Crowd problems in Dolphin Stadium questions

Hi, I'm not really sure if this is the appropriate forum for this thread so Admins feel free to move it to a more appropriate place. This thread doesn't pertain directly to the search for a new stadium, but I'm curious as to what the real problems are in playing in Dolphin Stadium for the fans. Despite a history of fire sales and bad baseball this team has still won two world series titles, and has been fairly consistent in competitiveness... especially in recent weeks. Yet even during the times where the Marlins enjoyed winning seasons the fans still have not been there. Why? I want to know from the horse's mouth. I've only been to a few games due to my location. It's right off the turnpike on 203rd street/University drive -- one of the biggest north south thruways in south florida The Tri-rail is right there.. and I-95 andI-75 are both less than a mile and a half away... the turnpike is literally right there. I understand its crappy baseball facility, but is that the true reason for lack of attendance?

I would say the #1 reason I didn't go more often when I lived in South Florida was the price of parking. Tickets only cost $8, but parking was $10. Sure $10 doesn't seem like a huge deal, especially if it's split a couple ways, but it really jacks up the price if you're alone, or if you're meeting up with someone. You add a couple $8 beers, a $4 bag of peanuts, and the fact I'd end up at Tootsies afterwards, and going to a baseball game becomes too expensive to do more than once a week.

I would say the #1 reason I didn't go more often when I lived in South Florida was the price of parking. Tickets only cost $8, but parking was $10. Sure $10 doesn't seem like a huge deal, especially if it's split a couple ways, but it really jacks up the price if you're alone, or if you're meeting up with someone. You add a couple $8 beers, a $4 bag of peanuts, and the fact I'd end up at Tootsies afterwards, and going to a baseball game becomes too expensive to do more than once a week.

Hmmmm.

Its not the constant threat of rain, the dismantling (not that Im against the dismantling this year), the crappy food choices, the annoying fans of the visiting team, the fact that its a football stadium, the sauna like tempatures.

Its the price of parking? :mischief2

I know that paying to park sucks but that is an interesting #1 reason not to go to the games.

Good Lord! I have only been an MB.com member since like June of 2005 and I'll bet I have seen this thread or something identical at least once a week since then. Who gives a sh*t? The fans just stink in South Florida. Quit making excuses for us. It has nothing to do with rain, heat, stadium location. I had season tickets in 2003 and 2004 and do you know that the night the Marlins clinched the wild card, there may have been 15,000 on hand to see it? It was raining, but they were trying to clinch a spot in the f***ing playoffs for the love of God! If people aren't going to show up for that, or any of the other games in the second half of '03 and all of '04, then all the excuses and reasons in the world add up to doo doo. The only solution is to build a domed stadium in everybodies backyard with free parking, concessions, leather seats, AC, complimentary hand-job, two-ply sh*t paper, and free krispey kreme donuts. Then you MIGHT be able to convince your neighbor to show up.

Good Lord! I have only been an MB.com member since like June of 2005 and I'll bet I have seen this thread or something identical at least once a week since then. Who gives a sh*t? The fans just stink in South Florida. Quit making excuses for us. It has nothing to do with rain, heat, stadium location. I had season tickets in 2003 and 2004 and do you know that the night the Marlins clinched the wild card, there may have been 15,000 on hand to see it? It was raining, but they were trying to clinch a spot in the f***ing playoffs for the love of God! If people aren't going to show up for that, or any of the other games in the second half of '03 and all of '04, then all the excuses and reasons in the world add up to doo doo. The only solution is to build a domed stadium in everybodies backyard with free parking, concessions, leather seats, AC, complimentary hand-job, two-ply sh*t paper, and free krispey kreme donuts. Then you MIGHT be able to convince your neighbor to show up.

Post of the year candidate?

Your post is very funny and I know where your coming from it terms of the apathy in SoFla but the rain and heat and sh*t food do play a major factor in attendance.

Fire sale

Weather- Heat/Rain

Threat of moving

The people should blame for attendance is childrens parents. Sounds weird but its true. Many kids love the Marlins. If you go to the game/watch them you will see tons and tons of kids holding signs, cheering etc:. If parents dont want to go to the games the children cant go. The children are the fans of the future.. Then they have more kids.. etc: etc:.

In 98' the Marlins had the fire sale and my dad didnt want tickets because we were going to be "bad". I really wanted to have season tickets but my dad didnt.

I think once this team starts winning/getting a stadium etc: the families will come back and we will build a fanbase. It takes time. If the FO keeps punching us in the face we are less likely to come back even if it is good for us.

To me stay home and watch the game Sunday afternoon on t.v > Go to the stadium and bake.

Your post is very funny and I know where your coming from it terms of the apathy in SoFla but the rain and heat and sh*t food do play a major factor in attendance.

Worst post of the year if anything. Where do you work 'holycrapilovethemarlins'? What time do you get out? The florida fans DONT stink, using factual evidence *gasp* look back and see that attendance had been increasing every year starting with 2003. It wasnt a major increase but it was an increase. And when a team has only 13 years of being around, it will take time to develop a consistent fan base. So first of all, lack of long term fan loyalty (the first generation of fans that have been around since the marlins conception are at oldest 13 right now), second the heat, the distance, the crappy facilities, the rain. Baseball can work in Florida b/c if this team hadnt done the fire sale this year, the attendance would have continued to rise.

Um, post of the year? More like why would you rip the fans and then say you were a season tix holder in 2003 and 2004. We are in 2006. Did you quit because after not getting in the playoffs in 2004 you then found that you meet all the criteria of the fans you are ripping. Your whole 2 years of being a season tix holder shows real commitment. Sorry, look in the mirror.

yea but what about when it rains or is hot or the parking doubles to 20$ and the food sucks when the dolphins play and oh yea they have sucked for the past few years....yet 70,000 show......

I think that it seems like more people go to Dolphins games because there's only 8 regular season home games vs. 81 home games for the Marlins. Plus, the Dolphins have been around for about 40 years. Attendance was growing, slowly but surely, for the Marlins but then the fire sale happened and attendance went to crap.... again.

yea but what about when it rains or is hot or the parking doubles to 20$ and the food sucks when the dolphins play and oh yea they have sucked for the past few years....yet 70,000 show......

Terrible comparison. Football is once a week, only 8 games a year, have been around for over 40 years, were the only game in town till the late 80s, and except for septmeber its in a cooler part of the year

Hmmmm.

Its not the constant threat of rain, the dismantling (not that Im against the dismantling this year), the crappy food choices, the annoying fans of the visiting team, the fact that its a football stadium, the sauna like tempatures.

I know that paying to park sucks but that is an interesting #1 reason not to go to the games.

I think the threat of rain is overrated as an excuse. It's rarely been a reason I haven't gone to a game, and if you've lived in South Florida for any amount of time you know how the rain works. The dismantlings aren't really a factor for me, and I'm enjoying this team 100Xs more than 2004, 2005. The visiting fans? Never even thought of them as a factor - if anything getting an attendance boost because of the opposing team is a draw for me. Crappy food choices? I've never really thought of DS's food as crappy. They have peanuts, pretzels, beer, cracker jacks...what else do you need? Plus their's a hotdog vendor behind home plate that has a much beter dog than you get at the consession stands. The fact it's a football stadium I don't really get as an excuse either - it's not as intimate as a baseball specific park but I've sat all over DS and there really aren't "bad" seats. Do people really think - "I'd go to a game but DS is just way too footbally?" I'm sure the weather is a big factor for a lot of people so I could almost understand that if it wasn't for the fact summers are miserable everywhere.

Really none of those excuses really have bothered me, or detered me from games. But what does bother me is the fact a ticket to the game is $8 but after parking, a couple drinks, and a snack I'm down $40. Or that even if I don't buy a thing after the ticket I more than double the cost of admission as soon as I pull into the gate. And if I bring a date I'm out $100+ before the seventh inning strech. As a recent grad I just can't afford all the added costs of going to more than maybe a game a week, and the biggest part of that is throwing an extra $10 spot in Wayne's pocket for what amounts to absoultely nothing. So yes, parking, or I guess less specifically "added expenses of attending a game" are the reason I didn't make more games when I was living down there.

Or stop at Subway or Quiznos. Make a steak sandwich at home. Wrap it up in foil and they let you take it in along with an unopened water bottle. Viola, now the high price of crappy food is no longer a problem. Oh, yea, hide a plastic bag in your pocket so you can put the food in the bag once you are in your seats. But, don't bring your own ice cream.

The problems are numerous.

-Bad location (it takes me 45 minutes at least to get out to the ballpark)

-Expensive parking

-No protection from the weather unless you sit in the Club Level (I don't feel like driving for close to an hour to a rained-out game)

-Unfriendly employees

-Seats have poor views unless you are closer to the plate

-Ticket prices haven't decreased, despite the $15 million payroll

-Food is extremely overpriced for what they are offering

-It's always way too hot in South Florida in the summer to begin with.

-Bad management of the team and the stadium

There is one very important thing that prevents me from going to most of the games: $10 parking. When I go to games, a ticket is $8/$10, but stupid parking prevents me from going unless other people want to go and share parking. Hence I have only been to 4 games this year.

With the Panthers last season, I always parked across the street at Sawgrass, so parking was free, and I went to just about every single game I could possibly go to. Also, DS is slightly further than BAC and the drive has more a-holes.

The other main reason is the heat. I hate South Florida in the summer. I've been to a few night games in the summer where it was so humid that it affected my breathing. There hasn't really been a problem with that this season luckily.

The problems are numerous.

-Bad location (it takes me 45 minutes at least to get out to the ballpark)

-Expensive parking

-No protection from the weather unless you sit in the Club Level (I don't feel like driving for close to an hour to a rained-out game)

-Unfriendly employees

-Seats have poor views unless you are closer to the plate

-Ticket prices haven't decreased, despite the $15 million payroll

-Food is extremely overpriced for what they are offering

-It's always way too hot in South Florida in the summer to begin with.

-Bad management of the team and the stadium

I do not agree with all of the above but I specifically want to disagree with the "unfriendly employees". Contrary to prior years, every game I have been to this year I have been greeted with "welcome to Dolphin stadium, hope you enjoy the game". When I leave everyone from the elevator operator to the escalator attendant says "thank you for coming, please come back". When compliments are in order they should be acknowledged.

Hmmmm.

I think the threat of rain is overrated as an excuse. It's rarely been a reason I haven't gone to a game, and if you've lived in South Florida for any amount of time you know how the rain works. The dismantlings aren't really a factor for me, and I'm enjoying this team 100Xs more than 2004, 2005. The visiting fans? Never even thought of them as a factor - if anything getting an attendance boost because of the opposing team is a draw for me. Crappy food choices? I've never really thought of DS's food as crappy. They have peanuts, pretzels, beer, cracker jacks...what else do you need? Plus their's a hotdog vendor behind home plate that has a much beter dog than you get at the consession stands. The fact it's a football stadium I don't really get as an excuse either - it's not as intimate as a baseball specific park but I've sat all over DS and there really aren't "bad" seats. Do people really think - "I'd go to a game but DS is just way too footbally?" I'm sure the weather is a big factor for a lot of people so I could almost understand that if it wasn't for the fact summers are miserable everywhere.

Really none of those excuses really have bothered me, or detered me from games. But what does bother me is the fact a ticket to the game is $8 but after parking, a couple drinks, and a snack I'm down $40. Or that even if I don't buy a thing after the ticket I more than double the cost of admission as soon as I pull into the gate. And if I bring a date I'm out $100+ before the seventh inning strech. As a recent grad I just can't afford all the added costs of going to more than maybe a game a week, and the biggest part of that is throwing an extra $10 spot in Wayne's pocket for what amounts to absoultely nothing. So yes, parking, or I guess less specifically "added expenses of attending a game" are the reason I didn't make more games when I was living down there.

There arent bad seats for baseball games at Dolphins Stadium?

Let me be the first to say

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol