Weekly U.S. album sales hit 10-year low

Guest Juanky

Guest Juanky

By Geoff Mayfield

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Album sales -- including those sold via digital download -- amounted to 8.91 million copies for the week ended July 23.

That's the first time Nielsen SoundScan has tallied fewer than 9 million units since 1996, when the week that closed February 4 marked 8.94 million.

The numbers in The Billboard 200's top 10 echo this weak week. Were it not for the chart-leading "Now 22," no title on the list would surpass 70,000 copies.

The "Now" compilation registered 207,000 units. The runner-up, Los Lonely Boys' sophomore set, "Sacred," scanned 67,000, the lowest SoundScan total ever for a No. 2 album.

The previous low for an album in that spot since The Billboard 200 switched to SoundScan data in May 1991 had been 71,000 for Aerosmith's "Get a Grip" in May 1993 during that album's fourth chart week.

By the 29th sales week of 2005, 50 Cent's "The Massacre" had already rung 4.1 million copies, while 17 others had also sold 1 million or more in the calendar year. Besides "Massacre," three others had sold 2 million-plus copies.

This year, the soundtrack to "High School Musical" is top dog with 2.8 million. Only one other title -- Rascal Flatts' "Me and My Gang" -- has exceeded 2 million copies in 2006, while 15 others have surpassed 1 million.

Source

Quick, someone name a popular band that released a CD this week.

Guest Juanky

No. I think it has to do with major albums having either come out or not coming out for a bit. Kind of like no one going to a movie in between blockbusters.

I mean, NOW 22? The industry can't come up with anything to match NOW?!? The RIAA fails.

My friend's band released last week on a major, the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. Their hit song is "Face Down' it's on the Fuse a lot. But rarely on the radio. I think the prob is breaking into the mainstream radio play. If you arent fall out boy, nickelback or pop/hip hop or metal, you get no air time in orlando. All the "rock" bands are screwed over. Even death cab has sh*tty air play. If you want new music, go listen to the RJA. The album is called "dont you fake it" and is sold 25,000 albums in its 1st week.

People still buy CD's? :lol

A few of us who refuse to become criminals.

:thumbup

DUI = O.K.

Downloading YMCA by the Village People = NOT O.K.

:lol

The Village People reference was a nice touch. :D

Actually DUI's and file sharing/music piracy have a lot in common Accord........

They're both crimes punishable up to one year in prison.

DUI = O.K.

Actually DUI's and file sharing/music piracy have a lot in common Accord........

And don't you think there's something wrong with that?

When the music industry is churning out such quality CDs like Now 98734987934 and its even at the top of the Billboards there is something wrong. Maybe they should stop looking for excuses like piracy and create something worth buying

DUI = O.K.

And don't you think there's something wrong with that?

When the music industry is churning out such quality CDs like Now 98734987934 and its even at the top of the Billboards there is something wrong. Maybe they should stop looking for excuses like piracy and create something worth buying

The music industy apologizes to you for not coming up with any great CD's for you to download for free on your computer.

good grief

:plain

I've done my work to help album sales via iTunes lately.

Those enjoy good music should check out Kelly Joe Phelps new one.

Thom Yorke - solid

Keane - solid

There is still some good stuff coming out. You just have to search. OutKast has a new one upcoming. As does one of my favs, Old Crow Medicine Show.