if mitre just stays away from that one multi run homer hell be much be

btnhmarlins

mann all he has to do is stay away from the big homer. he had khalil grennes three run homer, chucrches two run homer, and howards two run homer that really killed all three pretty good outings.... opinions????

All the guys you mentioned can mash. No one likes to lose and no likes to see our guy give HRs be we certainly had our chances today to climb back and at least tie, if not win this game. We lost to the opposing team's ace and one of the best closers in the game.

Our guy, Cabrera, was AWOL today. Stuff happens.

Guest Juanky

His problem is that he sometimes leaves pitches up in the zone, and he's had to pay for all of those pitches so far this year. Soon as he levels that out he'll be beyond solid.

Guest FishFanInPA

mann all he has to do is stay away from the big homer. he had khalil grennes three run homer, chucrches two run homer, and howards two run homer that really killed all three pretty good outings.... opinions????

All the guys you mentioned can mash. No one likes to lose and no likes to see our guy give HRs be we certainly had our chances today to climb back and at least tie, if not win this game. We lost to the opposing team's ace and one of the best closers in the game.

Gordon isn't even close to one of the best closers in the game.....More then half are better then him.

Gordon isn't even close to one of the best closers in the game.....More then half are better then him.

Sure :banghead

Mitre has been bitten by the long ball in key situations. Its all about geting into the zone quickly, and when he does he CAN pitch. We know he doesnt have overpowering and it seems when he has to throw a strike its right down the pipe and a guy like a Howard or Church makes him pay for it.

if he doesnt walk ppl, this wont happen

His problem is that he sometimes leaves pitches up in the zone, and he's had to pay for all of those pitches so far this year. Soon as he levels that out he'll be beyond solid.

he gives up a lot of homeruns, this is his weakness. why would it necessarily level out? why do people think he'll be "beyond solid?" Does that mean he'll be better than an average starter (#3)?

I think he could be valuable to us in long-relief or as a 5th starter, but I don't think he'll be as great as so many have said.

Guest Juanky

he gives up a lot of homeruns, this is his weakness. why would it necessarily level out? why do people think he'll be "beyond solid?" Does that mean he'll be better than an average starter (#3)?Only reason he gives up homeruns is when the ball starts drifting upwards. That can be fixed.

Its all about geting into the zone quickly, and when he does he CAN pitch.

Yep.

The thing about the sinker and sinking fastball (or slider or curve) is when it doesn't sink, it looks like a big hold beach ball to the batter. No movement on a pitch that's coming at 88-93 mph can get you drilled in the majors. Nearly every major leaguer can hit a mistake pitch.

Its all about geting into the zone quickly, and when he does he CAN pitch.

Yep.

The thing about the sinker and sinking fastball (or slider or curve) is when it doesn't sink, it looks like a big hold beach ball to the batter. No movement on a pitch that's coming at 88-93 mph can get you drilled in the majors. Nearly every major leaguer can hit a mistake pitch.

But Mitre also has a solid Change up and a good curve ball.

Possibly. I tend to think it's less likely given his age and track record.

He's 25. Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson both sucked at that age. Not comparing Mitre to those two, but just showing that he's very young and can improve.

It's a bad example because both the pitchers you name had great stuff that they weren't yet able to harness. This is not the case with Mitre.

Possibly. I tend to think it's less likely given his age and track record.

He's 25. Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson both sucked at that age. Not comparing Mitre to those two, but just showing that he's very young and can improve.

It's a bad example because both the pitchers you name had great stuff that they weren't yet able to harness. This is not the case with Mitre.

All I am saying is that plenty of pitchers get better between age 25 and, say, age 32. You make it sound like he's hit his ceiling.

No, I just said it's likely that his value will be at long-reliever and/or 5th starter, but better than a AAAA player. I base this off performance and scouting reports. I also said it's a "possibilty" that he does exceed these projections, but it's not a very good chance. I'm curious...what do you project him to turn out as?

The only reason people are now overrating Mitre is that he's now a Marlin. It wouldn't be the case if he was putting up these numbers for the Cubs...of course except for Cub's fans. Oh well.

No, I just said it's likely that his value will be at long-reliever and/or 5th starter, but better than a AAAA player. I base this off performance and scouting reports. I also said it's a "possibilty" that he does exceed these projections, but it's not a very good chance. I'm curious...what do you project him to turn out as?

The only reason people are now overrating Mitre is that he's now a Marlin. It wouldn't be the case if he was putting up these numbers for the Cubs...of course except for Cub's fans. Oh well.

I personally see Mitre as a solid #3 starter.

I project him to be a solid fourth starter for a winning team. Dependable, but not spectacular. Once he hits his prime, he could consistently put up these numbers for about 3-4 years: 3.50-3.90 ERA, 200 IP.

I project him to be a solid fourth starter for a winning team. Dependable, but not spectacular. Once he hits his prime, he could consistently put up these numbers for about 3-4 years: 3.50-3.90 ERA, 200 IP.

ok, so we're not that far apart. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot like Spike who thinks he belongs in single-A or bagging groceries...but a valuable pitcher for sure. I'm curious if there's something out there that says what an ace, 3rd starter, 5th starter, etc should produce.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.