Miami still Alive.

gobucks

My information is that the current funding gap for Hialeah is much greater.

Tell that to Marlins2003... I thought he was ready to go postal on me the other day for even questioning whether they can raise $100 million in TIF revenue at the Hialeah site.

I see you still don't understand the difference between TIF and special taxing districts, as they have been used in Miami-Dade over the last decade or so.

You keep talking about TIFs and that isn't what is contemplated, at least in Hialeah.

just a few days ago you were saying hialeah was "dead", "off the table" and "not an option", and here we are a week after the miami herald broke the news about the arena site and the city of miami is the one that's "dead", "off the table" and "not an option" and hialeah is very much in the lead.

Tell that to Marlins2003... I thought he was ready to go postal on me the other day for even questioning whether they can raise $100 million in TIF revenue at the Hialeah site.

because the TIF isnt going to pay for all $100 million. it is very possible the CDT contribution is adjusted for 2006 dollars.

"just a few days ago you were saying hialeah was "dead", "off the table" and "not an option", and here we are a week after the miami herald broke the news about the arena site and the city of miami is the one that's "dead", "off the table" and "not an option" and hialeah is very much in the lead."

Quad,

Did i say something that rubbed you the wrong way?

I passed on the infromation the best I could and stand by all of it. Those comments were relayed to me by my source. By now you can probably figure out that my source was more involved with the Miami proposal than the goings on in Hialeah.

Having said that I stand by my statements that MLB is strongly against the Hialeah site and that the funding gap is more significant than has been reported.

I am for the fish getting a stadium. Hialeah is fine with me.

"just a few days ago you were saying hialeah was "dead", "off the table" and "not an option", and here we are a week after the miami herald broke the news about the arena site and the city of miami is the one that's "dead", "off the table" and "not an option" and hialeah is very much in the lead."

Quad,

Did i say something that rubbed you the wrong way?

I passed on the infromation the best I could and stand by all of it. Those comments were relayed to me by my source. By now you can probably figure out that my source was more involved with the Miami proposal than the goings on in Hialeah.

Having said that I stand by my statements that MLB is strongly against the Hialeah site and that the funding gap is more significant than has been reported.

I am for the fish getting a stadium. Hialeah is fine with me.

if the funding gap were still 100 million or even more, the marlins would have given up on hialeah a long time ago, especially since you say the league is so much against the site. they would have taken the deal in downtown miami instead of rejecting it (as you said) a week after being told about it.

I think gobucks source is correct. It is the same thing my source has said since day one. ........."aint nobody going to Hialeah."

In my opinion (not any source) this is all about showing diligence to the rest of the mlb owners in regards to the debt forgiveness.

please explain how that solves this team's long term problem of building a new stadium for the 2011 season, when the team will no longer be allowed to play in dolphin stadium?

as i stated in earlier post a MOU is nowhere near a complete deal. if a MOU were signed today a stadium wouldnt be approved by the various parts of the city/county/state government until february-march. so that argument is full of holes.

I think gobucks source is correct. It is the same thing my source has said since day one. ........."aint nobody going to Hialeah."

In my opinion (not any source) this is all about showing diligence to the rest of the mlb owners in regards to the debt forgiveness.

I think you heard wrong. more likely

"ain't nobody going to San Antonio"

Signed,

Bob Dupay and Bud Selig

Well, truth be told, I thought they burned bridges with Miami for good when the Orange Bowl plan collapsed. So nothing is going to be resolved for a long time.

I get the feeling that a retractable roof park is getting further and further away from reality, barring a major infusion of private capital. Then there's the question of whether that is financially viable. If there would be money lost in such a scenario then they may not want to spend it.

I see you still don't understand the difference between TIF and special taxing districts, as they have been used in Miami-Dade over the last decade or so.

You keep talking about TIFs and that isn't what is contemplated, at least in Hialeah.

TIF = Tax Increment Financing, based on an increase in property values.

Special taxing district = special assessment

I'm just going off of what has been quoted in the media and CapeFish's blog (where TIF has been widely mentioned). Whether it's TIF or a special taxing district, either they can fund the gap or they can't. And apparently they can't. Yet.

I'm just going off of what has been quoted in the media and CapeFish's blog (where TIF has been widely mentioned). Whether it's TIF or a special taxing district, either they can fund the gap or they can't. And apparently they can't. Yet.

Wrong.

Wrong.

robaina mentioned on the radio TIF is what they will be using.

a similar plan is in place downtown to pay for the white elephant known as the performing arts center:

At this time, the Omni Area Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) -- which gathers the increased property taxes generated by booming construction around the new PAC -- is paying $1.43 million a year to help pay off bonds for the center's construction. But, since the PAC/Omni area is growing, the CRA this year actually has $11 million in tax money to dole out. PAC officials would like some of that for future operating budgets. But by law, CRA tax money can be spent only for construction bonds -- for the arts center or other construction projects in the designated Omni district. (The CRA comprises 40 square blocks running from the Interstate 395 overpass to Northeast 20th Street, and between the bay and the FEC railroad tracks.)

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/15258178.htm

WPLG also mentioned TIF: http://mfile.akamai.com/12918/wmv/vod.ibsy...333254.200k.asx

cactus leaguer,

miami-dade tax collector, Ian Yorty mentioned in june that his department would spend the summer investigating the issue. for you to say they cant fund they gap with a TIF is very premature. a report should be coming in any day now. county manager burgess said he's pretty confident a TIF district will gather enough money.

i wouldnt be surprised if the meeting with mlb this week or next week includes a completed tax report and some type of complete financing package.

Just for what it's worth, my understanding was and still is that Hialeah Heights will be earmarked as Special Taxing District.

The distinction is that there is no add-on tax component as you use in a TIF, but rather that as was the case in South Beach (below 5th) the same dollars are collected but the split heavily favors the municipal entity underwriting the bonds, which in this case (but as always subject to change) the City of Hialeah.

What you might see is an 80/20 split of property taxes collected with the county keeping the 20%. That wasn't the exact number I heard but works for illustration purposes.

What's happening around the PAC, and one of the reasons for the increase in tax collections is increasing property values. A rising tide lifts all ships if you will, as the neighborhood, long blighted (think an abandoned Omni Mall and a hundred derelict buildings) is now becoming part of the high-rise urban landscape that is changing the face of Miami.

But as I was saying the main difference between a TIF and a STD is that there isn't a second layer of taxation in the latter, which in itself will spur faster development. I would think the last thing Codina wants is to be taxed twice as he contributes land and turns a poluted landfill into a center of commerce.