Panthers to trade Luongo? GRRRRRRRRRRR

Fishfan79

Hopefully we just sign him long term and give him a no trade clause or whatever he wants. If not I am sure we will be getting good players in return.

The only reason he hasn't signed is that the Panthers are barred from giving him a no-trade clause until next year. And Keenan is not stupid. He is going to make sure whomever he gets is some good offensive talent and a goalie.

The Kings have made a real tempting offer for Luongo.

LOS ANGELES TIMES: Chris Foster reports a league source claims the Kings have made a pitch for Florida Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo. "The Kings are believed to be discussing a multi-player package, with forwards Alexander Frolov and Dustin Brown and goaltender Mathieu Garon among the names being discussed. Dean Lombardi, the Kings' general manager, declined to comment", reports Foster.

PALM BEACH POST: Brian Biggane also reports on the Kings offer, and suggests it appears the Panthers are making Luongo available after failing to reach an agreement on a new contract.

Spector's Note; Not a bad offer for Luongo if it's legit, although Garon did fade down the stretch last season, but Frolov and Brown hold plenty of promise and would be affordable pickups if Keenan were to seriously pursue a big ticket UFA blueliner.

C/O Spectorshockey.net

Although we get screwed in the goalie department in this deal because Garon got pulled a lot in the second half of the season last year, its a brilliant offer. Frolov is a goal scoring machine. Perfect fit for the Panther offense.

Don't tdeal him to the Rangers!!

If Luongo goes anywhere, he'll be going to Los Angeles or Columbus. Both teams are really in hot water in the goalie department. The Kings' Matheui Garon played decent in the beginning of the year but really had a melt down in the later parts of the year, often being pulled and replaced by LaBabera who didn't perform well at all in the few starts he got. The Kings also have great offensive power players such as Alexander Frolov and Pavol Demitra that could really help the Panthers' cause in the event of a trade with L.A.

Legace is being let go. Canucks because of the Keenan Players. Trust me, he is not going to Columbus or LA. LA may have an outside chance but they'd have to give up an arm and a leg for Luongo and thats something they cannot afford.

:mischief :whistle

The Kings have made a real tempting offer for Luongo.

LOS ANGELES TIMES: Chris Foster reports a league source claims the Kings have made a pitch for Florida Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo. "The Kings are believed to be discussing a multi-player package, with forwards Alexander Frolov and Dustin Brown and goaltender Mathieu Garon among the names being discussed. Dean Lombardi, the Kings' general manager, declined to comment", reports Foster.

PALM BEACH POST: Brian Biggane also reports on the Kings offer, and suggests it appears the Panthers are making Luongo available after failing to reach an agreement on a new contract.

Spector's Note; Not a bad offer for Luongo if it's legit, although Garon did fade down the stretch last season, but Frolov and Brown hold plenty of promise and would be affordable pickups if Keenan were to seriously pursue a big ticket UFA blueliner.

C/O Spectorshockey.net

Brilliant offer. Frolov is a goal scoring machine.

Don't tdeal him to the Rangers!!

If Luongo goes anywhere, he'll be going to Los Angeles or Columbus. Both teams are really in hot water in the goalie department. The Kings' Matheui Garon played decent in the beginning of the year but really had a melt down in the later parts of the year, often being pulled and replaced by LaBabera who didn't perform well at all in the few starts he got. The Kings also have great offensive power players such as Alexander Frolov and Pavol Demitra that could really help the Panthers' cause in the event of a trade with L.A.

Legace is being let go. Canucks because of the Keenan Players. Trust me, he is not going to Columbus or LA. LA may have an outside chance but they'd have to give up an arm and a leg for Luongo and thats something they cannot afford.

:mischief :whistle Frolov is an arm and Dustin Brown is a leg. :mischief

In all seriousness, I still don't think he will be going to the Kings. If it were Visnovsky, Frolov, and Garon for Luongo, then we'd have something. Dustin Brown has a lot of potential as he is a former first rounder who completed a successful first full season after a 30 game cup of coffee the season before.

Brown was decent last season. 14 goals and 14 assists with 28 points and 80 penalty minutes. He was, however a bit of a hot head on the ice. He gets into a lot of scraps.

I do agree that Ponikarovsky, Frolov and Garon would be a better deal but then the Kings would be giving up two arms, two legs and three brains.

Kings Renew Bid to Acquire Luongo

By Chris Foster, Times Staff Writer

June 21, 2006

The Kings are once again pursuing Florida Panthers goaltender Roberto Luongo, a league source said Tuesday.

The Kings are believed to be discussing a multi-player package, with forwards Alexander Frolov and Dustin Brown and goaltender Mathieu Garon among the names being discussed. Dean Lombardi, the Kings' general manager, declined to comment.

Luongo, considered one of the NHL's top goaltenders, is a restricted free agent, but the Panthers have been unable to reach a multi-year agreement with him. General Manager Mike Keenan said the team would explore all options, the Miami Herald reported Tuesday.

The Kings attempted to land the All-Star goaltender before the trading deadline last season, but the Panthers balked at all deals. Now they may be forced to make a deal since Luongo will be an unrestricted free agent after next season. The Panthers have received calls from a handful of teams and interest is expected to increase at the NHL draft in Vancouver this weekend.

That may lead to a bidding war, orchestrated by the high-profile Keenan.

Luongo, who made $3.2 million last season, is not looking to sign a long-term contract with the Panthers, the league source said. The 27-year-old goaltender has previously said that he would not agree to a multi-year contract unless considerable efforts were made to improve the Panthers.

"I just want to make sure we're a playoff team for many years to come," Luongo said when he turned down a five-year, $30-million deal in January. "I don't want to spend another five years here just watching the playoffs on television."

Luongo had a 2.97 goals-against average and .914 save percentage last season while seeing 2,488 shots, the most by an NHL goaltender. The Panthers finished 11th in the Eastern Conference and have not made the playoffs during Luongo's five seasons with the team.

Frolov and Brown, both first-round picks, were expected to be top players last season but struggled to be consistent. Garon's 31 victories last season tied him for third on the Kings' all-time single season list, but his effectiveness decreased the last two months of the season. He finished with a 3.22 goals-against average and .894 save percentage.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kings2...ack=1&cset=true

Sunrise -- Roberto Luongo said Wednesday he wants to keep playing for the Panthers, but is "upset, hurt and concerned" after General Manager Mike Keenan's recent disclosure that the team will explore trading the franchise goalie by this weekend's draft.

"Especially after I came out and said I'd like to stay here and I didn't want to go," Luongo said in a phone interview. "Now they're turning the tables on me. It's very upsetting."

LocalLinks

Trust -- not money -- remains the dividing issue in Luongo's unresolved contract situation. The Panthers reportedly have upped their offer from $6 million a season to $6.25 million. They can offer $8 million, Luongo said, and he still won't sign right now for four or five years because his greater concern isn't financial security.

Luongo doesn't feel assured that if he signs a long-term deal with the Panthers he won't be traded before the no-trade clause he has been promised can be inserted in July 2007 -- the earliest NHL rules allow because he's in his last year as a restricted free agent.

At the same time, the Panthers don't trust that if they give Luongo the one-year deal he desires -- the team has until Monday to make him a qualifying offer at least matching his $3.2 million salary of 2005-06 -- then he will in turn sign that long-term deal next July. He will be unrestricted then, meaning they'd risk losing him without compensation.

"Just because I want a one-year deal doesn't mean I want to leave and I want to explore my options next year," Luongo said. "It's just a way of protecting myself if anything was to ever happen."

Keenan declined comment on Luongo on Wednesday through a team spokesman.

Luongo said he doesn't know what will happen this weekend and that concerns him, but it doesn't change his stance.

"I'm going to stick to my guns on this one. I don't see what's wrong with [a one-year deal] given the fact that I've told them I want to stay here and I'm not looking to leave," said Luongo, who is married and recently built a house in Broward County.

The team's willingness to now publicly entertain trade offers hasn't made Luongo feel more comfortable about trusting them.

"Exactly. I don't understand that point of view," he said. "But they've got to do what they've got to do. If that's the way they feel about this whole situation I can't stop them and I'm not going to give in to them by threatening to trade me.

"That's going to be their decision. I've given them my word and promised them I would not leave them high and dry, as they're scared of me just walking out on them [in free agency]. I told them I would not do that and I'm a guy of my word. ... I don't know if [Keenan] thinks I'm lying or what ... I'm an honest guy and I've always been honest with them."

While he'd like the Panthers to trust him, Luongo isn't willing to believe that they wouldn't move him early in a four or five-year deal, potentially leaving him stuck with a poor franchise.

"I'm not going to get into the details of it, but something like that happened throughout the last year or so," Luongo said of a previous promise. "It didn't pan out verbally, so I really can't trust them like that because they've proven to me that it doesn't necessarily happen."

After what happened with contract talks last summer -- the Panthers made Luongo the first NHL player ever taken to arbitration -- and the way things are going this summer, "my feelings are really hurt."

The Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday that the Kings have offered goalie Mathieu Garon for Luongo as they did in March, along with wingers Alexander Frolov and Dustin Brown. The Red Wings, Senators, Maple Leafs, Canucks and Rangers also are believed to be pursuing Luongo with offers through Saturday night's draft in Vancouver. For Luongo's teammates, the next few days won't be easy.

"I always kind of banked they'd get [Luongo] signed and things would be worked out and everybody would be happy," said forward Chris Gratton, who signed a two-year, $3 million extension at the trade deadline, hours before captain Olli Jokinen re-signed for four years, $21 million. "As a player you hope there's a backup plan if plan A doesn't work out, but I really hope they're working on plan A, if you know what I mean. It's awfully hard to find a bonafide goaltender."

Steve Gorten can be reached at [email protected].

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-luo...la-sports-front

It really disgusts me the way they've screwed around with him for so long.

Last year was the Panthers fault. But this year is a load of bullcrap. Spector says it best:

Spector's Note: I'm not doubting that Luongo's a man of his word, but does anyone really believe Mike Keenan would re-sign his franchise player to a long-term deal and then trade him away within a year? Keenan made a balls-up of negotiations with Luongo last year and deserves the blame for that, and I can understand Luongo's desire to protect his interests, but not even I believe Keenan would be that spiteful to trade away his best player to one of the lesser NHL teams only a year after re-signing him to a long-term contract. If both sides genuinely want to get a deal done, they should sit down and reach some concurrence on doing so. I've been sympathetic to Luongo throughout most of this but in my humble opinion his so-called concern about being traded to an NHL bottom feeder sometime next season if he re-signed a long-term contract doesn't hold up.

And this as well:

It's believed Florida Panthers GM Mike Keenan isn't seriously listening to offers for goalie Roberto Luongo, or at least not yet, even though he's not happy with how negotiations have gone with the goalie.

Spector's Note: Luongo's statements today over his unhappiness and feeling of mistrust toward Panthers management probably won't help the situation, but as Garrioch points out, it's still possible Keenan and Luongo could agree on a one-year contract and then take their chances on negotiating a long-term contract next year.

nm then at least they are some youth that is solid.

But I still wouldnt trade luongo for anything. But, I really dont know enough of these guys to be fair I will admit

Frolov is the perfect winger to compliment Olli. He is a finisher. Dustin Brown is also a highly touted prospect and a Mike Keenan type player from what I understand. Garon had a good first season as a starting goalie.

But still, I don't want Luongo traded. Goaltending wins championships as we saw with Cam Ward.