ps3 date and cost released at the e3

^_^

E3 2006: PS3 Date and Price Announced

System to come in two configurations, will cost up to $599.

by Jeff Haynes

May 8, 2006 - In a last minute bombshell, Kaz Hirai announced the specific date and details of the PS3 launch. The PS3 will be arranged in two separate system configurations: a 20 and a 60 gigabyte hard drive system. What's more, Japan will see the PS3 first on November 11th, at a price for 59,800 yen for the 20 gigabyte system setup. The 60 gigabyte system will be open ended and set by retailers. North America, Europe and Australasia will see the system six days later on November 17th. The price? $499 dollars or 499 Euros for the 20 gig version, and $599 dollars or 599 Euros for the 60 gig version.

Hirai also announced that Sony will try to get a grand total of six million units shipped by March 31, 2007, which is Sony's fiscal date: 2 million PS3s will be available during the initial launch window, another 2 million will be shipped before the end of 2006, and finally another 2 before March 31st.

We'll have more details shortly.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705838p1.html

The ps3's remote also has motion sensoring, so you can wave it around. But it's basically the dual shock 2 again.

I want a ps3, but that price and the games shown today didn't seem all that great. I'll stick with the 360 for a LONG while before I get a ps3.

The ps3's remote also has motion sensoring, so you can wave it around. But it's basically the dual shock 2 again.

I want a ps3, but that price and the games shown today didn't seem all that great. I'll stick with the 360 for a LONG while before I get a ps3.

The PS3 controller has a different kind of sensor than the Wiimote has. The PS3 controller is only a tilt sensor meaning that much like the demo, you could move the airplane up and down and side to side. The Wiimote (god I still hate that name :rolleyes: ) allows for full body functionality that is going to be good for such things as FPS and such.

If anybody is still confused about the difference, the article on IGN explains it a lot better: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html

I'll buy one.

*shrugs*

I spend about that much on Bengals tickets. Not a thing.

Me too.

I have had both PS2 and XBox for years.

While $599 is expensive, it is worthwhile.

Exactly.

I generally work part time and go to school. So, I'll just have to budget a little more. I don't know why everyone's all up in arms. It's not like it doesn't have the technology to make up for it. Besides, my favorite game series of PS3 exclusive (Metal Gear), so...

It makes sense anyways that the price was going to go way up with the all the stuff on it. Video games are more and more becoming just as legitimate of hardware as computers and televisions and they're still a third to half of the price of both of the high-end of those things.

The only thing that Sony may have on their side with the PS3 is that it is the cheapest Blu Ray player available when it is released. That might be the ONLY thing they have going for it however.

Well, besides the games and graphics and all that stuff, I guess. :plain

The one thing I have to give Sony credit for as well, is the PS3 is supposed to have a hell of a library coming out with the system. There's a couple of games I already want for it. While skimming the X-Box 360's, to this day, I was kind of disappointed. Make that really disappointed.

Hugg, Ramp, J, myself and Das may have won 360's in the MSN Q6 trivia challenge (we finished tied for 1st with four other teams, and there's only two prizes, so we have a 50/50 shot to get one), so I was doing a little homework so I knew what to ask for...

I think their library still kind of sucks for having been out for as long as it has. But, whatever to each his own.

For those interested these are supposed to be the launch titles for the system:

6Gun 2 - BattleBorne Entertainment

Avalon - Climax Studios

Dark Sector - Digital Extreme

The Darkness - Starbreeze Studios

Devil May Cry 4 - Capcom

EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 - EA Chicago

Eyedentify - TBA

Fifth Phantom Saga - Sonic Team

Final Fantasy PS3 - Square Enix

Formula One PS3 - SCE Studios Liverpool

The Getaway PS3 - SCE Studios Soho

Heavenly Sword - Ninja Theory

I-8 - Insomniac Games

Infraworld - Quantic Dream

Killing Day - TBA

Killzone PS3 - Guerilla Games

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Kojima Productions

Mobile Suit Gundam - TBA

MotorStorm - Evolution Studios

Ni-Oh - KOEI

Omikron 2 - Quantic Dream

Possession - Blitz Games

Project Delta - Playlogic International

ShadowClan - Tiger Hill Entertainment

Tekken PS3 - Namco

Vision GT - Polyphony Digital

Warhawk PS3 - Incognito Entertainment

Metal Gear Solid 4 *heart attack* IT'S ON! :notworthy

the blue ray is what is driving up the price. It is a twice as powerful system as the Xbox 360 is and like 5-10 times as power as the nintendo one.

I will purchase one and most likely preorder it as soon as I can to get it first in line :)

Where did you hear these power specs?

I'll buy one.

*shrugs*

I spend about that much on Bengals tickets. Not a thing.

Me too.

I have had both PS2 and XBox for years.

While $599 is expensive, it is worthwhile.

Exactly.

I generally work part time and go to school. So, I'll just have to budget a little more. I don't know why everyone's all up in arms. It's not like it doesn't have the technology to make up for it. Besides, my favorite game series of PS3 exclusive (Metal Gear), so...

It makes sense anyways that the price was going to go way up with the all the stuff on it. Video games are more and more becoming just as legitimate of hardware as computers and televisions and they're still a third to half of the price of both of the high-end of those things.

The only thing that Sony may have on their side with the PS3 is that it is the cheapest Blu Ray player available when it is released. That might be the ONLY thing they have going for it however.

Well, besides the games and graphics and all that stuff, I guess. :plain

The one thing I have to give Sony credit for as well, is the PS3 is supposed to have a hell of a library coming out with the system. There's a couple of games I already want for it. While skimming the X-Box 360's, to this day, I was kind of disappointed. Make that really disappointed.

Hugg, Ramp, J, myself and Das may have won 360's in the MSN Q6 trivia challenge (we finished tied for 1st with four other teams, and there's only two prizes, so we have a 50/50 shot to get one), so I was doing a little homework so I knew what to ask for...

I think their library still kind of sucks for having been out for as long as it has. But, whatever to each his own.

Well with the exception of a few games, its nothing we haven't already played on the Xbox or PS2. But as you said, to each his own.

the blue ray is what is driving up the price. It is a twice as powerful system as the Xbox 360 is and like 5-10 times as power as the nintendo one.

:rolleyes: Not really:

In response to what it's like to program and design The Darkness (FPS) for both Xbox 360 and PS3, Chronicles of Riddick developer had this to say: "The PS3 will have a content size [and] CPU advantage... The Xbox360 has a slight GPU advantage... I expect that it will be near impossible to tell Xbox360 and PS3 screenshots apart."

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/03/develope...-to-tell-apart/

:thumbup