Marlins fielding calls about Wes Helms; JoBo, not so much

The Marlins haven't been quite as busy this July as in years past, but their phones have rung a few times.

According to a front office official who recently spoke with the Marlins, they have yet to receive inquires about closer Joe Borowski but they have fielded calls about Wes Helms.

Helms can provide depth at the corner infield positions. He's provided pop in his spot starts and is a steady pinch hitter.

"I know that I've played better with my role this year and it's good other teams are noticing," Helms said.

"If I can help a team go to the playoffs or whatever, I'd be up for that. It's flattering in a way to know teams are talking about you. It always makes you feel proud of what you've done on the field."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

I actually like Helms sticking around because he's a good veteran in the clubhouse for the young guys. Plus he has gotten some clutch hits for us ala Baltimore. The only thing we really need is bullpen help but I think the young bullpen will come around. I really like the team we have, just need more experience.

I actually like Helms sticking around because he's a good veteran in the clubhouse for the young guys. Plus he has gotten some clutch hits for us ala Baltimore. The only thing we really need is bullpen help but I think the young bullpen will come around. I really like the team we have, just need more experience.

I'm wish you here. Besides the veteran leadership and pinch hitting, he has been a solid backup for Cabrera at third and Jacobs at first. Of the few real veterans on the team, he is the one I would like to see the Marlins resign to a one (or two) year extension on his contract.

Marlins centerfielders have hit .228/.297/.360 this year (only Seattle is worse), do not project to be starting calibre players, and collectively cannot play defense. CF is a much bigger issue then the bullpen, where there is a lot of talent that just needs to grow up.

I'm wish you here. Besides the veteran leadership and pinch hitting, he has been a solid backup for Cabrera at third and Jacobs at first. Of the few real veterans on the team, he is the one I would like to see the Marlins resign to a one (or two) year extension on his contract.

He'll be gone, just like Easley.

It's a bad move not to trade these guys if they can get anything that might help us down the road.

It's a bad move not to trade these guys if they can get anything that might help us down the road.

I just don't see anyone in our minors right now who can fill the role Helms has next season. Stokes needs to really cut down on his K rate before I would trust him to be a solid pinch hitter/backup 1B. We could probably pick up another vet like Helms on the FA market during the offseason, but having a little continuity on the team would be good plus he has proven himself to be a very valuable bench player for the Marlins. I don't see the Marlins being able to net a real valuable prospect in a straight up deal for Helms.

To be honest I'm not very surprised that there is little interest in Borowski. I just don't think he has pitched well this year.

:blink: his numbers say otherwise.. he's been consistently good all year.

I can't imagine Helms' value being much of anything, just a utility player with some pop- good ph for a contender I suppose.

Mike Gonzalez, Scott Linebrink and Tom Gordon are the only relievers on the market that I would say are better than Borowski... All three of their GMs have stated they won't be traded, which leaves Borowski as the next best option for the Dodgers, Yankees, White Sox, Giants, etc. Let the bidding wars begin!

Marlins centerfielders have hit .228/.297/.360 this year (only Seattle is worse), do not project to be starting calibre players, and collectively cannot play defense. CF is a much bigger issue then the bullpen, where there is a lot of talent that just needs to grow up.

Yeah I forgot about center. I think Hermida can play center with Willy in left and Ross in right. But then that leaves out Amezaga who is becoming one of the more valuable backups on the team (and one of my favorites). He always seems to do something good.

First of all anytime you see a "source" like the one quoted in the Sun-Sentinel a red flag warning should go up. Because this source isn't "in" on what's being discussed, it doesn't mean things aren't being discussed.

It may also be, if the source is in fact with another major league team (as opposed to a scout), it may be a team which Beinfest and his crew have already determined doesn't match up with the Marlins needs, or is a team in our division, or some other reason.

BBTN recognizes the guy is on the list of best RPs to be traded you have to believe that isn't by accident. Even for a team with a first rate closer, Borowski is the perfect backup guy can setup for you. So, time may proveme wrong, but I think he'll be moved and in the end, to the benefit of the Marlins and Joe.

To be honest I'm not very surprised that there is little interest in Borowski. I just don't think he has pitched well this year.

Only in the eyes of a contender who needs a closer. Who would be...?

If the Marlins trade Helms I wouldn't mind seeing Conine as a replacement.

Id rather see Jason Stokes get called up and get those at bats Helms had vs lefties

I'd like to see some veteran presence with the club. Conine provides good versatility as well.

And Conine is traditionally good against LHP.

conine is gone and not coming back here...why is that so hard for people to understand, if helms leaves and stokes doesnt get the call, i suspect stokes is let go of as well

Id rather see Jason Stokes get called up and get those at bats Helms had vs lefties

I'd like to see some veteran presence with the club. Conine provides good versatility as well.

conine is gone and not coming back here...why is that so hard for people to understand, if helms leaves and stokes doesnt get the call, i suspect stokes is let go of as well

:lol ... Stokes being let go is laughable

I just don't see anyone in our minors right now who can fill the role Helms has next season. Stokes needs to really cut down on his K rate before I would trust him to be a solid pinch hitter/backup 1B. We could probably pick up another vet like Helms on the FA market during the offseason, but having a little continuity on the team would be good plus he has proven himself to be a very valuable bench player for the Marlins. I don't see the Marlins being able to net a real valuable prospect in a straight up deal for Helms.

If I was a contender and needed a lefty killing bench bat, I think I could dangle a "harvey garcia" or "jesus delgado" or "scott nestor" in front of the Marlins and think the deal gets done. I would ask for a potential impact single A RP for Helms. We keep bringing in all these young RP or retreds trying to catch on with second or third teams, eventually we will find Bobby Jenks or Brendon Donnelly.

Reed is playing much like Abercrombie and is currently on the 60 day DL anyway.

Abercrombie: .215/.279/.341, 5 HR in 223 ABs

Reed: .217/.260/.377, 6 HR in 212 ABs

With Choo and Jones up from the Mariners, Jeremy Reed is a very interesting buy low candidate in the offseason. They'd dump him for sure. I'd have no problem sending them one of our own struggling young pitchers, like a Vargas or Pinto, and cross our fingers Reed plays more to his minor league resume. I don't even know if we would have to give up that much with him right now. I'll admit a personal bias against him, I like him. I think we are past the days he is going to be a star, but I like to think he is a good rebound candidate.

Reed is playing much like Abercrombie and is currently on the 60 day DL anyway.

Abercrombie: .215/.279/.341, 5 HR in 223 ABs

Reed: .217/.260/.377, 6 HR in 212 ABs

With Choo and Jones up from the Mariners, Jeremy Reed is a very interesting buy low candidate in the offseason. They'd dump him for sure. I'd have no problem sending them one of our own struggling young pitchers, like a Vargas or Pinto, and cross our fingers Reed plays more to his minor league resume. I don't even know if we would have to give up that much with him right now. I'll admit a personal bias against him, I like him. I think we are past the days he is going to be a star, but I like to think he is a good rebound candidate.

I have no feelings towards Reed one way or the other.

Just answering fishfanforever7's question on how he had looked this year.

Seems to me Conine pretty much burned his bridges as he hightailed out of town, too good to play with the kids and not afraid to say so.

The fact is if he came back, it would be with his tail between his legs and with no position available, riding the pine while youngsters play everyday unless the Fish trade Willingham or Helms.

Yeah because Conine hasn't left and come back before, right?

And Stokes being let go really is laughable.

I don't think Conine burned his bridges at all. Do you think Beinfest, Loria, and co. would not want him back just because he decided to try and play with what he felt was a more contending team this year? Now whether the Orioles had a better chance going into the season is debatable seeing as their rivals in the division are very strong teams but it could be understood. I doubt the players or Girardi would hold anything against him either should he return this year or next year or whenever if he keeps playing.

Conine's at the end of his career, it's approaching anyway and I don't think there's anything wrong with a guy choosing to play in a place he felt he had a better chance at winning at. You don't want to end your career being a mentor and losing more games than you win and that had to be his mindset going in. Some of us expected the fish to play better than I'm sure he did or most did, but that doesn't mean he burned his bridges just because he went and signed elsewhere instead.

I'd give him a standing ovation if he returns as a visiting player and I'd give him one of course if he returns as a Marlin one day. Maybe he burned the bridges to a few fans, but I am confident in my thinking that the bridges still stand strong as far as the players, and management go.

I don't think anyone holds anything against Conine... he didn't want to play on a team made up of minor leaguers who would be taking lumps and losing more than winning. No one wants to go through that.

I doubt he's coming back though.

As for Borowski, I'd love to see a centerfielder from a team's top 20 in return.

As for Helms, not sure what they can get, probably just a minor leaguer.