FutureGM's Summer Movie Watch List

FutureGM

May

Must See Films:

-X-Men: The Last Stand: The final film in the X-Men saga, this looks to be the most action-packed of the three. The second film was a major step up from the original, and the additions of several of the more well-known mutants from the comics (Beast, Angel, Juggernaut) promise to take this film to a new level.

-The Da Vinci Code: Although I personally found the ending to the novel somewhat disappointing, the skilled cast of this film promises a strong performance.

Could Go Either Way...

-Poseidon: This remake has a relatively weak cast for a summer epic-style film. The leads are either young, relatively unknown actors (Josh Lucas, Emmy Rossum), or over-the-hill performers (Kurt Russell, Richard Dreyfuss). I believe there's a strong chance of this movie being a major bomb.

-Mission Impossible 3: Six years since the sequel was released, and a decade since the original, this long-overdue sequel has been delayed for two to three years by Cruise's availability. The cast has changed more times than can be counted, and even though the film comes out in about 10 days, I have no idea what the plot of this movie is. Luckily for this film, a strong supporting cast led by the 2005 Best Actor (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and the Matrix-alum (Laurence Fishburne) makes it more likely that it will be a success, despite the massive gaps in-between releases.

Avoid Like the Plague!

-Over the Hedge: Welcome to the year of the animated talking animal movies. Apparently the success of last year's "Madagascar" has prompted the other Hollywood studios to put out copies like Disney's "The Wild" (released two weeks ago) and now this movie.

-See No Evil: Starring a pro-wrestler, and produced by the WWE's new movie production company, what more could you want in a horror film? Get as far away from this one as you can.

June

Must See Films:

-Superman Returns: The restart of the "Superman" franchise begins with this film. The question is, will it be able to live up to the example of "Batman Begins," last summer's excellent restart of another stalled DC comic book franchise? Although the lead is played by an unknown actor, the supporting cast of Kate Bosworth, James Marsden, and Kevin Spacey will help him to succeed. Look for the return of the deceased Marlon Brando as Superman's father. Interestingly, despite what the trailers show, this is not an origin story. It may briefly focus on the Man of Steel's origins, but he is supposed to be an established character in the film already.

Could Go Either Way...

-The Omen: Although this film has received very little publicity so far, it may be the alternative for people who would rather see a movie based around the prophecies of the Biblical book "Revelations," rather than another film based on a fictional novel that has proved controversial. The film itself is actually a remake of a 1976 film, and the idea of the End of the World as stated in the Bible has been the subject of multiple past films.

-Nacho Libre: Jack Black returns as a Mexican priest who moonlights as a professional wrestler. Written by the same people that came up with "School of Rock," this movie will most likely be targeting a younger audience. If Jack Black wasn't leading this film, I would immediately write it off as a bomb. However, he has the unique ability to salvage bad films from the abyss.

-Cars: The latest Pixar release looks a lot less promising than their previous ideas. I couldn't begin to tell you what the point of this movie is. However, being a Pixar movie, it will almost certainly make a lot of money. This could very well be the weakest of their films so far.

Avoid Like the Plague!

-The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift: The third installment in this franchise moves the film overseas to Tokyo, and contains none of the characters from the first two films. The only possible draw of the movie is the switch to 'drift' racing, and, of course, the races themselves. Everything else is just unnecessary. I can personally guarantee that this will be the worst of the three movies.

-Garfield 2:The sequel to the poorly received live action version of the comic strip also comes out this month. The first one barely made enough to break even, so it's unlikely that its' sequel will be able to do the same.

July

Must See Films:

-Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest: Captain Jack Sparrow returns to face the infamous Davy Jones, in this sequel to the popular movie. This is about the best film due out in July, as it all goes downhill from here. I look forward to this movie.

Could Go Either Way...

-Miami Vice: The movie version of the popular 1980's TV show is the second biggest release of the month of July. Starring two excellent actors, Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell, only the plot could potentially hold off this movie from being a hit. It will be interesting to see how this series works on the big screen, and whether the directors take this movie seriously, or make it an action-comedy. My bet is on the former.

-Lady in the Water: The latest film directed by M. Night Shyamalan stars Paul Giamatti, and one of the leads from his last movie, Bryce Dallas Howard. Not much is known about this, other than the fact that it involves Dallas Howard as some kind of mix between a nymph and a mermaid, who is being hunted by mysterious creatures. I have felt that since "The Sixth Sense," Shyamalan's films have gotten worse and worse. It looks to me like this trend will continue with this film, but I could certainly be wrong.

Avoid Like the Plague!

There are many movies that look horrible in July, but the worst one has to be:

-Little Man: Directed by one of the Wayans brothers, starring the other two Wayans brothers (oh, and apparently Tracy Morgan shows up as well). Marlon Wayans plays a poorly-CGI'd midget thief, who pretends to be a child to recover a stolen diamond from Shawn Wayans. Don't ask, I have no idea. After seeing the trailer for this movie in the theater recently, I had to keep myself from leaving the theater by force.

August

Must See Films:

-Flags of Our Fathers: Directed by Clint Eastwood, produced by Steven Spielberg, and written by Paul Haggis, this film tells the story of the Battle of Iwo Jima in 1945, and the fates of the soldiers who were immortalized in the famous picture of the raising of the American flag on that barren island. The film is based on the book of the same name.

-Clerks II:The long awaited sequel to Kevin Smith's cult classic movie brings back Jay and Silent Bob, along with the two clerks from the original, as they face their 30's. I recommend watching the trailer for this film, it looks hilarious.

Could Go Either Way...

-World Trade Center: Oliver Stone takes on 9/11, telling the story of two policemen who helped to rescue people from the Twin Towers before they fell, and became trapped in the wreck. The film focuses on the search and rescue operation that took place for weeks after 9/11, and the families' reaction to the incident. I think that the success or failure of this week's "Flight 93" will be a good judge of how the public will react to this other 9/11 movie.

-Snakes On a Plane: This movie with the straightforward title may have been a dud, if it wasn't for all of the press that it has been getting. Of course, this film has been repeatedly lampooned on the Internet, but it is possible that this press could have a positive effect on how much money it makes. However, I would not recommend this film, as it looks like a dud for the most part, unless you like Samuel L. Jackson a lot.

-Talladega Nights: The newest film starring Will Ferrell puts him in the drivers' seat of a NASCAR. The summary of this film reminds me a lot of the recent Anchorman movie, and hopefully it can be at least as good as that. Will Ferrell is probably the only comedian that could get me to go to a movie that involved NASCAR in any way, so this one is a toss-up.

Avoid Like the Plague!

-DOA (Dead or Alive): The film adaptation of the video game where women fight to the death, Tekken-style. How this could possibly translate into a successful movie, is beyond me. If "Mortal Kombat" and "Street Fighter" can't make good movies, there's no way this one will.

In summary, this summer looks to be very similar to last year, where the best films came out at the beginning, and the worst were at the end. Although the schedule could change, this is how I have projected the success of the summer movies as of now. July is the weakest month, with only "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Miami Vice" coming out. This summer has an unprecedented three movies that are the third in their respective series (MI:3, X-Men 3, Fast and the Furious 3). In addition to the long-awaited third installment of Mission Impossible, there is the long-overdue sequel to Clerks to look forward to.

I look forward to reading any feedback on my opinions and comments.

Guest Fritz

Over the Hedge looks like crap.

Cars will be great.

Clerks II will suck.

Miami Vice will be great. Michael Mann is a great director and his visual style is absolutely amazing.

Over the Hedge looks like crap.

Cars will be great.

Clerks II will suck.

Miami Vice will be great. Michael Mann is a great director and his visual style is absolutely amazing.

I disagree about Miami Vice. It just looks like ten other movies I've seen, from Tango and Cash on up to Bad Boys 2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.