Let's Make a Deal

Ramp

With the MLB Trade Deadline creeping up on us, I figured Id take a look at the 3 Marlins most likely to be dealt. We all know that teams are calling about Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis everyday, but unless someone unloads the farm, the DTrain is staying in Miami. And dont even talk about Cabrera, for the only thing he would be traded for is a shiny new stadium. The three I'm going to talk about are Wes Helms, Matt Herges, and Joe Borowski.

Contending teams always need bench help and there hasnt been a better bench player in the league this year than Wes Helms. Primarily playing 1b for the Marlins this year, Helms has also stepped in at 3b when asked to. The 30 year old is hitting .270 with 7 homeruns in 122 at bats so far in 2006 but since May 21st, he has been on an absolute tear. In those 69 at bats, Wes is hitting .290/.347/.638 with 4 doubles, 1 triple and 6 homeruns. Not a part of the Marlins future, I'll be disappointed in the Marlins and for Wes if he is still in teal in about 9 days. He deserves to be in a pennant chase, and the Marlins should be looking to get a solid B level prospect for him.

Player in the Marlins system that is close to a player the Marlins could acquire for Helms: Chris Resop or JT Restko

It's hard to believe, but Matt Herges could actually be a nice 7th inning guy for a contending team. Most of us still have the visions of April and most of May dancing in our heads, as Herges was giving up leads like it was going out of style. In those 2 months, Matt was 0-2 with 4 blown saves, and an ERA of 5.48. But just like most of the Marlins, since May 21st he has turned things around, as his ERA has been 3.18 in his last 22.8 innings, and this is including a crap performance of his in a 12-0 blowout to Houston. If you recall, back in April his newborn son was very sick and that obviously took a bigger toll on him than we all realized. Herges is no longer the "human white flag", but is an actual legit pitcher in the Marlins pen right now. I wouldnt expect the Marlins to get anything wonderful for him, but they should look to deal him if possible. Edit: After seeing the Cubs just get 2 Top 30 prospects from the Padres system for Scott Williamson, I fully expect us to get an actual prospect or two from whoever takes a flier on Herges.

And we finally get to the major trading piece the Marlins have to move to a contending team. Joe Borowski has been everything and more for the Marlins this season. JoBo is 0-2 with a 3.55era and 20 saves this season, with only 2 blown saves.In his 39 innings this season, opponents are hitting just .233 off of him. If you need a setup guy, he can do that... if you need a closer, he can do that too. Hell, if you want him to be your LOOGY, he can also do that as lefties are hitting just .180 off of him this year and and just .226 off of him since 2003(righties hitting .231). Is money an issue with your ballclub? No problem, as Joe will be owed as much as $400,000 for the rest of the year, and even the cheapest of teams can afford that. After watching the Mariners get a real good arm in Travis Chick in exchange for Eddie Guardo, and seeing the haul of talent the Nationals got for Gary Majewski and Bill Bray, Im starting to think Borowski might bring in a legit player for the very near future. A couple of names probably being available are Willy Taveras and Laynce Nix, but Im more interested in the young bombers like Hunter Pence and Matt Kemp. If we have to throw in a young arm as well, so be it, but to get that CF to join this young core group would be real nice, as almost every other position is filled for the now and the future.

Oh man, if we could get Kemp or Pence for any of those guys, wow...

The GM on the other side of that deal would need to be shot.

Not really, for a team like the Astros, this is probably their last year at contending, at least for a year or two, Pettite isn't getting any younger and Clemens will not be back next year. If it helps them make the playoffs, I think it would be worth it for them.

Don't get me wrong, Borowski and Herges have been solid as of late. However, I think you are overrating them.

The most valuable piece the Marlins have for trade is Helms. Obviously GMs from other teams agree since reports indicate great interest in him.

Those reports are nonsense.... Borowski is a very wanted commodity right now

I dont think anyone is overrating Borowski... the market is what it is right now

Don't get me wrong, Borowski and Herges have been solid as of late. However, I think you are overrating them.

The most valuable piece the Marlins have for trade is Helms. Obviously GMs from other teams agree since reports indicate great interest in him.

I don't see how you can so easily assume that the report from today's Sentinel article is nonsense.

It's not an assumption... I know for a fact that its absolute nonsense and the Sun's "source" just isnt informed

If the objective this season is to audition for the rest of the decade and learn what winning is all about, then a guy like Helms is invaluable to this team, and not easily replaced.

While Admin Beinfest hasn't called me lately for my advice, I'd hold onto Helms in the face of various inquiries.

If the objective this season is to audition for the rest of the decade and learn what winning is all about, then a guy like Helms is invaluable to this team, and not easily replaced.

What Admin Beinfest hasn't called me lately for my advice, I'd hold onto Helms in the face of various inquiries.

Give Beinfest some credit...he's certainly not going to just give Helms away. Beinfest will weigh the value of Helms on the current team versus the value he can bring. If the perceived value is greater than the current value - LB will pull the trigger. It's as simple as that...

Derrick Turnbow is out (at least temporarily) as the Brewers closer. Do you think we could get Corey Hart from the Brewers for Borowski at this point?

Not if the Brewers continue their losing ways. They are 2-8 in their last ten games.

They are still just 6 games out in the WC race. Borowski would be a cheap option for the Brewers and they do have another young centerfielder in Tony Gwynn Jr.

Derrick Turnbow is out (at least temporarily) as the Brewers closer. Do you think we could get Corey Hart from the Brewers for Borowski at this point?

Not if the Brewers continue their losing ways. They are 2-8 in their last ten games.

They are still just 6 games out in the WC race. Borowski would be a cheap option for the Brewers and they do have another young centerfielder in Tony Gwynn Jr.

I wouldnt mind getting Gwynn Jr for borowski

I dont think anyone is overrating Borowski... the market is what it is right now

You are overrating him if you think we can get one of those guys for him. We get a B-level prospect at best. Borowski has always been decent in the majors...more IP than hits and an ERA under 4. However, the past 2 years no one wanted him except Tampa and us. We won't get much for him.....but I hope I'm wrong.