Notes: Uggla soaked it all in as All-Star

Accord

MIAMI -- Hanging out with the rest of the All-Stars certainly didn't make Dan Uggla feel starstruck.

What Uggla took out of his All-Star experience are a lifetime of memories. He used a video camera to capture some of the festivities, like part of the Home Run Derby. And he got some autographed jerseys and bats.

Despite not playing, Uggla was proud to just be part of the pageantry.

"Seeing those guys, and hanging out with them definitely makes you feel like you belong at this level," Uggla said. "I was like, 'This was awesome.' After I was there, I felt like I belonged. They all told me I deserved being there and that I had a great first half. They all told me, 'congratulations.' After they did that, I was thinking, 'This is cool. They respected me and wanted me here.'"

A couple of players Uggla became close with were Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca, a former Marlin, and Braves catcher Brian McCann.

The advice Marlins manager Joe Girardi gave to Uggla before he headed to Pittsburgh was "soak it all in."

"I love to see our players succeed," Girardi said. "I love to see hard work pay off. I think the greatest reward for hard work, in this game, is winning the World Series, being recognized as an All-Star, and then individual accomplishments.

"I think Danny probably never took his eyes off certain players, and watched how they go about their business. It's a great reward."

While Uggla was making his All-Star debut, his teammate, Miguel Cabrera, was making his third straight trip to the Midsummer Classic.

Cabrera played third base in the game, and he finished third in the Home Run Derby.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...sp&c_id=fla

lol, Uggla sounds like he was any of us if we got to the go to the allstar game like that.

"Hi, Mr. Ortiz your my favorite player would you mind signing this ball!?!?!??!!?"

:D

yeah i was thinking of that when i read 'got some signed jerseys...".. he gets to do more than meet em.. he gets to throw em out..

lol, Uggla sounds like he was any of us if we got to the go to the allstar game like that.

"Hi, Mr. Ortiz your my favorite player would you mind signing this ball!?!?!??!!?"

:D

yeah i was thinking of that when i read 'got some signed jerseys...".. he gets to do more than meet em.. he gets to throw em out.. Go Uggs!

It seems as the days since the ASG pass, Uggla is already coming to resent being forced to ride the bench. I don't blame him.

Houston's Garner apologizes to Uggla

By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, July 14, 2006

MIAMI GARDENS - Houston manager Phil Garner said he apologized in Pittsburgh to Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla for not getting the rookie into Tuesday's All-Star Game.

Third baseman Miguel Cabrera entered as a defensive replacement in the eighth and was on deck when the game ended.

Garner said he purposely held Uggla out of the game in case it went into extra innings.

"I talked to him, but I couldn't find him after BP to tell him I was going to use him as a late-inning guy,'' he said. "Unfortunately, Cabrera didn't get a chance to hit either, and I hoped he would. That's unfortunate.''

Besides Uggla, Nomar Garciaparra, Andruw Jones and Scott Rolen were the other NL position players who didn't play.

"That's a call I made,'' Garner said. "They are all All-Stars and they deserve to play, but you just can't. You have to hold somebody back. It's the nature of the beast now.''

Uggla said he would have preferred to have played but he also understood Garner's strategy.

"The only thing I did up there was just mingle with the players,'' he said. "I was more or less a spectator or a fan.''

Will Sanchez adjust? Manager Joe Girardi said he is "real curious" to see whether rookie right-hander Anibal Sanchez tonight can continue making adjustments against big-league hitters.

After allowing seven runs in 4r innings against Boston, Sanchez gave up four runs in five innings against Washington in his last start.

"We talked about getting the ball down for him. The important thing is locating down and away,'' Girardi said. "So much pitching comes down to being able to locate your fastball and get in good counts. We'll find out (tonight).''

Umpire leaves game: Home-plate umpire Rick Reed left Thursday's game during the bottom of the second inning because of a broken blood vessel in his nose.

First-base umpire Tim Tschida moved behind the plate and the game was delayed for 14 minutes

Longer break? Girardi supports the idea of extending the All-Star break from three days to a week.

"I would love to have a little bit more of a break. When you play so many games, I think three days is pretty short,'' he said.

Joe Capozzi, Palm Beach Post, 7/14/06