Snow at the White House

Dan Marino Forever 13

Snow takes White House job

Fox News analyst replaces McClellan as press secretary

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush announced his new White House press secretary on Wednesday: former Fox News host Tony Snow.

"As a professional journalist, Tony Snow understands the importance of the relationship between government and those whose job it is to cover the government," Bush said during a White House appearance.

Snow replaces Scott McClellan, who announced last week he would step down during a West Wing makeover by Josh Bolten, the new White House chief of staff.

Snow, 50, was a weekend news anchor and political analyst for the Fox News Channel, which he joined in 1996. He also hosted "The Tony Snow Show" on Fox News Radio.

The GOP sources said that before agreeing to take the post Snow had sought and received assurances from Bolten and other senior White House officials that he would be an active participant in major policy debates and would have a significant say in hiring in the press and communications operations.

Snow also had lunch with Bush to discuss his role, two of those sources said.

The White House approached Snow weeks ago about the job, and sources familiar with his deliberations said he had been focusing on family, financial and health issues in making a decision.

Snow was diagnosed with colon cancer in February 2005 and had been awaiting medical clearance before making a final decision.

The sources said that over the past week, he discussed the post with an array of senior administration officials as well as aides in previous GOP administrations and Republicans close to the White House.

As one source put it, Snow wanted to "address some of his questions and build a comfort level" before giving Bolten a final decision.

The position will be Snow's second stint at the White House, where he was director of speechwriting during the President George H.W. Bush's administration.

He was a nationally syndicated columnist with The Detroit News in Detroit, Michigan, from 1993 to 2001 and was a columnist for USA Today from 1994 to 2000.

Before then, he was an editorial writer at The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk; editorial page editor of The Daily Press in Newport News, Virginia; deputy editorial page editor of The Detroit News; and editorial page editor of The Washington Times.

McClellan became press secretary in July 2003 after his predecessor, Ari Fleischer, resigned. McClellan had been deputy press secretary under Fleischer.

So the President makes a change in staff, hires a qualified and competent person for the job, and he gets blasted for hiring someone because they said bad stuff about him on Fox News Radio?

All I have to say is that I am pleased with the selection of Snow for the job. Tony has the patience and attitude to deal with the White House Press daily and I look forward to his Q&A sessions....something that I didn't look forward to with McClellan.

This is like Tim Russert becoming the Press Secretary to me. Can't wait to see how he deals with NBC's David Gregory.

oh god.. they're giving us a guy from the republican news station to tell us what they want us to hear? They couldn't even try to make it a little subtle?

Bush's IQ is in the double digits..

Tony Snow is well respected in DC circles. Fox News Sunday could beat down every other show except Meet The Press....not exactly easy in mid-1990's DC where FNC was just a baby in a crowded scene.

oh god.. they're giving us a guy from the republican news station to tell us what they want us to hear? They couldn't even try to make it a little subtle?

Tony Snow is well respected in DC circles. Fox News Sunday could beat down every other show except Meet The Press....not exactly easy in mid-1990's DC where FNC was just a baby in a crowded scene.

I wouldn't take ANYONE from a bias news source to tell the nation whats going on.

Guest Festa

I wouldn't take ANYONE from a bias news source to tell the nation whats going on.

So you wouldn't take anyone from CNN or CBS?

BAH GAWD THE LIBERAL MEDIA! :lol

if theres a dispute over whether or not the individual can present what needws presenting in a fair manner, it should be looked at again. In this situation, were not looking at anyone from another station, were looking at a fox analyst, and thats just not right.

Guest Festa

if theres a dispute over whether or not the individual can present what needws presenting in a fair manner, it should be looked at again. In this situation, were not looking at anyone from another station, were looking at a fox analyst, and thats just not right.

The liberal media exist. I like how there are some liberals that deny it's existence and then bash Fox News for leaning to the right. :rolleyes:

You wouldn't be whining if it were a Democrat in office they selected someone from these two networks. Personally I don't care. If you have someone that will present the views of any administration correctly, than go ahead and hire them.

Why is it not right to have a Fox News analyst? Come on give me a good excuse. :rolleyes:

The liberal media exist. I like how there are some liberals that deny it's existence. :rolleyes:

You wouldn't be whining if it were a Democrat in office they selected someone from these two networks. Personally I don't care. If you have someone that will present the views of any administration correctly, than go ahead and hire them.

Why is it not right to have a Fox News analyst? Come on give me a good excuse. :rolleyes:

wait, thats all a joke right? (missed the sarcasm, my bad)

Why are you so shocked? Did you expect the White House to hire some douchebag like David Gregory? Tony Snow is well qualified for the job, he is incredibly articulate and a former presidential speech writer among other things and he has been involved in politics long before Fox News even existed.

Why are you so shocked? Did you expect the White House to hire some douchebag like David Gregory? Tony Snow is well qualified for the job, he is incredibly articulate and a former presidential speech writer among other things and he has been involved in politics long before Fox News even existed.

This was not a shock to me, although I held out some hope that they would not hire someone blatantly conservative.

This was not a shock to me, although I held out some hope that they would not hire someone blatantly conservative.

His job is to be a mouthpiece for the administration, of course they're going to hire someone within the conservative "inner circle."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.