How to solve the Loria problem

In my humble opinion, I think Major League baseball should intercede with the Marlins and Jeffrey Loria, just as they did in 2002. This time, orchestrate his sale of the team to the owner of Telemundo (sorry, forgot his name), and sell the Nationals back to Loria. Unlike when he owned them as the Expos, they're in a new city and are getting a stadium built for them. This way, Loria gets what he wants, a stadium and a team in a city with a growing fanbase. Also, I get what I want, a better owner who will put up the extra money needed for our stadium. Plus, I would just like to see Loria gone.

I don't get all the hate on Loria. I don't blame him at all. He's done all he can. The blame here falls on the fans and the city of Miami. He's the owner of the team and has the right to keep his team and seek relocation if he wants to. I still like him...

Loria has done his best to operate this team that is still dealing with the after-effects of Huizenga's tenure. I respect him for putting us in position to win a second world series and for doing what it took to get us there the next two years...its not his fault the players under-performed, and its not his fault that we don't have a large fanbase to begin with. Would you rather have small-pockets Loria, who at least cares, or a rich owner like Huizenga that sees our team as an asset and will be the one truly responsibile if they move (minus crappy Florida legislators of course).

I don't get all the hate on Loria. I don't blame him at all. He's done all he can. The blame here falls on the fans and the city of Miami. He's the owner of the team and has the right to keep his team and seek relocation if he wants to. I still like him...

I agree with everything you said exept the part about him relocating the team.

They're the Florida Marlins. If the team is too big a financial burden, sell the team to someone with deeper pockets.

They're the Florida Marlins. If the team is too big a financial burden, sell the team to someone with deeper pockets.

This recurring theme that someone else will be willing to lose tens of millions of dollars a year because they have deeper pockets remains one of the linchpins of this recurring and totally faulty theme. As is the theory that someone would be willing to a) pay what the team is worth and then b) provately fund a new stadium to the tune of $450-500 million. It's just of the same old same where people only look at one side of the balance sheet.

This recurring theme that someone else will be willing to lose tens of millions of dollars a year because they have deeper pockets remains one of the linchpins of this recurring and totally faulty theme. As is the theory that someone would be willing to a) pay what the team is worth and then b) provately fund a new stadium to the tune of $450-500 million. It's just of the same old same where people only look at one side of the balance sheet.

Deeper pockets means a stadium deal won't fall through when there is a $30 million funding gap.

Deeper pockets means a stadium deal won't fall through when there is a $30 million funding gap.

Typical.

Surely the state's refusal to contribute what nearly every major league franchise in Florida has and Arriolla's attitude surely had an equal negative effect on the Marlins' feelings on the stadium deal than a funding gap.

Typical.

Surely the state's refusal to contribute what nearly every major league franchise in Florida has and Arriolla's attitude surely had an equal negative effect on the Marlins' feelings on the stadium deal than a funding gap.

Sure. But if either Cisneros or Codina are the owners they get this deal done. It's as simple as that. Those two are local. Loria is a carpetbagger. We need local ownership.

Typical.

Sure. But if either Cisneros or Codina are the owners they get this deal done. It's as simple as that. Those two are local. Loria is a carpetbagger. We need local ownership.

I can see a person making an argument for local ownership of the Marlins. But if you are going to make that argument, I don't know how you can include Gustavo Cisneros. That man is no local. He is a Venezuelan billionaire media mogul.