Update: Gammons returns on Wednesday

Mark

According to an ESPN executive who spoke with Peter Gammons' wife Gloria today, the ESPN baseball analyst continues to progress. There has been improvement “in both his motor skills and cognitive ability.� He even joked at one point, “I have to write.�

Gammons has been hospitalized since sustaining a brain aneurysm on June 27.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...as/extra_bases/

• 2 weeks later...

BOSTON ? (AP) ? Peter Gammons, an ESPN analyst and member of the writer's wing of the baseball Hall of Fame, was released Monday from a Boston hospital where he was being treated for a brain aneurysm.

The 61-year-old Gammons was moved to an undisclosed rehabilitation center, his wife, Gloria said in a statement. Gammons was stricken at his Cape Cod home June 27 and airlifted to Brigham and Women's Hospital, where he underwent surgery.

"Peter, his family and his doctors are very pleased with the progress that Peter has made following surgical repair of a brain aneurysm,'' she said in the statement released by the hospital. "We all want to thank you for the positive thoughts and good wishes that have been sent Peter's way. We also appreciate your understanding and respect for our privacy at this time.''

Gammons, a baseball analyst on ESPN, began his sports writing career at The Boston Globe in 1969. He covered the NHL, baseball and college basketball for Sports Illustrated from 1976-78 and 1986-90, working a second stint at the Globe in between. He joined ESPN full-time in 1990.

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN baseball analyst and longtime Globe baseball guru Peter Gammons continues to make considerable progress in his recovery from a brain aneurysm, said a friend of the family who had lunch with Gammons recently. Gammons is at his home on Cape Cod, continuing his rehab on an outpatient basis, but he's up and around, walking, talking, and getting stronger .

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...bye_yet/?page=2

• 1 month later...

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insid...3dstateChanged

The first clue that my cell towers were intact came right around the trading deadline, approximately a month after my aneurysm. By that time, I had been transferred from the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston to the Rehabilitation Hospital of the Cape and the Islands. I was perusing the morning box scores in the Cape Cod Times when I brusquely asked my nurse, "Linda, how did Austin Kearns get to the Nationals?"

:lol :notworthy