Sign in to follow this  
TSwift25

What to do...

With the Sox coming to town this week and in desperate need of a number 5 starter maybe they can convince them that Moehler is worth a lot and ransom their franchise for him.

Do you know what I would love?

This....

I would love it if Moe said "You know Anibal, you pitched great against the Yanks. So, why dont you take my place in the rotation and I will go in the pen".

Never know. I want to see this kid develop.

Youg could argue that the performance of some of the kids makes it easier to stomach a potential trade of the pitcher who has the most value, Willis, even if it seems unlikely at this point.

Sanchez should go back down to the minors for now to get some work. If Moehler keeps pitching the way he has, you might be able to get a C level prospect for him at the deadline. It's not all that likely, but if he's pitching well there's no reason to pull him from the rotation at this point especially if we're trying to contend. I really like Sanchez as a prospect, but this was one start. Now if Moehler lays an egg in his next couple starts, I'd pull him.

Besides, I'm not sure Sanchez should get a shot in the rotation before Petit or Pinto anyway, as both have pitched very well at a hitter's park in AAA.

If you're looking to move some of the prospects to the bullpen, Jose Garcia was talked about as potentially projecting to be a back-end bullpen guy before the end of the year and at one point so was Anibal, though I'd rather see him get a rotation shot first.

With Petit's excellent control and high strikeout rates he might not make a bad choice for a future closer either even if he's more deceptive than overpowering.

I might suggest that if Johnson and Olsen continue to do well between now and the trading deadline their value, to certain teams with specific needs, might be higher than a pitcher who will be making $7 million next season.

I might suggest that if Johnson and Olsen continue to do well between now and the trading deadline their value, to certain teams with specific needs, might be higher than a pitcher who will be making $7 million next season.

Yea but then who will be in our rotation? We cant keep expecting that other guys are going to do the job.

With all due respect, and I realize you are just thinking outside the box, why on Earth would the Marlins think about moving them?

That's a decent point, even if I disagree.

At the deadline the teams most willing to overpay are (traditionally) those in contention and personally I believe that a contending team would see Willis as more of a sure thing down the stretch than two rookies both projected to throw career highs in innings and who could, by some, be expected to fade down the stretch. It's true that to lower revenue and/or non-contending teams looking for pitching help Johnson and Olsen could be attractive options, but unless the Marlins are dealing with a team that is selling off parts because they are out of contention (which I guess could be true if they approach the Devil Rays et al.) I don't see why they'd want Johnson or Olsen (or even Nolasco) over Willis, especially when they could wait until the offseason in the hopes the Marlins lower their asking price or more affordable pitchers become available in the trade market.

Now in the offseason when you are going to see non-contending and/or lower revenue teams (and essentially most major league teams) looking for affordable pitching help I think you could see Johnson and Olsen potentially have more value than Willis. Of course Willis would still have value to those teams that could afford his salary, but the big three's cost and prior production would make them valuable trade pieces if the Marlins decide to go that route.

To Holly and Ramp, yes I was just thinking outside the box, I'm not advocating trading anyone.

But at the same time, for 3/4 of the teams in the MLB, a winning 20-something pitcher who will be making $3-400,000 a year for the next three years is nirvana. It would be foolish, as we play GM not to at least articulate the possibility any number of contending teams would offer more in a trade for Johnson or Olsen than they would for Willis.

Having just read the post above, I would comment that Johnson threw over 150 innings last season and spent a good part of the early 2006 season in the pen, so there's little reason to think he can't throw 175-180 innings this year.

Olsen may be an another story.