U.N. Security Council Unanimously Adopts North Korea Resolution

CapeFish

of corse its not worthless. It just isnt effective on a nation that is so locked up, the rest of the world has major influencial elsewhere.

The UN does a great thing just by existing, with all of the countires in the world meeting, agreeing, debating, they stay in touch, and major powers are uh more peaceful, and able tor espolve conflict with the help of the rest of the world. This way the wosld stays usited, and is unlikely to devide up as they did in past world wars.

edit: BUSH SAID THE UN WAS WORTHLESS!?

of corse its not worthless. It just isnt effective on a nation that is so locked up, the rest of the world has major influencial elsewhere.

The UN does a great thing just by existing, with all of the countires in the world meeting, agreeing, debating, they stay in touch, and major powers are uh more peaceful, and able tor espolve conflict with the help of the rest of the world. This way the wosld stays usited, and is unlikely to devide up as they did in past world wars.

edit: BUSH SAID THE UN WAS WORTHLESS!?

Good point. It is better for countries to deal with each as opposed to being isolationists. The UN definitely acts as a forum for that.

Its weaknesses stem from the basic idea that countries wont give up their sovereignty to a central entity nor will more powerful countries give up their leverage. It's always an interesting comparison to look at the UN and the original 13 colonies and the Articles of Confederation. A lot of similiar problems, but more magnified.

One problem with the UN though is its susceptibility to corruption.

The UN is not worthless.

However, it has been close to 10 years since any major agreement was made in the UN. The main problem is, the UN itself really has no power anymore. Countries can generally do what they want without fear of retribution or viable sanctions from the UN.

I think the disagreements over the 2nd Iraq War at the UN showed how weakened things are. The U.S. and the UK were the only countries who wanted to go into Iraq. They tried to get the other major UN nations to back them, but none of them could agree to this war.

These days, it looks like the major powers have full control over the UN (U.S, China, Russia, EU). If anyone of them disagrees on a course of action, the whole thing falls apart. It's also not like anyone would actually try and punish the U.S. for ignoring the UN's instructions.

Corruption is a big problem, as seen in the Oil for Food scandal. Those sorts of things should not be happening. I would like to see the UN be used to deal with humanitarian crises more than military actions. In this way, it can be more useful.

Unfortunately Kim Jong Il is smart enough to know that the UN isn't going to launch a military action against his country. It would be EXTREMELY messy. It's too bad he's not as dumb as he looks...

If its not wortless yet has no power to resolve anything major whats the point? Keeping Germany from invading Poland again?

They provide some helpful aid from time to time.

The UN is useful for its branch organizations like the IMF and such. Giving aid to people around the world who need it. It isn't useful as a law producing body that tries to control the world's conduct, b/c it has no muscle, and unfortunately muscle is whats needed to enforce laws, which is why cops exist.

I agree that it's days of being an international police force are probably over.

I dont recall when those days actually started. Was it it in Rwanda where Annan forbade the peace keeping forces from destroying the hutu rebel weapon caches before the genocide started. Thanks to the UN doing nothing, those same weapons were used to kill over 500,000 people

I agree that it's days of being an international police force are probably over.

I dont recall when those days actually started. Was it it in Rwanda where Annan forbade the peace keeping forces from destroying the hutu rebel weapon caches before the genocide started. Thanks to the UN doing nothing, those same weapons were used to kill over 500,000 people

It started during the Korean War. It probably ended after the conflict in the Balkans.

It started during the Korean War. It probably ended after the conflict in the Balkans.

They never did much good in those terms anyway. The USSR was constantly vetoing anything the west wanted to do and vice versa.

They never did much good in those terms anyway. The USSR was constantly vetoing anything the west wanted to do and vice versa.

Sometimes, but not always. The USSR couldn't do anything about the Korean War.

I think the Gulf War (I) was the best example of how a coalition of nations can solve a problem.

By comparison, it's bastard child Gulf War (II) was the opposite. :plain