Students Suspended For Patriotic 9/11 Shirts

Passion

I mainly disagree with the fact that minors pay sales tax (and come to think of it, income tax) when they cannot vote.

So, do you want them to vote or not to pay sales tax?

Most aren't informed enough to vote. I said most, not all. Hell, I'm not sure a lot of people WITH voting priviliges (sp?) are informed enough to vote.

I'm the only one who's informed enough to vote. We all know that.

I want minors to be tax exempt in all situations.

Meh, I don't see the big deal.

It's like money down on future priviliges. Although, maybe I'm missing something?

No, you're not. And if anyone brought this up as a challenge, there would be the issue raised of whose money is it really anyway?

How many minors are using money to buy items with money given to them buy a parent, guardian, etc... that is not a minor, therefore not making the money theirs to begin with?

Or who is to say many adults would not try to use this as a loophole and have a minor, child or otherwise, buy items for them specifically, with the adults money, to avoid paying any tax?

Idea really holds no weight and would be more of a hazzard to the system than any benefit in the long run based on the overall ethics and morals of humans in general.

I'm willing to bet my left testicle that the principal of that school isn't a republican.

I would bet my left testicle that your IQ is not above 70 with a comment like that. Straight up moronic and baseless.

Just me being altruistic, albeit impractical.

Was a nice thought, although it speaks more to your morals and ethics as compared to the average person (and why the idea wouldn't work). Nothing wrong with that.

BTW, nice use of the word altruistic. Don't encounter that word in the average person's vocabulary. :thumbup

Just me being altruistic, albeit impractical.

Was a nice thought, although it speaks more to your morals and ethics as compared to the average person (and why the idea wouldn't work). Nothing wrong with that.

BTW, nice use of the word altruistic. Don't encounter that word in the average person's vocabulary. :thumbup

:lol

Thanks. :shifty

Apparently after doing some Googling this isn't the first time this school district or superintendent has come under fire.

There was a case in '99 where Jewish students were not allowed to wear a Star of David necklace nor were Muslims not allowed to wear a crescent and star. The only necklace or chain allowed was one with a cross. This came to light as followers of the Wiccan faith (Witch) were barred for wearing symbols of their beliefs as well.

The ACLU stepped in and they won. That's absolute bulls*** and no way I would allow my child to go to a school where the only way they can wear a necklace with a religious symbol besides one of christianity is to petition the school board on a case by case basis.

The school has the 100% right to make their dress code and enforce it but that doesn't mean the parents of the children should have to stand for it and shouldn't voice their opinion to have restrictions eased up/and or changed.

I've always thought school dress code was stupid. Its rules set by a few with generally the same background/opinions for thousands of people in a district. I remember in high school a girl being suspended basically because she had big tits even though what she was wearing if worn by a smaller chested person would be no problem.

Apparently after doing some Googling this isn't the first time this school district or superintendent has come under fire.

There was a case in '99 where Jewish students were not allowed to wear a Star of David necklace nor were Muslims not allowed to wear a crescent and star. The only necklace or chain allowed was one with a cross. This came to light as followers of the Wiccan faith (Witch) were barred for wearing symbols of their beliefs as well.

The ACLU stepped in and they won. That's absolute bulls*** and no way I would allow my child to go to a school where the only way they can wear a necklace with a religious symbol besides one of christianity is to petition the school board on a case by case basis.

The school has the 100% right to make their dress code and enforce it but that doesn't mean the parents of the children should have to stand for it and shouldn't voice their opinion to have restrictions eased up/and or changed.

I've always thought school dress code was stupid. Its rules set by a few with generally the same background/opinions for thousands of people in a district. I remember in high school a girl being suspended basically because she had big tits even though what she was wearing if worn by a smaller chested person would be no problem.

Looks like Accord's left testicle is just about gone.

Apples and oranges...

If they were to make an exception for these students, then it would be similar (although not nearly as bad, but along the same lines of different rules for different people), but in this one, to ban any religious necklace is banned except for one is bulls***...either allow all, or allow none

I'm willing to bet my left testicle that the principal of that school isn't a republican.

Kelly Galley agrees. Her three children -- 13-year-old twins Monique and Jaicen Massa and 11-year-old Jaymie Massa -- were suspended last week for protesting the dress code by wearing T-shirts with the First Amendment on them. Jaymie had stayed home from Lincoln Park Middle School on Tuesday, but Monique and Jaicen wore the shirts again -- their third offense -- and were suspended again, this time for five days. One more offense and they'll be expelled.

If I were to use your logic for that part, I could post the same thing except replace republican with liberal

not sure I follow this:

The ACLU stepped in and they won.

You mean they won the case for the Jewish students? Good to hear, and that's a time where we can all agree the ACLU did good work. Although you certainly shouldn't need the ACLU to tell you that policy was screwed up.

As to the original post, once you've got a dress code in place it's hard to sympathize with someone who breaks it. You know what you're getting into. (Not saying I agree with the dress code btw.) But I mean if someone who wears a catholic school uniform everyday for example shows up with a t-shirt with slogans on it, the school's going to punish them. It's the dress code the school has agreed upon, not the message on the t-shirt, that's the issue.

.... and incidentally the only high school Accord supports is the one where students are encouraged to roam the halls with M-16s. :mischief

Apples and oranges...

If they were to make an exception for these students, then it would be similar (although not nearly as bad, but along the same lines of different rules for different people), but in this one, to ban any religious necklace is banned except for one is bulls***...either allow all, or allow none

Too bad I wasn't comparing the two.

not sure I follow this:

The ACLU stepped in and they won.

You mean they won the case for the Jewish students? Good to hear, and that's a time where we can all agree the ACLU did good work. Although you certainly shouldn't need the ACLU to tell you that policy was screwed up.Well the Wiccan student(s) are the ones that brought it up and the ACLU worked on their behalf, but the changing of the rule helped the Jewish and Muslim students along with it.