Dodge's Trip to RFK

Today I made the drive up to Washington, DC for the Marlins-Nationals game. I have pictures and maybe one day if I can figure out how to get them on the computer, you'll see them. I left Williamsburg at about 9:00 AM and picked up my buddy who lives near Washington on the way. We got there at about 12:15PM and started tailgating. Unfortunately we didn't have time to slug down too many beers but we got to grill some hot dogs.

Anyway, these two guys saw us standing in line at the ticket booth and told us they had extra tickets that we could have for free. That was awesome! We ended up moving down into the 400s section, on the third base line. I tell you what, there's not a bad seat in the house at RFK. We had a great view of all the action.

It seemed to me that what lost us this game is Girardi's bullpen decisions (mainly leaving relievers IN too long!) seeing how Tankersley loaded up the bases (I believe it was with zero outs, maybe one) and the Nationals scored two runs in that inning.

Some notes from the experience:

• This was Dodge's first trip to see the Marlins this year. He goes 0-1 after today on the season, and 0-3 all time at Marlins games.
  • When Dodge goes to a game at RFK, the Marlins are 0-2, both losses were extra inning and by one run.
  • Dodge fell hard in love with the ball girl. But he wasn't wearing his glasses and couldn't tell if she was underage. He didn't care anyway.
  • The Nationals fans vary tremendously. Some of them are extremely harsh to visiting fans and are rude to you during the game. And then there are some that tell you to have a safe trip home and extend sympathy to you for your loss. I stood and applauded the Nationals when they won today's game, and I didn't say anything to the people who shouted at me or the Marlins players, with one exception. One guy screamed "Uggla, you suck!" and I really couldn't resist so I turned around and said "Hey dude, he's actually an all-star."
  • RFK is extremely accessible - it is literally right off of I-395 - and a great place to see a ballgame.

I had a great time! It's always a long day driving up to RFK and back the same day but I really don't get a chance to see my Fish play very much and I'm just glad I could. Hopefully, one day, they will win a game for me when I am in attendance. :thumbup

If you have a ballpark fetish you'll hate RFK. I love nice ballparks but I love baseball, too - which is what I went to see.

After attending several hundred games at PPS, any stadium is better than this one.

Another note:

Alfonso Soriano is freakin' electric. You have got to see this guy play. Just watching him taking swings on deck made me nervous.

Sounds like Bobby Bo, he makes me nervous when he's on deck taking swings too, many moons ago he was warming up on deck and his bat flew into the stands and hit this lady in the head. I always flinched after that.

Good write up Dodge. Fun stuff. If you ever make it down to Joe Robbie Stadium we'll have to take you out for a drink or two with some of the the Mermaids.

If I ever do everyone hear will know about it, trust me. I can't wait to get down to South Florida one day.

Good write up Dodge. Fun stuff. If you ever make it down to Joe Robbie Stadium we'll have to take you out for a drink or two with some of the the Mermaids.

If I ever do everyone hear will know about it, trust me. I can't wait to get down to South Florida one day.

Make sure to let us know. Maybe we'll kidnap you and take you out for a beer or two. Then, we can go shopping!! :D

Make sure to let us know. Maybe we'll kidnap you and take you out for a beer or two. Then, we can go shopping!! :D

Hell yeah!

Guest FishFanInPA

RFK is alright.....kinda reminds me of the Vet in that they were both giant cookie cutter stadiums.....

It's harder to see the connection without the Astro Turf.

Both are giant circles with no real personality....

Went to a game at RFK a few weeks ago. I like it a lot. You actually get a pretty solid view of the action. Yeah its pretty cramped and they only have like 2 atms in the entire building, but its still fun.

The only other thing is if you are in the outfield seats, you cant see if a ball went out of the park or not if it comes in your direction. The outfielder just disappears.

RFK is alright.....kinda reminds me of the Vet in that they were both giant cookie cutter stadiums.....

It's harder to see the connection without the Astro Turf.

Wow I never thought about the similarities until now but I definitley see it. They have a very similiar feel inside in the concourses and all of the decks, adn the big empty upper decks in the outfields. They both are complete dumps that although I've only been to one game in each of these stadiums I always think of them as nasty places.

Pro Player is a lousy place to watch a baseball game but at least it's comfortable and mostly clean. RFK and the Vet were both really crappy and crowded in.