Any MSI Fans here?

Bradcore

That's not punk rock (add an non-obligatory: IMHO or IMO, your choice).

Somewhere, some-how Stiv Bators is turning over in his grave. Johnny Rotten just threw up. Glenn Danzig found himself unable to take his shirt off. Iggy Pop might have ODed. And Henry Rollins stopped being angry. ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Punk rock died some time in the early 80's when: Danzig left the Misfits, Black Flag became Rollins band and Ian MacKaye left Minor Threat. I should also note the movement officially died with Joey Ramone and you can't go back and anything calling itself punk is just a label at this point. Not to say that there aren't still some practitioners of the art form, Iggy Pop and Social Distortion are two fine examples, but to call any of the new stuff punk... It just ain't right.

One man's opinion. But, I also think it happens to be 100% true.

That's not punk rock (add an non-obligatory: IMHO or IMO, your choice).

Somewhere, some-how Stiv Bators is turning over in his grave. Johnny Rotten just threw up. Glenn Danzig found himself unable to take his shirt off. Iggy Pop might have ODed. And Henry Rollins stopped being angry. ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Punk rock died some time in the early 80's when: Danzig left the Misfits, Black Flag became Rollins band and Ian MacKaye left Minor Threat. I should also note the movement officially died with Joey Ramone and you can't go back and anything calling itself punk is just a label at this point. Not to say that there aren't still some practitioners of the art form, Iggy Pop and Social Distortion are two fine examples, but to call any of the new stuff punk... It just ain't right.

One man's opinion. But, I also think it happens to be 100% true.

i want to agree with this post... but i've thought about it many times before and i don't really see how the punk/hardcore scene (not talking about bands like the Casualties and Rancid and what have you) now is different than it was 20 years ago.

yeah, theres a bunch of people milking the sh*t out of punk fashion, but the actual scene... bands like Bones Brigade (RIP), Caustic Christ, and Paint it Black are doing what Minor Threat and Black Flag were doing 20 years ago.

but i reallydont think MSI is saying theyre a punk band... theyre a gimmick band, they know that, and they know that all these 13 year old girls love them and buy all their sh*t. nothing they ever do or say should be taken seriously.

Well, I just don't consider NOFX, Blink 182 and whatever cutesy current "punk group" to be on the level with Black Flag, the Misfits, or Iggy Pop in terms of the music or the content. They've taken what was once a successful counter-culture and turned it into something mainstream and marketable; I would say it's akin to taking Sin City and making it so it has a PG rating and it's new story is about a teenage girl falling in love.

Well, I just don't consider NOFX, Blink 182 and whatever cutesy current "punk group" to be on the level with Black Flag, the Misfits, or Iggy Pop in terms of the music or the content. They've taken what was once a successful counter-culture and turned it into something mainstream and marketable; I would say it's akin to taking Sin City and making it so it has a PG rating and it's new story is about a teenage girl falling in love.

yeah, they're not...

those bands do and probably always will exist now that punk fashion is rediculously big,

but there still are bands that live up to the level of Black Flag and whatever. seriously, check out the bands i mentioned.

well that wan't very good. Sounds like Limp Bizkit covering a bad punk song.

& I agree w/ poptart for the most part. Perhaps there won't be the kind of impact from today's punk-ish bands as from the great punks acts like Buckeye is alluding to, but you can still make the distinction between the ones who are really giving a sh*t or are just trying to be the next song featured on The O.C.