Nationals sign OF Matos, designate OF Byrd for assignment

MrAndMrsFish

WASHINGTON ? (AP) ? The Washington Nationals signed free-agent outfielder Luis Matos on Friday and designated outfielder Marlon Byrd for assignment.

Matos hit .207 in 55 games for the Baltimore Orioles this season before they designated him for assignment on July 6.

His career average is .256 with 30 homers, 140 RBIs and 72 steals in 494 major league games spread over seven seasons with the Orioles. Matos was a part-time starter last season, hitting .280 and finishing second on Baltimore with 17 steals.

He has made 373 big league starts in center field, a position that's been a revolving door all season for the

Nationals.

Byrd was batting .223 this season, with five homers, 18 RBIs and 47 strikeouts in 197 at-bats; he had two hits in his last 20 at-bats. He was acquired from Philadelphia in 2005 in a trade that sent outfielder Endy Chavez to the Phillies.

Washington has been searching for an everyday center fielder throughout this season, with Brandon Watson, Byrd and Ryan seeing time there.

The moves come a day after the Nationals made an eight-player trade with the Cincinnati Reds. The key players Washington got were outfielder Austin Kearns and shortstop Felipe Lopez, while Cincinnati received relievers Gary Majewski and Bill Bray, shortstop Royce Clayton and infielder Brendan Harris.

i know maybe its a bit of a stretch and im sick of dealing with the muts...but what does everyone think about maybe getting endy chavez...i mean he has played pretty well for the muts and doesnt make a whole lot of money...plus i bet he could be had for herges and low level prospect

Endy has been a huge lift for the Mets this year, they have no reason to move him

i know maybe its a bit of a stretch and im sick of dealing with the muts...but what does everyone think about maybe getting endy chavez...i mean he has played pretty well for the muts and doesnt make a whole lot of money...plus i bet he could be had for herges and low level prospect

Endy has been a huge lift for the Mets this year, they have no reason to move him

but endy isnt vital to their playoff push...and if they could get another reliever or spot starter, you dont think they would move him?

but endy isnt vital to their playoff push...and if they could get another reliever or spot starter, you dont think they would move him?

Not as long as Floyd and Nady are in the same outfield, neither is exactly superbly healthy this season, and I don't think Minaya wants to count on Milledge this year.