Joe and Mitre's comments on todays loss

MIAMI -- Missed opportunities overshadowed strong starting pitching, resulting in the Marlins being swept by the Rockies on Sunday afternoon.

Byung-Hyun Kim gave up one run in 6 2/3 innings and struck out a career-high nine batters, while Luis Gonzalez homered to spark the Rockies to a 3-1 win over the Marlins at Dolphin Stadium.

The Marlins and Rockies each joined the league in 1993. And for the first time in the Rockies' history they swept the Marlins in Miami.

In defeat, Marlins right-hander Sergio Mitre enjoyed a solid outing, giving up two runs on seven hits with five strikeouts in seven innings.

After losing two straight one-run games to the Rockies, falling by two runs on Sunday was another example of a young Florida team coming up just short.

Girardi noted that despite having a 6-16 record, the Marlins have been outscored this season by just 16 total runs (110-94).

"You'd think we'd be outscored by 40 runs," Girardi said. "I look at the stats and we're outscored by [16] runs, and we're 10 games under .500. It's hard to believe."

Eleven of Florida's losses have been by two runs or less.

"We were in a situation the last six games to win every game, and we won one," Girardi said.

Mitre certainly gave the Marlins an opportunity to win. Originally scheduled to start on Friday, the right-hander took the ball instead on Sunday to give a turf toe injury, or inflamed right big toe, a few extra days of rest.

"It was a great outing," Girardi said of Mitre. "He kept the ball down. When he got behind hitters, he was still able to get guys out."

Mitre said he had to battle throughout the game, throwing 107 pitches with 62 strikes.

"I was able to make pitches when I had to, but I put myself in some tough spots," Mitre said.

Losing close games is becoming tiresome for the struggling Marlins.

"It gets old fast," Mitre said. "I'm sure we're going to be OK. It's early, but we have to manage on how to get those runs across the board. Once we do, I'm sure we will be OK."

The Marlins had opportunities throughout the series, but were unable to convert at pivotal times.

In the seventh inning, Mike Jacobs led off with a double. With one out, Miguel Olivo reach on an infield single to third. Garrett Atkins made a wide throw to first, and the ball dashed by Jason Smith, allowing Olivo to go to second. Jacobs advanced to third, and slid into the base as the throw sailed wide. By sliding, Jacobs was not able to recover in time to attempt to score.

Jacobs decided to slide when he saw Atkins drift back toward third base after making his throw across the diamond.

"You can't really anticipate him making a bad throw, and I don't think you can anticipate rounding the bag there," Jacobs said. "From what I'm looking at it, the guy that made the throw looked like he was going to come back to the bag as if he can make a play. So obviously I've got to slide and get down.

"If he makes a good throw, there is a good chance he can be throwing back to third. Not being fast anyway, I'm not going to obviously round the bag."

Kim then struck out pinch-hitter Wes Helms, and reliever Scott Dohmann got pinch-hitter Matt Cepicky swinging to end the threat.

The speed of Eric Reed set up a run in the third inning. After Kim retired the first seven Marlins, with four being strikeouts, Reed reached on an infield single. He stole second and scored on Alfredo Amezaga's two-out single.

Colorado pushed across an unearned run in the second inning. Miguel Cabrera's throwing error allowed Atkins to reach. A single by Brad Hawpe put runners on the corners. And Smith sliced an RBI single.

In the third inning, Cory Sullivan led off with a triple and scored on a Clint Barmes single.

The Rockies added an insurance run on Gonzalez's home run off Matt Herges in the eighth inning. It was Gonzalez's third hit of the day.

Offensively, the Marlins remain plagued by high strikeout totals.

Kim, with his submarine motion, baffled the Marlins in his first outing of the season. The right-hander had been out with a right hamstring injury, but he effectively shut down the Marlins.

Kim, Dohmann and Jose Mesa, who collected the save, combined to strike out 12. In the series, the Marlins struck out 34 times. "Obviously, you worry about it," Girardi said of the mounting strikeouts. "Strikeouts usually are about approach and adjustments. I'm not a big fan of moral victories."

FloridaMarlins.com

When they have good pitching they can't hit.

when they hit, they have bad pitching.

And on Saturday night, why doesn't some one tell guys like Aguila and Abercrombie to be a little patient, after a pitcher shows wildeness in a plunked cabrera and jacobs being walked just before they go up.

ya know?

When they have good pitching they can't hit.

when they hit, they have bad pitching.

And on Saturday night, why doesn't some one tell guys like Aguila and Abercrombie to be a little patient, after a pitcher shows wildeness in a plunked cabrera and jacobs being walked just before they go up.

ya know?

I was there Saturday wondering the same thing!

:( Joe, we feel your pain. I just watched the video, he looks pissed, and hope-less. This is not new for us fans, joe, welcome to the club.

Joe has that demeanor in every video of him. One would hope he wouldn't carry that into the clubhouse because it sure would be a downer....but likely that is just the way he is.

Look, Joe comes from the Yankee organization that is used to winning the AL East and World Series titles. Now, all of the sudden, he's on a team with a payroll that is less than 10% that of the Yankees. He's not used to losing. Of course he's going to be on the brink of tears when his club is 10 games below .500 in the month of April and it has shown no signs of improving.

They strikeout alot! Blame it on someone who thinks that A AA and AAA players are ready for the majors, thats like saying to a person who has been boxing for 8 months to go fight tyson.

now-a-days that's really not saying much...

I dunno, I think Joe needs some pointers himself. Where's McKeon, isn't he supposed to be helping him learn or something? The only serious negative thing I remember about McKeon was that he had an infatuation with Nate Bump. Other then that, he seemed to like getting good, young guys to play.