Girardi stays home with pregnant wife

Malman

Wow...I wonder what Mr. Loria thinks about this???

:whistle

Girardi stays home with pregnant wife

By Juan C. Rodriguez

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Posted August 29 2006, 5:35 PM EDT

ST. LOUIS ? Manager Joe Girardi did not travel with the Marlins to St. Louis late Monday, opting to remain with his pregnant wife, Kim.

Kim is due to deliver to any day. With Tropical Storm Ernesto bearing down on South Florida, Girardi wanted to avoid a weather-related travel hang-up if she were to deliver in the next two days.

Girardi plans to rejoin the club in time for Thursday's series finale against the Cardinals, even if Kim hasn't delivered by then.

Once the weather passes the thought is Girardi will be able to reach the hospital quickly if summoned for the birth.

Bench coach Gary Tuck managed Tuesday's bid to match the team-record nine-game winning streak.

There's no real storm happening in Florida. It fizzled.

Joe should be on a plane first thing in the morning if there's not one available tonight, and there should be an announcment to that effect tonight.

There is no weather excuse anymore.

If his wife doesn't give birth or show signs of impending pregnancy, like dilation or actually being in labor, then I say if we don't see Giraldi tomorrow then this is being used as an excuse for his dismissal by Loria. If Loria had any class he'd offer to Giraldi the use of a private jet RT at a moment's notice during the roadtrip. Let's see if Giraldi rejoins the team or not.

LINK

Florida manager Joe Girardi missed Tuesday night's game against the St. Louis Cardinals, choosing to remain at home with his pregnant wife and brace for a possible hurricane.

Girardi, whose surprising Marlins entered the day with an eight-game winning streak and were only two games back in the NL wild-card standings, said owner Jeffrey Loria made the suggestion during batting practice Monday before a home game against Milwaukee.

Kim Girardi was given a due date of Sept. 12 for the couple's third child, though delivery was scheduled to be induced on Sept. 6. Joe Girardi said the pediatrician told him the baby would likely be born before the birth was induced.

"Obviously, the hope is she holds off until next week," Girardi said in a teleconference with reporters at Busch Stadium. "But with the possibility of a hurricane or tropical storm, I would never forgive myself if something happened."

The leading edge of Tropical Storm Ernesto drenched Miami and the rest of southern Florida on Tuesday and there was the potential for more than a foot of rain. It had top winds of 45 mph, though forecasters said there was only an outside chance it would strengthen into a hurricane.

Other Marlins coaches and players brought their families on the trip to escape the storm, adding about 30 people to the team's traveling party. Kim Girardi, who couldn't fly because she's so close to the due date, told her husband to go on the road trip.

Girardi, who lives in the Miami suburb of Coral Springs, Fla., told Marlins players about his plans after Monday's victory wrapped up an 8-2 homestand. He plans on rejoining the team either late Wednesday night or in time for the finale of the three-game series on Thursday.

Girardi made out the lineup card after consulting with his coaching staff. He left bench coach Gary Tuck in charge, and about two hours before game-time he said he'd made six or seven calls to his staff.

"It was a real difficult decision for me, but obviously as important as baseball and the guys are to me, this is more important," Girardi said. "It's just difficult because you feel like you're so far away."

Girardi said he probably wouldn't have much contact with Tuck during the game because cell phones aren't allowed in the dugout. He was hoping to watch the game on TV as long as his satellite reception held.

"If there's something that's eye-glaring to me, I will call in," he said. "But I trust my coaches."

Girardi missed time during his playing career to attend the birth of a daughter, Serena. He said this instance is totally different because he's in charge. Also, because he was a catcher when he played, it was easier to schedule days off.

"I think it's a lot different because as a player you don't have the responsibilities you do as a manager," Girardi said.

Family does come first ALWAYS. Loria allowed him to do so and that was classy of him.

Tuck has done good so far today, just wondering if Joe comes back tomorrow night or Thursday?

I'd be the first to say that family comes first. But there's no need in this day and age for the manager of a baseball team in contention to sit at home waiting with a wife that may not give birth for days. He can be with the team, and be back home in 4 hours if something happens. That's normally enough time for him to make it to the hospital before birth. From the onset of labor to birth is more like 8-14 hours for a third child. The storm was a viable excuse as there was no certainty about getting back quickly, plus there is that whole thing that's an old wive's tale about women giving birth due to the lower pressure of hurricanes. So Giraldi has his day. I still say...if he's not with the team tomorrow and his wife is not dilating or in labor and on the verge of giving birth, it's not his choice. It's Loria's, and we may not see Giraldi again.

Family does come first ALWAYS. Loria allowed him to do so and that was classy of him.

Tuck has done good so far today, just wondering if Joe comes back tomorrow night or Thursday?

I'd be the first to say that family comes first. But there's no need in this day and age for the manager of a baseball team in contention to sit at home waiting with a wife that may not give birth for days. He can be with the team, and be back home in 4 hours if something happens. That's normally enough time for him to make it to the hospital before birth. From the onset of labor to birth is more like 8-14 hours for a third child. The storm was a viable excuse as there was no certainty about getting back quickly, plus there is that whole thing that's an old wive's tale about women giving birth due to the lower pressure of hurricanes. So Giraldi has his day. I still say...if he's not with the team tomorrow and his wife is not dilating or in labor and on the verge of giving birth, it's not his choice. It's Loria's, and we may not see Giraldi again.

My neighboor went into labor 3 weeks early during a hurricane 2 years ago. It happens.

My neighboor went into labor 3 weeks early during a hurricane 2 years ago. It happens.

No doubt Holly...it does happen. There's just no scientific evidence that it happens enough to be statistically signifigant. Stiil, Joe mentioned it the other day...so he had heard about the old wive's tale and it maybe meant something to him. In any case, as I say, he's had his day....and in this case there was no hurricane and no baby.

Girardi - staying at home with soon to deliver wife in inclement weather.

Loria - Owner offering options to manager without questioing dedication/commitment to team.

I think this is very simple....

Two guys doing the right thing for the right reason.

"RIGHT" is its oown defense!!

Tuck has done well so far today, just wondering if Joe comes back tomorrow night or Thursday?

there's a first. :plain

OMG, WTF is wrong with everybody? Loria is the best owner this franchise has had, has proven he will spend to win, and his only real sin is to beat on the local community for a ballpark (which every owner not in SanFran has done)

He got into a shouting match with his manager once, because he was fired up about a terrible umpire, and now he's some kind of ass pony?

My understanding is that if you are pregnant and are even *close* to giving birth, the protocol is to check yourself into a hospital for precautionary reasons. They don't give you a room or anything, but they ask that you do so in case a hurricane hits so you can avoid the danger of driving to the hospital. Also, if you do end up in labor, they don't want to send an ambulance after you in hurricane conditions. If this is the case, I don't see anything wrong with Girardi staying with his wife.

Also, during the game, didn't Craig Minervini interview Matt Herges' family, who accompanied him to St. Louis to avoid the hurricance at the insistence of Loria (who told EVERY player to bring their families so they don't have to worry about them on this road trip)?

This is a whole lot of hoopla, and it means nothing.

On a positive note, I think everyone will see on this roadtrip that our players can win without Girardi, and can do it with all of this pressure (no manager, Girardi/Loria rift, winning streak on the line, in the thick of the wild card hunt, etc.). Our players are about the show the rest of the league that they are special and deserve some attention.

My understanding is that if you are pregnant and are even *close* to giving birth, the protocol is to check yourself into a hospital for precautionary reasons. They don't give you a room or anything, but they ask that you do so in case a hurricane hits so you can avoid the danger of driving to the hospital. Also, if you do end up in labor, they don't want to send an ambulance after you in hurricane conditions. If this is the case, I don't see anything wrong with Girardi staying with his wife.

Also, during the game, didn't Craig Minervini interview Matt Herges' family, who accompanied him to St. Louis to avoid the hurricance at the insistence of Loria (who told EVERY player to bring their families so they don't have to worry about them on this road trip)?

This is a whole lot of hoopla, and it means nothing.

On a positive note, I think everyone will see on this roadtrip that our players can win without Girardi, and can do it with all of this pressure (no manager, Girardi/Loria rift, winning streak on the line, in the thick of the wild card hunt, etc.). Our players are about the show the rest of the league that they are special and deserve some attention.

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with Girardi staying with his wife last night. But there's no weather situation anymore. Flight 626 left Fort Lauderdale around noon today and Giraldi should have been on it, unless his wife is dilating or in labor. Loria should offer him a charter jet home at anytime during the road trip.