Some nice Dap from ARod

A-Rod predicts success

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, a Miami native, thinks the Marlins' financial strategy is 'ideal' and will bring more titles.

BY KEVIN BAXTER

[email protected]

NEW YORK - The Marlins' decision to cut loose their high-paid veterans over the winter and rebuild with a team laden with rookies found an unexpected supporter in the New York Yankees clubhouse Saturday.

''In an ironic, crazy way, it is the ideal way financially to probably run an organization and to win a championship,'' said Alex Rodriguez, the American League MVP and baseball's best-paid player at $25 million a year. ``Because if you think about it, you sprint with veteran players, you win. You strip it. You bring all these young players [in], you run at it again, you win.

``These kids, in two years, three years, they're going to be right in the midst of winning again. Because you have so much young talent, which nobody has. It's kind of like we don't want it to be this way, but it's actually been an unbelievable recipe for winning or competing every three years. It's worked out great for them.''

The strategy already has brought them one world title and has them playing surprisingly well just a few months into their latest overhaul.

Marlins president David Samson, whose strategy has drawn criticism, was pleased to get Rodriguez's support.

''I appreciate that he thinks that,'' Samson said. ``Only time will tell if he, or we, are right.''

Rodriguez, who graduated from Miami's Westminster Christian High, turned pro the year the Marlins joined the major leagues. So he grew up watching baseball at the University of Miami.

''When I was a kid, it was all about the University of Miami,'' said Rodriguez, who added that his favorite big-league team growing up was the Mets. ``So, as a kid I didn't have that real connection with the Marlins just because they weren't around. I guess it's the story of every native Miamian.''

And in 12 big-league seasons, he still hasn't played a game in his hometown. In fact, because Rodriguez has spent his entire career in the American League, Friday's game was his fourth against the Marlins.

''It's nice to be playing against your home[town] team,'' he said. ``I love Miami. It's always going to be my home. At some point I'm probably going to be a season-ticket holder for the Marlins, if they're around.''

:thumbup

Nice article but I still dont want to see another fire sale again anytime in my lifetime

if the sales bring championships then its hard to argue with that strategy...that said, unless willis, cabs, han ram and so on completely fall apart...then yeah...id be ok with trading them...but thats only if they completely fall apart