Rhinoplasty..

BIG Z

Hey,i was thinking about having Rhinoplasty done within the next year or so..has anyone here done it?or has anyone on here had a relative do it?i'd like to know more about it before i do it,help would be appreciated..well thanks ya'll..take care,bye :)

Guest Lissy

My aunt had a nose job and she says it's the best thing she's ever done. She looks a lot better now.

The procedure costs about $3,000, I've heard.

Have you found a doctor yet?

Guest marlins02

my aunt did that sh*t back in november... was in excruciating pain for days and her nose looks exactly the same, MAYBE a little different but thats what my mom keeps telling her. to me it looks the same. i wouldnt do it.

having seen your nose, i'd say it's a very smart idea.

you should talk to your doctor and ask him if he knows someone who's good. you don't want to hire just anybody off the street.

and about the "side effects"--as far as surgeries go, it's a minor one. if you really want to know more, read about it here.

you should talk to your doctor and ask him if he knows someone who's good. you don't want to hire just anybody off the street.

and about the "side effects"--as far as surgeries go, it's a minor one. if you really want to know more, read about it here.

God. Damn.

Are you getting this for cosmetic reasons or medical ones?

Leave your nose alone.

Beauty is only skin deep. Keep what God gave ya.

God. Damn.

My exact reaction.

Following Shaq-Man's response I have to see some pics of this thing.

Guest Lissy

If it will make you happy, go for it!

I've talked to some others who have had rhinoplasty and they tell me that they feel more confident now and have higher self esteem.

Unless your nose is really that bad, I wouldn't do it just for cosmetic reasons. But if you sit around thinking about your nose all day, then maybe it's worth it to you. I had one done because I basically couldn't breathe through my nose. My ENT told me I had one of the 5 worst deviated septums he'd ever seen. I probably broke my nose 3-4 times playing sports as a kid. He couldn't even get the scope down to visualize my nasal passages, even though he seemed to take it as a personal challenge to do so (which was not pleasant).

Anyway, there really is very little pain associated with the recovery. But they will stuff your nose full of packing, and it will be a very unpleasant feeling. You'll also be pretty drugged up for the first 3 days--I could barely stay awake long enough to watch a movie. Then they take out the packing, which is not fun, but afterwards, it feels great to be able to breathe for a few minutes. Unfortunately, that doesn't last very long...probably because blood flows into your nasal passages and clogs them up. Then, for the next couple months or so, you'll have to make a few trips to your doc, so he can suck all the crap out of your nose. It's not fun. It feels like someone is taking a needle and jamming it into your nose, but the pain doesn't last that long, so you deal with it. You'll probably also have to clean your nose out with this liquid junk--I forget what it's called. A couple times of day, maybe, you basically have to pour it down your nose, and it's kind of gross, but, once again, you deal.

I was able to leave the house and go to the movies about 4-5 days after the surgery--you'll still look like a freak at that point, but whatever. And I felt completely normal probably about 6 months afterwards.

So, that's what you're dealing with. It was worth it to me because I can now breathe through my nose, but I'm not sure it would've been worth going through all that for purely cosmetic reasons. Your case may be different.

Unless your nose is really that bad, I wouldn't do it just for cosmetic reasons. But if you sit around thinking about your nose all day, then maybe it's worth it to you. I had one done because I basically couldn't breathe through my nose. My ENT told me I had one of the 5 worst deviated septums he'd ever seen. I probably broke my nose 3-4 times playing sports as a kid. He couldn't even get the scope down to visualize my nasal passages, even though he seemed to take it as a personal challenge to do so (which was not pleasant).

Anyway, there really is very little pain associated with the recovery. But they will stuff your nose full of packing, and it will be a very unpleasant feeling. You'll also be pretty drugged up for the first 3 days--I could barely stay awake long enough to watch a movie. Then they take out the packing, which is not fun, but afterwards, it feels great to be able to breathe for a few minutes. Unfortunately, that doesn't last very long...probably because blood flows into your nasal passages and clogs them up. Then, for the next couple months or so, you'll have to make a few trips to your doc, so he can suck all the crap out of your nose. It's not fun. It feels like someone is taking a needle and jamming it into your nose, but the pain doesn't last that long, so you deal with it. You'll probably also have to clean your nose out with this liquid junk--I forget what it's called. A couple times of day, maybe, you basically have to pour it down your nose, and it's kind of gross, but, once again, you deal.

I was able to leave the house and go to the movies about 4-5 days after the surgery--you'll still look like a freak at that point, but whatever. And I felt completely normal probably about 6 months afterwards.

So, that's what you're dealing with. It was worth it to me because I can now breathe through my nose, but I'm not sure it would've been worth going through all that for purely cosmetic reasons. Your case may be different.

hmm,nice to know you're doing good and that everything went well..so why exactly does it hurt when they take out the stuffing?and where do they give ya the anestisia shot?also did you feel anything during the surgery?

i want to have the surgery done just because i always love to be at my best..and well my nose it's not something that stops me,but i'd be happier if i were to make it smaller..i have everything i want in my body..i'm tall,skinny,brown eyes,dark hair and well i like everything,but you know i think i'd have alot more confidence if i trim down the nose,it'll make me better looking,which is what i want..i think after that i won't need anything else..because i've been told by X amount of chicks that i don't need nose surgery that i look cute how i am now,and that it matches with me..but still i don't listen to anyone i do my own things,i don't let people guide me through life(well only my parents and god..but not friends)..and well i think i'm doing pretty good with the girls i mean this year alone,which was my senior year in highschool,i had 5 girlfriend's..which were all very good looking,except one of them..which was just alright,not the cutest thing in the world..but yup..the cost of this surgery runs up to around 3,500 right?

Anesthesia shot? I don't know if mine was different because it was more than cosmetic, but there wasn't any shot in my case. I was given general anesthesia--you know, via IV--and I think the procedure was a few hours. Once again, I don't know if this is normal, but for me they made an incision around me upper gums, went in that way, bashed the crap out of my nose, put everything back in place, and then stitched me up. I sure wouldn't want to have to go through all of that with local anesthesia.

As for the packing, it's not really a feeling I can explain. It only takes about 5 minutes to remove, though.

Not sure what it costs. Mine was covered by our insurance.

Anesthesia shot? I don't know if mine was different because it was more than cosmetic, but there wasn't any shot in my case. I was given general anesthesia--you know, via IV--and I think the procedure was a few hours. Once again, I don't know if this is normal, but for me they made an incision around me upper gums, went in that way, bashed the crap out of my nose, put everything back in place, and then stitched me up. I sure wouldn't want to have to go through all of that with local anesthesia.

As for the packing, it's not really a feeling I can explain. It only takes about 5 minutes to remove, though.

Wow. You must have had a really messed up nose.

They fixed my deviated septum by making a small break and then realigning it correctly. They didn't have to make an incision.

Christ.

ooh i see,dang you must've gone thru some pain..geez..i've had surgery before on my foot and i remember getting one or two anesthesia shots on my foot and they also put laughing gas on me,and i could actually feel the surgeon cutting through the skin on my foot,and the sound of those sciccors were scaring me i could hear the sciccors clacking as it ripped through the skin..lol..but there was no pain at all..i also felt the pressure when the doctor was stitching up the foot later on,it didn't hurt,but i felt my skin being pulled together..lol.and then everything cured the doc did an excellent job,and then he took off my stitches about 4 or 6 weeks later..lol..and the same day he took em off,i started running again,and while i was running i kinda busted the cut and started bleeding,but it all cured up,i ran again the next day and played sports..and afterwards i'll just put on hydrogen peroxideor w.e and clean it up.. :)