Do the Marlins bring in a hired gun?

TheDon

I think the chemistry question is a valid one.

That said, I would if the right person became available and was close enough to us in the standings indeed go after a "hired gun". At this point in the season, with the wildcard in sight I think you throw out conventional wisdom and not necessarily go for youth, but rather for experience.

You're not trying to build for next year, you're trying to win now. If a (healthy) Jim Edmonds (for example purposes only) came available you jump all over that puppy and go for it. I don't think it makes much sense to bring in another kid who might be great next year or the year after because he just isn't going to contribute in 2006.

They need to bring in somebody, hopefully some bullpen help and I think they eventually will. The only explanation for them not brining in some help is that loria's dumb ass doesnt want to spend a little bit of money.

The teams only weaknesses right now are the pen and CF and I doubt they acquire a CF that is much better than what they got now. More depth ,however, would be nice.

Gimme Brian Meadows. Control pitcher coming from the AL East...would be a nice addition to the pen and move a slumping Messenger back a slot.

In CF.....I still don't count out Juan Pierre. His bat has picked up. His glove will be solid and the chemistry that he and Willis have will definitly give this very hot team a jolt!!

Juan Pierre and Brian Meadows.

Gimme Brian Meadows. Control pitcher coming from the AL East...would be a nice addition to the pen and move a slumping Messenger back a slot.

In CF.....I still don't count out Juan Pierre. His bat has picked up. His glove will be solid and the chemistry that he and Willis have will definitly give this very hot team a jolt!!

Juan Pierre and Brian Meadows.

Meadows is a nice idea.

Is he touchable?

JP would be a great kick in the pants but Im not so sure he's be worth parting with a young arm for though.

I doubt Pierre cleared waivers given his lack of a contract beyond this season and a lot of contending teams need for speed.

I will say, that given the incredible unlikelyhood that any outfielder of consequence cleared waivers, I'm all for a bullpen deal, especially with Kensing's health still up in the air.

what about john wehner? is he still around?

I think the chemistry question is a valid one.

That said, I would if the right person became available and was close enough to us in the standings indeed go after a "hired gun". At this point in the season, with the wildcard in sight I think you throw out conventional wisdom and not necessarily go for youth, but rather for experience.

You're not trying to build for next year, you're trying to win now. If a (healthy) Jim Edmonds (for example purposes only) came available you jump all over that puppy and go for it. I don't think it makes much sense to bring in another kid who might be great next year or the year after because he just isn't going to contribute in 2006.

isn't edmonds still concussed from that collision in Chicago?

I know there's a lot of crazy stuff going on within the organization.

But do you think its possible that the FO goes after a CF to make a push at the WC?

And if so who is attainable without giving up too much youth?

I doubt the Marlins will pick up a centerfielder at this point. They'll (hopefully) make that move during the offseason. Like others said, a bullpen addition is possible but that would probably depend on whether Kensing will be able to be activated in September.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.