Dontrelle's Free Agency

Fish2Repeat

Ever since 2003, I have been under the impression that Dontrelle got called up before the Super-Two Deadline and went on to pitch the required number of innings to have '03 count as the first of his six years of the Marlins holding exclusive rights. Then today, I went to read Marlins Mailbag (link below) and read the following:

"Willis is eligible for arbitration, meaning the team can keep signing him year-to-year, through the 2009 season. Many reports keep saying Willis is a free agent after the 2008 season. That is inaccurate. He is eligible for free agency after the 2009 season, because at that point he will have more than six years of MLB service time. The same with Cabrera."

I can't imagine this is true, especially considering Dontrelle already received his first arbitration pay raise before this season, meaning (or at least I thought so) that we only hold two more years of exclusive rights.

Thanks in advance for whoever offers some sort of clarification.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

It's true, 6 years calculated in terms of service days.

Dontrelle will not have 6 full seasons of service days until after '09. He received "super-two" status because his service time was in the top 5% or 10% (can't remember) of his service group. All it does is get him to arbitration faster, free-agency is unchanged by talent or super-two status.

Hope that helps.

It doesn't matter if a player has been an all-star or has been in the top 5% of his group, he still needs to have 6 years of service time (I don't know the minimum in games for pitchers), but he'll continue to receive arbitration through the 2009 season if he stays healthy.

Being a "Super-Two" in no way absolves a player from fulfilling the 6 "years" (each year is 172 days, unless the season is interrupted) of major league service [on a major league roster during the regular season] required before being eligible to declare free agency. It simply rewards the top 17% of players with an extra year of arbitration eligibility.

Dontrelle and Miguel will not be eligible for free agency until after the 2009 season. And let's just say they come down with the suck and get sent down to the minors for an extended period, they might not become free agents until after the 2010 season as major league service time is timed on a stopwatch (days on a MLB roster) not a clock (perputually running).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.