Hermida Injured Once Again

PBCMarlinsFan

Here is an article on Hermida for all of those who criticized Girardi for not sending him in to pinch hit in the 9th and then pulling him mid-at-bat in the 10th. I am guessing he was sent up in the 10th to draw a walk and only swing if he got behind in the count.

Hermida out: Right fielder Jeremy Hermida's disappointing rookie season has taken another physical setback. He was out of Saturday's lineup because of a sore tendon near his right ankle.

"It's been bothering me for a while. I played on it and played on it, and it just wasn't getting any better," he said.

Hermida hopes to return to the lineup today but he wasn't optimistic.

"I'm trying to take care of it while I can before it gets worse," he said.

He said he first felt the pain near the end of the Marlins' recent homestand.

"It started hurting one day and I didn't think much of it, and the next day it was worse, and the next day it was real worse," he said.

Joe Borchard started in right field Saturday. Hermida was out from April 12 to May 21 with a sore right hip flexor. He is batting .255 with five home runs and 27 RBI in 92 games, including a .158 batting average in August.

Last year, he was called up from Class AA Carolina on Aug. 31 and hit .293 with four home runs and 11 RBI in 23 games.

Source --http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...notes_0903.html

Something's fishy.

If he was only supposed to swing when he was BEHIND in the count, why was he pulled when the count was 2-0? I have a feeling that had more to do with Hermida being a left handed batter than any "injury."

And if this has been bothering him for awhile why was Girardi putting him out there everyday despite his horrid performance? It's not like the Marlins would have missed him out there. Why play an "injured" guy everyday?

From reading what Hermida said, it is obvious he thought he could play through it and/or the Marlins hoped he could play through it. Your feelings or no, I think it is more likely Hermida was/is injured rather than not, like you seem to be implying. You stick Hermida up there because he SEEMS like more of a threat than Andino or Treanor, while in fact he is not. Plus Turnbow looked a little wild. Once they bring in Shouse, all bets are off. But that is all my conjecture, re: swinging only if he is behind in the count, not anything that was reported.

Something's fishy.

If he was only supposed to swing when he was BEHIND in the count, why was he pulled when the count was 2-0? I have a feeling that had more to do with Hermida being a left handed batter than any "injury."

And if this has been bothering him for awhile why was Girardi putting him out there everyday despite his horrid performance? It's not like the Marlins would have missed him out there. Why play an "injured" guy everyday?

From reading what Hermida said, it is obvious he thought he could play through it and/or the Marlins hoped he could play through it. Your feelings or no, I think it is more likely Hermida was/is injured rather than not, like you seem to be implying. You stick Hermida up there because he SEEMS like more of a threat than Andino or Treanor, while in fact he is not. Plus Turnbow looked a little wild. Once they bring in Shouse, all bets are off. But that is all my conjecture, re: swinging only if he is behind in the count, not anything that was reported.

You make valid points, but I still feel it was ridiculous to pull him mid-AB even with a new pitcher. He was already way ahead in the count and if he HAD to swing and got on base they could have pinch ran for him. I miss the days of Kirk Gibson when players manned up.

Seems he was trying to man up, but the injury is too much. It is too bad. He showed some signs of breaking out of his slump late last month, posting something like a .280 AVG during the last third of August.