Girardi BLASTS the team in a closed door meeting

Accord

Girardi blasts Marlins after team blows two big leads

BY CLARK SPENCER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

CINCINNATI - The Florida Marlins hit 1,708 feet worth of home runs, which comes to nearly a third of a mile. But they also made several boneheaded fielding and baserunning blunders, and that added up to what angry manager Joe Girardi denounced as an "embarrassing" loss Wednesday to the Cincinnati Reds.

"I hope they're getting tired of it," Girardi said after watching the Marlins blow two big leads in a 9-8 loss at Great American Ball Park. "We can't keep making mistakes. Seventeen days in the season, and you can't keep making the same mistakes. It's our first chance we've had to win a series, and we should have won a series."

Girardi lambasted the team to reporters after he did the same to his players in a closed-door clubhouse meeting following Wednesday's debacle.

It was probably deserved.

Propelled by four home runs, including what could be the longest ever blasted by a Marlin - Reggie Abercrombie's titanic, 493-foot blast, which was his first major-league homer, high up in the left-field bleachers - the Marlins looked to be safely on their way to their first series win of the season.

They had leads of 5-0 and, as late as the seventh, 8-4.

But it all collapsed as the Reds tied the score with three runs in the eighth before winning it in the ninth on Edwin Encarnacion's RBI double, the Reds only extra-base hit.

"These are not games we can give away," Girardi said.

Give it away they did, though, and as has been so often the case in their defeats, there wasn't one culprit. There was a posse of them Wednesday, including three of the four Marlins to hit home runs: Abercrombie, catcher Miguel Olivo and second baseman Dan Uggla.

BLUNDERS

Abercrombie was picked off second after venturing too far from the base, perhaps robbing the Marlins of a bigger inning than the three runs they put up in the fourth.

Olivo bounced an errant pickoff throw into center field, leading to the Reds' first run in their late-inning surge.

And with the bases loaded and the Marlins clinging to an 8-5 lead in the eighth, Uggla fielded Felipe Lopez's ground ball that deflected off the glove of reliever Matt Herges. In his haste to throw out the runner at first, Uggla short-hopped the throw through the legs of first baseman Mike Jacobs and into the Reds dugout.

Two runs scored on the play, and the Reds tied it shortly thereafter.

"That kind of play you're better off just to hold it," Uggla said.

Said Girardi: "You can't make spectacular plays when there's nothing there."

Not even starting pitcher Dontrelle Willis was immune from Girardi's postgame criticisms. Willis didn't receive a decision and thereby remained unbeaten in April for his career. But he wasn't sharp, walking four and running up a high pitch count that precipitated his removal after completing six innings.

"Dontrelle pitched too many pitches in too few innings, and it cost him a win," Girardi said.

The day started in grand fashion for the Marlins. Miguel Cabrera launched a 440-foot solo home run in the first, Olivo added a solo home run in the second and Uggla blasted a three-run shot in the fourth off Reds starter Aaron Harang to put the Marlins up 5-0.

Cincinnati scored four in the fourth off Willis, all of the runs coming with two out.

LONG SHOT

But the Marlins rebuilt the lead in the sixth when Abercrombie led off with a gargantuan home run that ranked as the third-longest ever hit at the Reds' relatively new ballpark. Only Adam Dunn, who connected on a 535-footer that bounced onto a piece of driftwood floating in the Ohio River, and Wily Mo Pena's 498-foot shot last season went longer.

Josh Willingham's two-run single extended the lead to 8-4.

But the Reds rallied, tying the score off relievers Ricky Nolasco and Herges in the eighth and winning it in the ninth off Todd Wellemeyer.

"We're trying to do too much," Girardi said. "It's everyone. They've worked their butts off, and you just can't work your butts off and throw it away because you try to do too much. You can't get too high when you score two runs in an inning, three runs in an inning."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/14381533.htm

"Dontrelle pitched too many pitches in too few innings, and it cost him a win," Girardi said.

Girardi better not piss off our best player. Losing 5 one run games kind of falls on the manager just as much as the team. :mischief2

Yep, Joe was the one who made those errors and walked the batters. :whistle

If D-Train and Cabs thought that Jack was tough, I don't think they've seen anything yet out of Joe. And if it gets these guys fired up to go out there and not give away games like they have been doing, then all the better.

I never heard of Miguel or Dontrelle complaining about Jack.

With that said, I hope we see less mistakes as the season goes on

Girardi better not piss off our best player. Losing 5 one run games kind of falls on the manager just as much as the team. :mischief2

Then why is he managing?

Guest Guest

Good, he needed to say something. Can't just ignore it.

Joe will yell at them, make them concentrate better on the game situation. The kids will get the message, Joe will hug them, take them out for ice cream and the next game will be better.

That's exactly how my little league coach treated my team back when he coined me Admin "Monster" Walansky :lol

if the players are making stupid mistakes its because the coaches werent teaching them the basics during spring training

They're in the majors- they shouldn't have to be taught the basics. From what I've read, they did spend a lot of time on the basics in Spring Training though, which makes these mistakes even more frustrating for Girardi and the team.

And the coaches aren't the ones making bad throws or walking too many batters.

If D-Train and Cabs thought that Jack was tough, I don't think they've seen anything yet out of Joe. And if it gets these guys fired up to go out there and not give away games like they have been doing, then all the better.

I never heard of Miguel or Dontrelle complaining about Jack.

With that said, I hope we see less mistakes as the season goes on

Dontrelle has said that Jack has been hard on the team before, he said Jack yelled at him in his first game about "fooling around and to start making the right pitches already."

I don't mind the losses, I want them to feel every ache and pain of a loss and get all these mistakes off their chest. The earlier the better, that way they won't make them again.

Guest Festa

Some excerpts of what was said:

Girardi: You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Rick!

Kranitz: Lollygaggers!

Girardi: Lollygaggers.

Some excerpts of what was said:

Girardi: You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Rick!

Kranitz: Lollygaggers!

Girardi: Lollygaggers.

:lol :notworthy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.