Edwards fined $20,000 for post race actions at Michigan

Edwards given fine, probation for MIS actions

No points taken for post-race altercation with Earnhardt Jr.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR announced Tuesday that Carl Edwards, driver of the No. 60 Ford in the NASCAR Busch Series, has been fined and placed on probation due to a rule violation at Michigan International Speedway on Aug. 19.

Edwards was fined $20,000 for violating Section 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing: hitting another competitor's car after the completion of the race) of the 2006 NASCAR Busch Series Rule Book.

He was also placed on probation until Dec. 31.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. slammed into the rear end of Edwards' No. 60 Ford early in a green-white-checkered finish in Saturday's Carfax 250, sending Edwards spinning down the track and nearly taking Gordon with him. That gave two-time Busch champion Earnhardt his second Busch win in four starts this season and the 22nd of his career.

Edwards first drove onto pit road and momentarily parked in Earnhardt's pit. Then he drove back onto the track as the field drove slowly by behind the pace car, banging hard into the side of Earnhardt's No. 8 Chevrolet.

"I didn't mean to spin him out. I don't go around wrecking people," Earnhardt said. "I wouldn't have waited two years to get back at him for wrecking me in Atlanta in 2004 pretty much the same way.

"We got a run off that corner, and Carl just got sideways and he wasn't in the gas. I guess he was pretty mad at me, but there wasn't much I could do."

Earnhardt, the most popular driver in NASCAR, was loudly booed by the crowd when replays showed on the big screens as he got to Victory Lane.

Asked if he saw Edwards coming off pit road, Earnhardt shook his head and said, "I had my hand out the window. He could have taken my hand off. But he didn't. Pretty stupid. That was just rude."

Edwards, who was called to the NASCAR hauler after the race, appeared to have cooled down considerably after getting out of his car. "He just wrecked me off [Turn] 2," Edwards said. "I just wanted to make sure he knew I was mad that he wrecked me. It's racing."

source

Ridiculous.

No fine should have been given. Although Dale Jr. did get fined more a couple years back for cussing in victory lane. And Martin Truex Jr's crew chief got fined for cussing over the radio to his driver even though it was completly FOX's decision to air that piece of audio on television. NASCAR's penalty system is so out of whack it's not even funny.

Explain how what I said is wrong?

Was Jr's hand not out the window? Did Carl not drive by and slam his car not too far away from said hand? Is what he did not clearly stated as being against the rules?

You can say some of us have Jr. bias, but if that's the case you've got the bias the other way. (BTW, I'm a fan of Bobby Labonte's)

The race was over, they were driving around slowly waiting for the final decision There's no way a guy should have to worry about some guy driving by and slamming his car. He wasn't driving on a highway, he was driving at a paced speed in basically a single file.

Good. What he did was completely wreckless.

He is not being fined for any language. He was fined because he tried to hit another driver who was waving to the crowd after the race was finished. If Nascar does nothing there maybe next time a driver slams into another car and there is a severe injury.

And for the record it was Jr that dropped the f-bomb over the house PA although both of them were cussing like no other. And that was after TV had gone off the air anyways.

Explain how what I said is wrong?

Was Jr's hand not out the window? Did Carl not drive by and slam his car not too far away from said hand? Is what he did not clearly stated as being against the rules?

You can say some of us have Jr. bias, but if that's the case you've got the bias the other way. (BTW, I'm a fan of Bobby Labonte's)

Would you rather Edwards pull a Jimmy Spencer and punch Junior out in the pits after the race? If that's what you're looking for, watch this week at Bristol.

It takes a lot to piss a guy like Edwards off. If running into his car after the race was wreckless, what do you call not letting up at all when you see the guy in front of you come up and block? Edwards blocked and got spun for it. Any driver is going to get hot over that. Especially in the closing laps. Period.

And by the way, your driver was responsible for wrecking and ending the race for Todd Kluever and David Stremme on that same exact afternoon so you really have no room to talk about recklessness. :thumbup

Man have you been a Nascar 'fan' for like 3 weeks or something. Every driver has wrecked somebody in their life. Some more than others, but it happens.

It was the final lap of the race. Sure it was a jackass thing to do and Jr got booed relentlessly both Saturday and Sunday for it. But that's racing. What do you want Nascar to do? Take away Jr's win? Like I said in the last thread there has probably been 100s of races in which a driver was wrecked on the final lap. And not one of them was the winner penalized the victory. That's how Nascar is. Now I'd like to see them respect each other on the track and a driver cannot be wrecking someone everytime, but every once in a while it is ok.

Do you think Jeff Gordon should have had the win removed when he wrecked Kenseth last month in Chicago?

It is understandable for someone to get 'hot' over that. I'd be pretty pissed too, but you cannot use your car as a weapon after the checkered flag has waived. That's when you can hurt someone. And which is why he was fined. Plain and simple. Any driver does that they will get fined and in some cases could get parked. It just pisses me off because if this were any other driver other than Junior you would not care.

And come on man. Bobby Labonte is one of the cleanest race car drivers. Wrecks happen. And if it isn't a tire blowing, someone has to cause them.

Man have you been a Nascar 'fan' for like 3 weeks or something. Every driver has wrecked somebody in their life. Some more than others, but it happens.

It was the final lap of the race. Sure it was a jackass thing to do and Jr got booed relentlessly both Saturday and Sunday for it. But that's racing. What do you want Nascar to do? Take away Jr's win? Like I said in the last thread there has probably been 100s of races in which a driver was wrecked on the final lap. And not one of them was the winner penalized the victory. That's how Nascar is. Now I'd like to see them respect each other on the track and a driver cannot be wrecking someone everytime, but every once in a while it is ok.

Do you think Jeff Gordon should have had the win removed when he wrecked Kenseth last month in Chicago?

It is understandable for someone to get 'hot' over that. I'd be pretty pissed too, but you cannot use your car as a weapon after the checkered flag has waived. That's when you can hurt someone. And which is why he was fined. Plain and simple. Any driver does that they will get fined and in some cases could get parked. It just pisses me off because if this were any other driver other than Junior you would not care.

And come on man. Bobby Labonte is one of the cleanest race car drivers. Wrecks happen. And if it isn't a tire blowing, someone has to cause them.

Yes.

And I've been a race fan for about eight years now.

How is this any different from when a pitcher in mlb gets fined/suspended for throwing at a batter? Or fine for a helmet to helmet shot in the NFL. As stupid as the fines may sound they are very necessary because they prevent these guys from going up to another level. If Nascar all of a sudden says hitting someone after the race is ok or doesn't penalize someone then who's to say the next level is running a driver into the wall and injuring him. They need to have these fines in place for incidents like this. Under no situation should they ever take points away. That I don't agree with, but monetary fines and probation are perfectly ok.

From where I'm sitting, this is just more micromanagement from Helton and gang.

how is is micromanaging to fine a guy for hitting a car after the checkers have waived?

its pretty much standard operating procedure to get a fine there. Its simply stupid and I dont care if it was Rusty that had done that, put aside your hatred for any one driver or your homerism for any one driver. Its pretty black and white there.

You use your car as a weapon to hit another car after the checkers have waived, especially after you were on pit road and you are getting a fine. Period.

Not really any room for arguement there.

The funny thing is they'd do exactly the same thing if he had done it during green flag laps. The "after the checkers" argument doesn't hold water to me.

Bottom line is there is no respect in the Cup series. The truck series is the only series in which the drivers, even if they dislike each other, respect each other.

Junior showed no respect by running Edwards over so Edwards showing him no respect by bumping him after the race was well deserved. Edwards should not have been penalized. And if he did get penalized, Junior should have been penalized for aggressive driving and have that win removed from his record and given to Robby Gordon.

But as I said before, NASCAR protects it's franchise drivers. Perfect example right here.

Again I ask you as I asked in the last thread to which I got no response. Name the incidents in which Nascar has protected its 'golden boys.' Provide me with f***ing facts please. I have asked on several occasions and all you do is make a broad vague statement. Back up your opinion with something worthwhile.

If Nascar really protected them Gordon would have made the chase last year along with Earnhardt. In 2004. Jr was 2nd or 3rd in the points with a couple races to go. He is blantantly wrecked on the STRAIGHTAWAY by Carl Edwards while running in the top 5 with less than 20 laps to go. Edwards goes on to finish 3rd while Junior was well out of the top 20 and his title shots were destroyed. Edwards does not get penalized in any way. Shouldn't he have been penalized in your opinion? Why didn't Nascar stick up for its golden boy in that situation? Fact is people love to hate the popular guys and the look for conspiracy theories. Just like people hate the Yankees or Red Sox.

And for the 1,000th time in no way would Nascar remove a win from a driver unless he were found to have illegal equipment(even then the last time that happened was 1955). This has been going on since the beginning of Nascar. Cars have been wrecked on the final lap. Not a single victory has ever and will ever be taken away. Anything goes on the final lap of a race.

And you are damn straight Nascar would penalize Edwards if he did it during the race. If you drive recklessly there are going to be penalties. Retaliation should not be allowed. If Junior did the same thing he'd get fined as well. Kenseth got fined earlier this year in Daytona for doing the same thing. Sounds consistent to me. I don't believe Tony got fined for wrecking Kenseth in the first place. Very similar situation.

In the past couple years these are the drivers who have retaliated after the race and been fined: For pushing Matt Kenseth after the race Gordon was fined $10,000. (Isn't he one of Nascar's Golden Boys?) Tony Stewart was fined $50,000 for grabbing Brian Vickers a few years ago. Kevin Harvick after his fight in Martinsville was suspended and fined $35,000. Also another $35,000 for hitting Ricky Rudd's car following the conclusion of the Richmond race in 2003. In 2004 Rusty Wallace was fined $10,000 for bumping Ryan Newman following a race in Martinsville. Bottom line if you retaliate against someone who wrecked you in a obvious and blatant way there are going to be penalties.

The consistency for this type of penalty is there.

Edwards is one of my favorite drivers out there and I agree with the fine. Any kind of retaliation like that is going to warrant a fine and the drivers know that. Jr.'s move at the end was not clean, but my feeling is that when it gets down to the end, almost anything goes, I can understand Carl's frustration, and don't blame him for being upset, but as soon as he retaliated you had to know he would be reprimanded for it.

Again I ask you as I asked in the last thread to which I got no response. Name the incidents in which Nascar has protected its 'golden boys.' Provide me with f***ing facts please. I have asked on several occasions and all you do is make a broad vague statement. Back up your opinion with something worthwhile.

If Nascar really protected them Gordon would have made the chase last year along with Earnhardt. In 2004. Jr was 2nd or 3rd in the points with a couple races to go. He is blantantly wrecked on the STRAIGHTAWAY by Carl Edwards while running in the top 5 with less than 20 laps to go. Edwards goes on to finish 3rd while Junior was well out of the top 20 and his title shots were destroyed. Edwards does not get penalized in any way. Shouldn't he have been penalized in your opinion? Why didn't Nascar stick up for its golden boy in that situation? Fact is people love to hate the popular guys and the look for conspiracy theories. Just like people hate the Yankees or Red Sox.

And for the 1,000th time in no way would Nascar remove a win from a driver unless he were found to have illegal equipment(even then the last time that happened was 1955). This has been going on since the beginning of Nascar. Cars have been wrecked on the final lap. Not a single victory has ever and will ever be taken away. Anything goes on the final lap of a race.

And you are damn straight Nascar would penalize Edwards if he did it during the race. If you drive recklessly there are going to be penalties. Retaliation should not be allowed. If Junior did the same thing he'd get fined as well. Kenseth got fined earlier this year in Daytona for doing the same thing. Sounds consistent to me. I don't believe Tony got fined for wrecking Kenseth in the first place. Very similar situation.

In the past couple years these are the drivers who have retaliated after the race and been fined: For pushing Matt Kenseth after the race Gordon was fined $10,000. (Isn't he one of Nascar's Golden Boys?) Tony Stewart was fined $50,000 for grabbing Brian Vickers a few years ago. Kevin Harvick after his fight in Martinsville was suspended and fined $35,000. Also another $35,000 for hitting Ricky Rudd's car following the conclusion of the Richmond race in 2003. In 2004 Rusty Wallace was fined $10,000 for bumping Ryan Newman following a race in Martinsville. Bottom line if you retaliate against someone who wrecked you in a obvious and blatant way there are going to be penalties.

I lost all respect for NASCAR on the last lap of the Talladega Spring 2003 race. You probably remember what happened.

If it weren't for guys like Sterling, DJ, and Mark Martin, I wouldn't be watching.

And BTW, I thought Edwards was already on probation?

And you asked me how long I've been a race fan? :rolleyes:

I gave examples...you have done nothing to prove that this penalty is not consistent with past rulings.

And yeah Dodge I do agree with you there. The Taledega race was bs. I mean it's debateable, but Nascar simply went the wrong way there. That was a bad call, but I mean they aren't going to be perfect. No refereeing in any sport is perfect. That's just one occasion though. Bad calls will happen, but I mean just because Nascar made the wrong call there doesn't mean they protect their golden boys. I'd understand the argument if they didn't penalize Junior 25 points for saying 'sh*t' while in the middle of a championship race or the countless number of times he's got a pit road speeding penalty. If they wanted to protect that they'd just ignore the speeding. Obviously Nascar has the drivers they want to make the chase similar to MLB playoffs when the MLB wants a big market team to make the World Series. That doesn't mean they are going to go out and do something to change the outcome. Sometimes there may be a call that seems that way, but it just doesn't mean its a conspiracy.

I feel like it's more the media than anything. They're the ones who go down to Junior's pits 16 times during a single race even if he isn't top 10. It's just a cycle that racing goes through. In 10 years Junior/Gordon/Johnson will be the Mark Martins/DJs of Nascar and there will be new young hot head drivers.