Phoenix Serial Shooter Arrested

PhxPhin

it's been bizarre that we've had two serial killers running around out here - the baseline killer and the serial shooter

they just arrested 2 people in the serial shooter case - hope they got the right guys and enough evidence to make it stick

Mayor Gordon on arrests:

'These are the two monsters'

William Hermann and Senta Scarborough

The Arizona Republic

Aug. 4, 2006 10:45 AM

Authorities arrested two suspects in connection with a series of fatal shootings that have terrorized Phoenix area residents for more than a year, Phoenix?s police chief said Friday.

The men apprehended at a gated apartment complex in Mesa late Thursday are believed to be responsible for the crimes in the ?Serial Shooter? case ? one of two serial predators whom authorities say have been operating in the Phoenix area, said police Chief Jack Harris.

"They are the serial shooters that this task force has been hunting," Harris said at a press conference Friday morning.

Authorities identified the two as Dale Hausner and Samuel Dieteman, and said the arrests were made following numerous tips from the public.

?These are the two monsters we have been hunting, and I promise you and our colleagues promise you, we are not finished,? added Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon.

Police said authorities identified the pair, whom they say are friends, on Monday and that the arrests occurred Thursday night after the pair "presented themselves," allowing tactical units from Phoenix and Mesa police to take them down.

"I assure you, these are the right guys," said Phoenix Assistant Police Chief Bill Louis, who headed up the investigation for months as a commander before his recent promotion. "The hunt is over but the work has just begun."

Authorities said they have also linked Hausner and Dieteman to two arson fires at two Wal-Mart stores on June 8 that caused an estimated $7 million in damage. The fires were set about 45 minutes apart in the plastic-flower aisles in the back of the 24-hour stores at 5605 W. Northern Ave. and 5010 N. 95th Ave.

The arson suspects were believed to be captured on surveillance camera.

The series of shootings has held the Valley in a grip of fear for more than a year, with six people killed and 18 wounded. The shootings began in May 2005.

The latest incident was Sunday night when a 22-year-old woman was shot to death while walking on Gilbert Road near Grandview Street in Mesa.

Early Friday, Mesa, Phoenix, and Scottsdale police along with FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents were at Windscape Apartments on McKellips Road near Mesa Drive searching at least one apartment. Police took various items from the apartment during the course of the morning, including what appeared to be several rifles in clear plastic cases.

Phoenix Police Sgt. Andy Hill said that a search warrant has been served in Mesa by members of the task force, including the Maricopa County Attorney's Office. Hill said that Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents also helped out on this case.

The task force is holding a news conference about the latest developments that began at 10 a.m. at Phoenix City Hall.

"I hope they got him," said Caroll Roberts, whose 19-year-old son was shot in the torso last month and survived after four hours of surgery. "I want to shoot him in the stomach to see how he'd like it, like he did my son."

Raul Castillo, who lives in the Mesa apartment complex, could only say, "I hope they catch him.

A tow truck appeared at the apartments about 4 a.m., and about a half hour later a silver, later-model Toyota Camry was towed away.

The Serial Shooter case is one of two serial attacker cases being investigated in the Valley. The "Baseline Killer" has shot to death eight people and been involved in sexual assaults and robberies since last August. Police still are asking for the help of the public in that case.

Early Friday, the two suspects in the Serial Shooter case were being questioned at the Phoenix Police Department by investigators. Video of the suspects provided by Phoenix Police, though blurred, indicate the men are White, though not much else could be gleaned.

The suspects were expected to be taken to Maricopa County jail later in the morning, officials said.

A woman who lives in the complex said it "freaked her out'' that the killers might live near her. Jessica Lilienthel said, "It's scary if they were living here. It could have been any one of us.''

Complex resident Loraine Salyers said she lives near where police came in Friday.

"I came out and there were like a hundred cops," Salyers said. I was so scared. My heart's pounding."

---

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0804shooter-ON.html