Sign in to follow this  
tealmarlin

Children to be given electronic identity cards

Children to be given electronic identity cards
The Telegraph Group Limited

Brussels: Electronic identity cards for all children under 12 are to be introduced in Belgium. They will bear a code designed to allow parents of missing children to be traced instantly.

The announcement came as Belgian police continued to search for two young girls who vanished from the street outside a bar in the middle of the night a fortnight ago.

Though the ID cards would be useless in protecting children from an abductor or adult determined to do them harm, they are intended to offer a secure way of making sure a lost child can be reunited with family.

Belgians have been greatly sensitive to issues of missing children since the case a decade ago of Marc Dutroux, a paedophile rapist and killer who kidnapped six children, killing four of them, before being caught.

The new children's cards will carry a special code number and instructions on how to call a central missing child hotline

''Belgian police continued to search for two young girls who vanished from the street outside a bar in the middle of the night'' +And I bet they were up to no good, serves them right, WTF do you expect outside a pub at midnight+. :drunks

Guest Juanky
Hopefully finding lost kids is the only thing they'll use it for.

''Belgian police continued to search for two young girls who vanished from the street outside a bar in the middle of the night'' +And I bet they were up to no good, serves them right, WTF do you expect outside a pub at midnight+. :drunks

Gee, way to blame the victim(s). Obviously you've never been to Europe where pubs are more frequent in nice places (in fact, THEY'RE everywhere) and "outside a pub in the middle of the night" probably consitutes a stroll down the street at 10 pm.

Bet rape victims all "wanted it," too.

Countries like Germany should know better than let 16 year olds legally drink. Here, I don't have much faith that the people I know will use alcohol responsibly, and I'm going to be 21 soon.

Countries like Germany should know better than let 16 year olds legally drink. Here, I don't have much faith that the people I know will use alcohol responsibly, and I'm going to be 21 soon.

Does it say the kids were drinking? It clearly says "outside a bar." And it mentions nothing about them being drunk. Not sure that's relevant in this case.

And, just from talking to some foreign exchange students, it's not that big of a deal over there and not the problem you'd think it'd be. I'd be more worried about kids sneaking alchohol (which they do) and driving under the influence because they can't do it at their own house or around their parents.

I would like to see this happen in the USA with the caveat that the electronic chips are automatically removed on their ~14th birthday. Just chip them the second they come out of the womb and have it so they automatically deactivate themselves 14 years later or you go and get it removed.

Sure, the most logical solution to kids being victimized , raped, and killed by sex predators and sh*t is to go after the predators themselves, but when you have activist judges releasing child rapists with NO JAIL TIME and the fact that there are MILLIONS of sexual predators living in this country and other things of that sort, something drastic needs to be done to protect kids when the criminal justice system will not.

I can just imagine, all those kids who we hear about on an almost daily basis on the news who ended up being found dead face down in a ditch could have been saved very quickly. When you hear about a kid being kidnapped these days, you immediately KNOW that it's not going to have a happy ending.

Even if it's not required, at least give parents the option.

edit: okay, so I posted this before actually reading the body of the article and apparently the new system would be useless in tracking kids who were abducted, but either way what I said still should apply.

Guest Juanky
I would like to see this happen in the USA with the caveat that the electronic chips are automatically removed on their ~14th birthday. Just chip them the second they come out of the womb and have it so they automatically deactivate themselves 14 years later or you go and get it removed.
That would never, ever, ever happen in this country.

And thankfully so.

And thankfully so. I concur.

Implanting chips effectively lends to the government a way to spy on your activities. It should never, ever happen.

And thankfully so. I concur.

Implanting chips effectively lends to the government a way to spy on your activities. It should never, ever happen.

I'll definitely agree on this one. This all sounds like a bad futuristic movie