Second Guessing: Uggla's first inning bunt

Guest Juanky

Guest Juanky

I was angry with it at the time but seeing how the game played out, it really cost us. With Hanley Ramirez on second base and nobody out, Dan Uggla bunts on the very first pitch. He ends up fouling out to the catcher and Miguel Cabrera grounds out to third to record the second out. However, the next two batters (Willingham and Jacobs) walk to load the bases for Matt Cepicky, who ends the inning on a ground out to the second baseman.

Now, lots of things could have changed if either the bunt goes down well or if he swings away. However, in the first inning and with the runner already in scoring position, why take the bat out of the hands of the #2 man in the lineup just to move the runner to third? Only difference is that he scores on a Cabrera sac fly, but other than that there's no difference as Ramirez is fast enough to score on any hit in the outfield from second. In the first inning, it's a better idea to let Uggla get a hack to have a higher chance of driving that run in.

And that's not even getting on the offense's insistence on swinging at first pitches after Myers had such a tough first inning.

Guest Fritz

Honestly, Cabrera looked and played as if he were hung-over. Second guessing today just seems like a lost cause to me.

...either hung over or had a few too many cheesesteaks at Gino's!

Far more likely hungover.

Anyway, on topic. I agree that the bunt was a pretty idiotic move and the 1st pitch swinging throughout the game was terrible coaching. Meyers through 30 pitches in the first inning and we let him go all the way into the 7th. That's unacceptable. Granted, you can't expect a 30 pitch inning every inning, but he should've been out after 5 or so innings.

sac bunting in the first inning is absolutely retarded, and I don't really like it to being with.

I'm also a little miffed that Cepicky has been starting over Aguila just because we're facing righties. At least Aguila has a shot to be something at the major league level, while I don't see Cepicky as anything more than 5th OF at best and AAA depth as most realistic.

I'm not a fan of sacrifice bunting in general unless there is a very mediocre hitter at the plate. With the runner already in scoring position and the heart of the order coming up, there was a greater probability of getting the run in with the extra out.

Uggla should have been swinging away.

I agree, especially early in the game. Uggla has been swinging the bat well, so let him swing. A well placed ball to the right side moves the runner over, plus there's a good chance of getting a hit. My guess is he executes that better than a bunt.

ok...ill play the devil's advocate in this one because i love bunting...but i usually reserve it for guys who can actually do it...Uggla for all he does well...i can almost guarentee he cant bunt to save his life...so my guess here is that girardi knew the marlins have always struggled with myers...so to get an early run on myers would be a real big boost for the kids...anyways...thats just my thinking

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.