8/31, 8:10 PM - Florida Marlins vs. St. Louis Cardinals

Dodge

Now that one streak ended, the Marlins are hoping to avoid another.

The Cardinals rallied from four down on Wednesday and powered their way to a 13-6 win, snapping the Marlins' franchise-record-tying winning streak at nine.

Now unable to make team history, the Marlins will try to claim a series victory in Thursday's finale at Busch Stadium. The Fish are hopeful that their top slugger, Miguel Cabrera, will get back in action. The three-time All-Star suffered a bruised left elbow on Wednesday night after being struck by a Jason Marquis fastball in the third inning. He was removed from the game in the bottom half of the inning and is listed as day-to-day.

One X-ray was taken on Wednesday night, and another one is being planned for Thursday.

If Cabrera can't play, Wes Helms will likely start at third.

Florida will send its ace to the mound in hopes of getting back on the winning track. Dontrelle Willis can even his record at 10-10 and keep his team near the top of the National League Wild Card standings.

Of late, the Marlins are seeing the Willis of old. The D-Train has won two straight starts, giving up four earned runs in 14 innings. In five August starts, the 24-year-old left-hander is 3-2 with a 2.91 ERA.

While Willis' numbers are down compared to 2005, when he paced the big leagues with 22 wins, the energized lefty has pitched effectively over the long haul. Often, he has been hurt by a lack of run support. But he has logged a team-high 179 1/3 innings.

In pretty much every outing, he gives his team a chance to win.

Willis faced the Cardinals once this season, but that was early on, suffering a loss on May 6 in Miami. That day, he allowed seven runs (six earned) in 4 2/3 innings.

For his career, Willis is 1-2 with a 5.09 ERA (10 earned runs in 17 2/3 innings) against St. Louis.

The Cardinals will close out the series with Jeff Suppan on the mound. The veteran right-hander is making his 26th start. He's compiled 145 1/3 innings and has struck out 79 while walking 55.

In eight career starts against the Marlins, Suppan is 3-2 with a 3.28 ERA.

With Cabrera's status unclear, the Marlins are expected to call up infielder Robert Andino from Triple-A Albuquerque. To make room for Andino, reliever Randy Messenger will be optioned to Class A Jupiter. Messenger should rejoin the team when the rosters expand on Friday.

Pitching matchup

FLA: LHP Dontrelle Willis (9-10, 4.01 ERA)

Willis is 4-6 with a 3.33 ERA in 14 starts away from home this season.

STL: RHP Jeff Suppan (10-7, 4.77 ERA)

The Cards' second-best starter in the second half, Suppan has thrived at home this year. He sports a spiffy 3.04 ERA at new Busch Stadium, with a 6-2 record in 13 starts. Suppan has brought his ERA down by more than a full run since the All-Star break, adding badly needed stability to a rotation that has struggled at times.

Player to watch

Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols delivered his 39th home run on Wednesday, giving his team the lead for good in the fifth inning. Pujols added an RBI double, and the star first baseman now has 109 RBIs on the season.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

? Gameday

? Official game notes

On television

? FSN

On radio

? 560 WQAM, 1140 WQBA(Espa?ol)

Dodge is here to help the Marlins win tonight. Let's rock and roll those pesky Cardinals! :gofishb :gofisht :gofish :train2 :Batter :baseball

1. SS Hanley Ramirez

2. CF Alfredo Amezaga

3. 2B Dan Uggla

4. LF Josh Willingham

5. 1B Mike Jacobs

6. 3B Wes Helms

7. RF Joe Borchard

8. C Matt Treanor

9. SP Dontrelle Willis

@

1. RF Preston Wilson

2. LF So Taguchi

3. 1B Albert Pujols

4. 3B Scott Rolen

5. CF Juan Encarnacion

6. 2B Ronnie Belliard

7. SS Aaron Miles

8. C Yadier Molina

9. SP Jeff Suppan

One year ago today, against this same team this happened:

Time to break out, Jeremy.

:o

I went to that game. It's been a year already? Wow.

Go Marlins! Win the series.

I was there too but I didn't realize it was a year ago today!

I remember it was Bark at the Park day. I took my dog. :lol

Good times...

Ugh! Miggy not in the lineup? I hate Marquis.

1. SS Hanley Ramirez

2. CF Alfredo Amezaga

3. 2B Dan Uggla

4. LF Josh Willingham

5. 1B Mike Jacobs

6. 3B Wes Helms

7. RF Joe Borchard

8. C Matt Treanor

9. SP Dontrelle Willis

That lineup makes me so happy inside :plain. Just WIN!! I really wanted to see Jeremy but maybe another PH grand slam.

Guest ShaqandWade323

Win this game, please.

Edit: also is it just me or should Pujols get hit tonight? They hit Cabs and Pujols was acting like a little bitch last night.