Greg Cote of the Miami Herald has got to GO

skyjim

Did anyone read Greg (Boston Fan ) Cote's article on Sat.?

This guy is a big Boston Fan who writes for the Miami Herald.

What a loser.

Please read his article and send him a nasty email

He basically call all South Floridians Morons!!!

Fans, enjoy it while you canBy Greg Cote

gcote@MiamiHerald.com

We'll take the electricity, even if the buzz is borrowed. We'll take the too-rare look and sound and feel of abundant passion in this place -- even though we know the carnival will leave when the Red Sox do.

Yeah, there was a party in the mausoleum Friday night, and it was a spectacle, and a joy.

At Dolphin Stadium, where baseball crowds tend to be depressing even when the team is impressing, an actual major-league attendance of 32,194 happened, with many more than the usual 8,000 or so Marlins diehards drawn by Boston's glamour and might, and augmented by massive infantry battalions from Red Sox Nation.

What a night to be a baseball fan! It was almost as if leftover magic dust from the Heat's championship run somehow transferred itself by osmosis from the arena to the diamond up north.

The Marlins' 5-2 victory halted Boston's run at 12 straight games, denying the Sox from matching their longest win streak since 1948, even on a night when the AL powerhouse set an all-time record with an 17th straight errorless game.

And the home triumph kept the long surge going for a young Florida squad whose play over the past five weeks has entered into local debate the once-insane thought of wild-card playoff contention.

Energy zapped back and forth among fans as the season's largest crowd competed as much as the teams. The frequently heard ''Let's go Red Sox!'' chant first bloomed, even as Dontrelle Willis uncoiled his elbows-and-knees wind-up and delivered the first pitch. Then Marlins fans, rising to the challenge, staked their claim, roaring as Florida boomed to a 3-0 early lead.

The kinetic evening ended with Red Sox fans standing to cheer pinch-hitter David Ortiz (''Papi!'') with two out in the ninth inning -- then Marlins fans overriding with a final, swooning ovation as the slugger's deep shot to right died in Jeremy Hermida's mitt on the warning track.

``This is how it can be here.''

That's what you kept thinking.

For now, we know this weekend party enjoys temporary ambience largely courtesy Red Sox loyalists -- these three games will draw around 110,000 -- and it helps you understand why returning ex-Marlins Mike Lowell, Josh Beckett and Alex Gonzalez couldn't help but thank their luck to end up in Boston, where this kind of nightly passion is de rigeur.

Lowell was asked before the game if he ''missed this place'' and, to his great credit and restraint, he gave the query his best effort at a serious mulling, even though it probably deserved a burst of braying laughter.

Lowell is Miami-raised and got to experience playing for his hometown team seven years, so he misses that, of course. What he does not miss is the nightly challenge of performing in front of 40,000 empty orange seats in a football stadium the team can't leave soon enough, instead of delighting to see every inch of Fenway Park rapturously filled with some of the greatest, most loyal fans on Earth.

''For me, it was a good thing,'' Lowell understated, of being packaged with Beckett as part of Florida's latest roster fire sale. ``Sometimes a change of scenery is good.''

No offense, So-Fla, but in baseball we have not earned the right to be missed by those who leave us, especially when the destination is Nirvana.

Lowell was back for the first time since his seasonlong slump of 2005 and saying before the game, ''I hope I get a good response. I'd feel great and flattered.'' He needn't have worried.

Lowell walked to the batter's box in the top of the second inning and applause grew and grew, until it was an extended standing ovation washing over him, delaying the game briefly. At last the player doffed his batting helmet, and the appreciation only swelled.

He had to blink hard and take a deep breath.

''Nicest ovation I've ever gotten,'' he said afterward. ``I'm humbled and appreciative. I was overwhelmed.''

Fans did themselves proud honoring Lowell like that, and it underlined what has seemed true for a while and seems even truer in his absence:

No player in Florida's 14-year franchise history has done more as a Marlin or meant more to South Florida, the combination that caused Friday's love fest.

Jeff Conine might have the ''Mr. Marlin'' title. But no player more than Lowell is more embedded in fans' hearts, as a local kid who made it with his hometown team, a guy who battled through testicular cancer, a solid run producer and great third baseman, and a good guy above it all, all about class, not flash. Lowell is South Florida.

He is thrilled to be feeding now off the energy of Fenway, and enjoying a huge comeback season, but he hasn't forgotten where home is. He views the Marlins' future -- the struggle to get a new stadium, the sad attendance most nights -- like many of us do. Not so much optimistically as hopefully.

Like, somehow, it will all work out.

''I know I'm going to live here when I'm done playing, and I want to be able to take my kid to Marlins games,'' Lowell said. ``I want to be able to share that with my kids.''

Inexplicably, the team has averaged slightly fewer fans during its surge than it did when its record stood at an abysmal 11-31.

That's why Friday night felt so fine.

Welcome to a weekend of great baseball and great crowds. It's something you could almost get used to, if you weren't careful.

he is 100 percent absolutly right and everything he said is true. i was there yesterday and even on tv according to my friend and i yelled so loud i thought i was bleeding!!!! it was great to see crowds like that and i just hope and pray that it sends a signal for more fans to come out to games :confused

i was telling all of the red sox fans to "kiss my asss" and the "Red Sox suck" and i had a guy telling me that i had "balls of brass" cause some sox fans wanted to shoot me. but u know what it felt great and it got a lot of marlins fans around me excited about our team and i hope that they see the light

This was, I thought, the definitive part of Cote's column this morning (which I quoted in another thread):

"...Energy zapped back and forth among fans as the season's largest crowd competed as much as the teams. The frequently heard ''Let's go Red Sox!'' chant first bloomed, even as Dontrelle Willis uncoiled his elbows-and-knees wind-up and delivered the first pitch. Then Marlins fans, rising to the challenge, staked their claim, roaring as Florida boomed to a 3-0 early lead.

The kinetic evening ended with Red Sox fans standing to cheer pinch-hitter David Ortiz (''Papi!'') with two out in the ninth inning -- then Marlins fans overriding with a final, swooning ovation as the slugger's deep shot to right died in Jeremy Hermida's mitt on the warning track."

For Cote to make such an admission speaks volumes about Marlins fans last night, especially after how he and the rest of the south florida media played to Red Sox fans all week, sitting comfortably in their air-conditioned press box, munching on free food, penning their next diatribe against us.

Great article. What's your problem, Skyjim?

The vast majority of South Floridians don't deserve the Marlins (present company excepted of course). If they'd supported the team just one iota in 04 and 05 maybe Lowell (and Beckett and Delgado) would still be here.

The vast majority of South Floridians don't deserve the Marlins (present company excepted of course). If they'd supported the team just one iota in 04 and 05 maybe Lowell (and Beckett and Delgado) would still be here.

yawn

The problem in S. Fl is the media is NOT from S. Fl.

You would never have an article like this in Boston, they would stone the sports writer!!!

The difference between the media up north and down here is the're also fans, where as our writer/broadcasters down here are also fans just not of our teams. They are stuck here having to write articles ( even sometimes nice ones ) about a team they are not fans of and you can feel the difficultly in writing nice words.

Also where is our media's support of a new stadium. No where they just use the stadium to blast the owner and team.

Please find some writers/broadcasters who are Floridians!!!!

I have no problem with the article. It's all true. I don't read the guy's column except when it's posted here, but nothing in this column points him out as anti-Marlin or as a Sox fan. Is there something he's written in the past that makes some of you seem to be filled with venom towards the guy...towards the whole media for that matter.

The problem in S. Fl is the media is NOT from S. Fl.

You would never have an article like this in Boston, they would stone the sports writer!!!

The difference between the media up north and down here is the're also fans, where as our writer/broadcasters down here are also fans just not of our teams. They are stuck here having to write articles ( even sometimes nice ones ) about a team they are not fans of and you can feel the difficultly in writing nice words.

Also where is our media's support of a new stadium. No where they just use the stadium to blast the owner and team.

Please find some writers/broadcasters who are Floridians!!!!

Because it would not be true in Boston!

Everything Cote said (though it may hurt to be called out) is true

Besides, there are absolutely no nice words that can be said about our fan base

Guest Lissy

Really? How about those of us who have been there through 2 firesales and the threat of moving? But you are right, we are terrible fans! We don't deserve this team. :rolleyes:

I love how you out of state fans blame everything on our attendance. :thumbup

You are on a roll today Rachel, i dont understand why they complain when they dont even go to the games.

Really? How about those of us who have been there through 2 firesales and the threat of moving? But you are right, we are terrible fans! We don't deserve this team. :rolleyes:

I agree! I go to every single game and happen to think that those of us who are REAL fans and attend as much as we can (considering location) or at least support as much as we can when attending is not possible are among the best baseball fans in the country...considering what we have put up with in the form of "firesales" in the past and change of ownership and all those "other" things that those people who come to games (not real fans) only when the team is winning or in the playoffs (ie "too much rain", "too hot", "it's a football stadium", blah Blah, BLAH!) the fact that we have fans that are so dedicated is amazing! When people say we have such bad fans, and thats the reason we lose,yada yada, yada, I take extreme offense to that! That article was exactly right, but don't blame it on the "FANS"...it's those band-wagon jumpers who will claim to be fans in October when it counts that can be belittled...not the fans! Sorry...this stuff just gets me irate! It's bad enough to hear it on local sports radio but here too! Come on!

I agree! I go to every single game and happen to think that those of us who are REAL fans and attend as much as we can (considering location) or at least support as much as we can when attending is not possible are among the best baseball fans in the country...considering what we have put up with in the form of "firesales" in the past and change of ownership and all those "other" things that those people who come to games (not real fans) only when the team is winning or in the playoffs (ie "too much rain", "too hot", "it's a football stadium", blah Blah, BLAH!) the fact that we have fans that are so dedicated is amazing! When people say we have such bad fans, and thats the reason we lose,yada yada, yada, I take extreme offense to that! That article was exactly right, but don't blame it on the "FANS"...it's those band-wagon jumpers who will claim to be fans in October when it counts that can be belittled...not the fans! Sorry...this stuff just gets me irate! It's bad enough to hear it on local sports radio but here too! Come on!

You shouldn't be mad or irate. Nobody has ever had a problem with how dedicated, great, wonderful, etc. the REAL fans are. Nobody is saying that the "REAL" fans are bad fans. The author and others have consistently pointed out that there just aren't enough of these REAL fans. And they're right.

I said it more serious than joking last year that Miami doesn't deserve the Marlins, they deserve the Rockies or the Royals.

And, while it's more or less come true (again), I feel more resigned to say that the Marlins and their fans (fickle, die-hard or somewhere in between) deserve better than Jeffrey Loria.

I'm not going to stand on my soap-box and rant, or go into the same diatribe since most know the basic concept of the argument, but the jabs at the fans need to stop. Try hitting your dog; guarantee the first time it'll be reluctant to come back, but it'll come back. After each successive one, though, it's closer to just saying screw it altogether and leaving. That's the gist of it, you can't fault people for doing something that's only natural. Anyone who said "we deserve this, good" this offseason is either demented or a masochist, and I can't fault anyone for not wanting to show up in the dog days of summer and validate the whole offseason, winning or not.

I'm there, I have season tickets, but I don't fault one single person for not wanting to go.

Nobody did anything to me really, I'm just sick of the general South Florida fans and the blind hatred towards the fans.

Pathetic? Yes

Passionate? No

But that still doesn't change the fact that Miami will show up in select circumstances, none of which have been effectively executed by the Marlins in close to a decade.

You can't sell a product that is berated even by high-ranking people in the organization. You can't count on consumers when your own president demeans them and you can't expect any loyalty when your own organization refuses to show it.

Calm down Swifty. If the team stays in South Florida the fan base will grow greatly. It's just something that takes time. At least 1 generation, and here in South Florida due to the more than average population moving in and out maybe 2 generations. They'll show up....no matter where the stadium is. No matter how the FO shoots itself in the foot with bad marketing. Dare I say it, they'll show up even if the team isn't a champion. It's just going to take time. By the time this happens I'll probably be watching from above, or looking up.

Guest Lissy

The only thing that bothers me about the article is that others have written about the exact same thing numerous times.

Hey, our attendance isn't good. We know. Do we really need another article telling us this? Not really.

The writer should focus more on how we ended a Red Sox winning streak than how many people showed up to the game.

Just my opinion.