castro I'd like to have Banks in there, but you can't have only 10 pitchers. No way, not in the playoffs.
September 13, 200323 yr Author why does it matter Arnie? not everyone wants to answer and none of us will have the right answer anyway Too bad that logic doesn't apply to the BS, space-wasting polls and threads projecting next season.
September 13, 200323 yr The starters (8): Rodriguez, Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez, Lowell, Cabrera, Pierre, Encarnacion Like Mike said, I'd rather have Conine and his playoff experience starting in the post-season than the 20-year-old that will get his chance later on in life. On the sidelines (6): Banks, G.Williams, Neal, Olsen, Phelps, Castro I think Castro's power off the bench is a MUST during the post-season. Nobody else on the bench can match him in that department, or the average department, as he is batting . 313 as well.
September 13, 200323 yr Rookies tend to shine in the playoffs (SEE: Livan Hernandez, K-Rod). I liek our chances with Superman. Hey, this is for the first game in my book.
September 13, 200323 yr Author Wild Card. Don't agree with you. Cabrera is a spark-plug and I don't see why there is a conflict between him and Conine on the Play-Off Roster. With (if?) Lowell back, I'll leave it to McKeon to choose who's playing. But, I'd like them both there.
September 13, 200323 yr I think Castro's power off the bench is a MUST during the post-season. Nobody else on the bench can match him in that department, or the average department, as he is batting . 313 as well. Well, either Conine or Cabrera would be on the bench, and they can match his power and it's not like Castro brings a lot defensively, I can't remember the last time I saw Castro in the field. Oh and someone else said you can't go into the playoffs with only 10 pitchers. I don't agree, because it's only a 3 or 4 man rotation so it is still 6 pitchers in the bullpen same as usual and it's even less of a handicap for the marlins because we have innings eaters like the starter that is sent to the bullpen (whoever that will be) Tejera, and Helling.
September 13, 200323 yr Wild Card. Don't agree with you. Cabrera is a spark-plug and I don't see why there is a conflict between him and Conine on the Play-Off Roster. With (if?) Lowell back, I'll leave it to McKeon to choose who's playing. But, I'd like them both there. I wouldn't complain if Cabrera was starting, but I think McKeon would value veteranship (the man IS 72, after all) over youth.
September 13, 200323 yr Well, either Conine or Cabrera would be on the bench, and they can match his power I beg to differ. Conine never hit 20 HR's when he was in Baltimore, and Cabrera has 4 more HR's than Castro in what, 5 times more ab's?
September 13, 200323 yr why does it matter Arnie? not everyone wants to answer and none of us will have the right answer anyway I personally like this exercise. It's just a giant "What If" game. Isn't that what a lot of the threads on this board are about? We may not be this close for a while. I want to play all the what-if games I can and really enjoy being this close to the post season. None of us have the right answer on anything anyways. It's just throwing out opinions and guesses, usually uneducated in my case. But I agree with you that anybody who doesn't want to join in shouldn't be put down for it. Just like anybody who does join in shouldn't be told not to debate it (not that I've seen that in this thread). Funny how many guys who eagerly jump into a poll on how many times next year's clubhouse toilets flush suddenly have no opinion on a decision to be made in a few weeks. Relax, Arnie.
September 13, 200323 yr The starters (8): Rodriguez, Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez, Lowell, Cabrera, Pierre, Encarnacion The sure thing pitchers (8): Redman, Beckett, Willis, Penny, Pavano, Urbina, Looper, Tejera The reserve position players (6): Redmond, Conine, Andy Fox, Mordecai, Harris, Hollandsworth Rounding out the bullpen (3): Bump, Chad Fox, Helling On the sidelines (6): Banks, G.Williams, Neal, Olsen, Phelps, Castro I'd like to have Banks in there, but you can't have only 10 pitchers. No way, not in the playoffs. I think you have to have Castro. He's been our #1 right-handed PH and the best power threat off the bench, even with Conine. I think you can get away with 10 pitchers since either Redman, Willis, or Pavano will be in the bullpen anyway. If we've worked our way to Bump and Helling, we're probably in some trouble anyway.
September 13, 200323 yr I beg to differ. Conine never hit 20 HR's when he was in Baltimore, and Cabrera has 4 more HR's than Castro in what, 5 times more ab's? If I had a choice I would want Cabs or Conine up there not Castro. Also, left-handed pinch-hitters are much more valuable than right handed pinch hitters. IMO. That's why I'd rather have Banks, he is a left handed pinch hitter and he is versatile. I just thought of this also, we haven't seen Andy Fox play in a while so that might play a factor if they have to make this decision.
September 13, 200323 yr Author Juanky, With your "rounding out the bull-pen," you are two over the 25. That's before your potential reserves. (I see several of us listing "reserves." Are there any reserves after the 25 play-off roster?)
September 13, 200323 yr Like Mike said, I'd rather have Conine and his playoff experience starting in the post-season than the 20-year-old that will get his chance later on in life. Cabrera has done pretty decent while he's been up here in the pennant race so I'd be willing to take a chance on him handling the pressure. I'd also rather have Conine coming off the bench. I don't know that Cabrera can contribute much off the bench. I think Castro's power off the bench is a MUST during the post-season. Nobody else on the bench can match him in that department, or the average department, as he is batting . 313 as well. I agree with that one. He's our best chance for a late-inning pinch-hit HR (other than Mordecai).
September 13, 200323 yr That's why I'd rather have Banks, he is a left handed pinch hitter and he is versatile. I just thought of this also, we haven't seen Andy Fox play in a while so that might play a factor if they have to make this decision. Banks is a switch-hitter. I just thought of this also, we haven't seen Andy Fox play in a while so that might play a factor if they have to make this decision. Fox has playoff/world series experience. He's definately going to be in the playoffs.
September 13, 200323 yr Are there any reserves after the 25 play-off roster? Not that I know of but if somebody gets hurt in the playoffs, I think you can replace him after the series. I don't know if you can change your roster between rounds of the playoffs just for the hell of it.
September 13, 200323 yr Banks is a switch-hitter. I know that, I was just trying to prove the fact that Left handed pinch hitters were more important, but that is a good point he is our only switch hitter on the bench.
September 13, 200323 yr Author (End of the day and nobody really yelled at me. Okay. Here's my 25 not believing that Lowell will be available for more than pinch-hitting until the World Series.) Infield: Pudge, D.Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez, Cabrera. (5) Outfield: Conine, J.Pierre, Encarnacion. (3) Bench: Lowell, Redmond, Mordecai, Fox, Castro, Banks. (6) Pitching: Redman, Beckett, Willis, Penny (?), Pavanno, Urbina, Looper, Tejera, Bump, Fox, Helling. (11) That's 25. Easy, huh?
September 13, 200323 yr Author Holly over Banks.... other than that I agree Arnie RAMP If McKeon agrees with you, we'll see more of Holly the next few weeks. Lord knows he has the natural talent (just don't know where it went). My suggestion of 11 pitchers out of the 25 Roster... (time out! Cabrera just hit a home run! 6 zip. Love it) Concerned about Penny. But, McKeon has shown he knows how to use the bull-pen. So, I want him to have a full-bull-pen hand.
September 27, 200323 yr Allright boys and girls.... Here is my roster. pitchers(11)...josh beckett, brad penny, dontrelle willis, mark redman, carl pavano, rick helling, nate bump, michael tejera, chad fox, braden looper, uggy catchers (2)...ivan rodriguez, mike redmond infielders (8)...derrek lee, luis castillo, alex gonzalez, miguel cabrera, mike lowell, lenny harris, mike mordacei, andy fox outfielders (4)...juan encarnacion, juan pierre, jeff conine, brian banks argue away
September 27, 200323 yr Allright boys and girls.... Here is my roster. pitchers(11)...josh beckett, brad penny, dontrelle willis, mark redman, carl pavano, rick helling, nate bump, michael tejera, chad fox, braden looper, uggy catchers (2)...ivan rodriguez, mike redmond infielders (8)...derrek lee, luis castillo, alex gonzalez, miguel cabrera, mike lowell, lenny harris, mike mordacei, andy fox outfielders (4)...juan encarnacion, juan pierre, jeff conine, brian banks argue away I would rather have Castro than Helling.
September 27, 200323 yr Allright boys and girls.... Here is my roster. pitchers(11)...josh beckett, brad penny, dontrelle willis, mark redman, carl pavano, rick helling, nate bump, michael tejera, chad fox, braden looper, uggy catchers (2)...ivan rodriguez, mike redmond infielders (8)...derrek lee, luis castillo, alex gonzalez, miguel cabrera, mike lowell, lenny harris, mike mordacei, andy fox outfielders (4)...juan encarnacion, juan pierre, jeff conine, brian banks argue away I would put in Hollandsworth For either Fox or Harris
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.