What are you looking forward to in 2007?

I'm a little uneasy about locking in Willis with a long term contract.

And to get Cabrera for 7/$80 million would be a steal.

To get Cabrera for 7/$80 million would be a steal and I think this offseason may be our last chance to get him to sign a deal like that. If we let him go to arbitration this offseason, he will set a new first year arbitration salary record.

for the life of me...what is wrong with you people? matt treanor is one of the best back-ups in the league...he handles the staff well, throws runners out at a high rate and gets a couple hits here and there...he is the PERFECT backup...this year, we have had one of the best catching tandems in the league if you look across the board, offensively and defensively...and under girardi's watchful eye(because i highly expect him to stay), they will only get better...yeah...and i still got a jones for getting adam stern, i think he would be great here, very good speed, good defense, leadoff type guy...and a major overhaul of the pen again...and as someone living in mass...i forbid keith foulke ever wearing the black and teal...EVER...bad knee and he throws as hard as lo duca...which...is not good...i think resop and petit can do solid in the pen and i actually wouldnt mind having moehler back as a spot starter and mop up duty...other than that...lets find cheap bullpen help who can keep the ball in the park...get a new stadium(prays) and sign miggy long term this off season...dontrelle...i can wait on...give him another year deal and just hope we dont see too many sophmore slumps...get all that done and we are in playoffs next year

Honestly, this team faces so few holes compared to most going into the off-season it shouldn't be hard to accomplish what we have to do.

1. Shore up the bullpen with a few proven vets, not the JoBo and Herges Spring Training Invitee kind. The idea brought up earlier about bringing in Wood as a closer really entices me...

2. Sign a veteran centerfielder that can step into the middle of the order, or the two-spot immediately. DO NOT trade for a CF prospect. If we want to compete, this has to be a position that is virtually guaranteed production, not one that we're crossing our fingers on.

3. Re-sign Wes Helms. God for bid Cabrera goes down, he has the pop to produce decent numbers every day. Not to mention he has been a fantastic platoon with Jacobs, not to mention an outstanding pinch-hitter.

4. Keep Cody Ross and keep Alfredo Amezega. Ross is exactly what we have been looking for from Aguila the last few years, and now we've finally got it for a very good price. Amezega is more valuable to this team than most of you believe. He's our Damien Easely without power and WITH speed/defense.

5. Re-sign Olivo! And Treanor is a servicable back-up, but invite a vet to camp that might be able to earn the spot, or at least push Matt.

2. Sign a veteran centerfielder that can step into the middle of the order, or the two-spot immediately. DO NOT trade for a CF prospect. If we want to compete, this has to be a position that is virtually guaranteed production, not one that we're crossing our fingers on.

CF FA's are pretty dicey this off-season with the best being Hunter:

Mike Cameron

Jim Edmonds

Darin Erstad

Steve Finley

Torii Hunter

Kenny Lofton

Gary Matthews Jr.

Quinton McCracken

Juan Pierre

Cameron, Edmonds, Erstad, Hunter, Lofton, Mathews Jr., or Pierre would be great fits for this team, both offensively and defensively.

And you forgot Andruw Jones, who IMO ecplises Hunter as the best available CF. And any team could always move Soriano to CF, so he could also be considered as the top CF'er available.

change of ownership

:thumbdown

change of manager

why the thumb down?... he sucks hard

That's probably a great idea. Firing the guy that is most likely to win the Manager of the Year award will take everyone's attention off our miserable attendance records and give them something else to laugh at us about instead. Then everyone with all the excuses of why they don't go to the games can triumphantly stand up in front of their TVs and proclaim to anyone who will listen that it is indeed not their fault our attendance was so bad. Or they can slink a little further under their blankets and hope no one brings up the numbers again for a long time.

Nah. We will just be pointed to, laughed at, and have every one wondering how a MLB franchise ever got to South Florida in the first place.

Even Rich and Tommy took a great little jab at Loria during the telecast when Rich mentioned that the bullpen had to be a top priority for next year. Tommy agreed and said if you?re going to build a team around this talented starting pitching you absolutely need to give them some help. He made an analogy of buying a great house and filling it with junk.

Yes, definitely a ballpark deal firmly in place would be a dream come true!

I didn't take that as a "great little jab" on Loria at all. Just an observation on where our weak points are. I'm quite sure the front office sees that we need a CFer and pen help and I am willing to bet they go out and try to get just that. At the right price of course.

Four most important things, in order -

1. Stadium deal. Make it happen. I'd love a change of ownership, but I don't see it happening.

2. Sign Cabrera long term to a Pujols like deal. He is a special, hall of fame player, and if we could just keep one player around long term, it would make all the difference in the world. I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 8 years, 110 million. A bargain.

3. Get a young CF. We have the chips to go out and snag one from another team. Options include - Chris Young, Carl Crawford, Lasting Milledge, etc. Above average defense is a must.

4. Build a bullpen. Don't rely on numbers when building the BP, rely on finding guys with great stuff. We are in a pitchers ballpark, take advantage of that.

5. Giradi is not important. Get another young manager, not a retread and keep Perry Hill. We will be fine without Joe. The difference between a great and good manager is at best maybe 3 games. Joe is not a great manager. If we keep him, great, if he leaves its not that big of a deal.

1. Stadium

2. Willis Contract

3. Cabera Contract

4. Legitimate CF option (rookie OK if he's a real prospect and not a known loser)

5. Legitimate closer

6. Additional bullpen arm

If Giradi does go, we need to get a guy with player development experience. Not somebody who is tinkering with success. If I hear any more about trying to make a future power/speed player like Hanley bunt more often, I am going to lose it! Same with trying to make a walk-machine like Hermida more aggressive.

-- an owner who can afford a stadium

-- a finalized downtown stadium deal

-- two or more reliable veteran relievers

-- a reliable CF

-- a good 4th OF as insurance in case Jeremy will be what he is now

-- no more Moehler, Reggie and Treanor

-- Olivo, Helms & Alfredo in the roster

-- Juan Pierre anywhere but here

Also looking forward to see how the rookies develop. I'm sure some will improve but others will regress.

Even Rich and Tommy took a great little jab at Loria during the telecast when Rich mentioned that the bullpen had to be a top priority for next year. Tommy agreed and said if you?re going to build a team around this talented starting pitching you absolutely need to give them some help. He made an analogy of buying a great house and filling it with junk.

I didn't take that as a "great little jab" on Loria at all. Just an observation on where our weak points are. I'm quite sure the front office sees that we need a CFer and pen help and I am willing to bet they go out and try to get just that. At the right price of course.

I guess it's open to interpretation but Loria is the one who "bought the house" and there was clearly frustration in Tommy's voice. He then added something about going ahead and springing for nice furniture and the plasma TV. If it was just an observation he could have worded it differently such as "they'll have to see who's available in the offseason", or something to that effect. In any case, that's the way I heard it.

I don't see why the Marlins need a veteran CF especially since they are trying to keep the budget at a minimum. Most economical CF options will contribute more to the team than an empty overpriced player like Juan Pierre. I won't be surprised if Pierre is back and I will vomit when it happens.

In hindsight they should have traded the overrated Borowski for a CF prospect when they had the chance.

Because we need someone to step into CF that is going to produce, and we know he's going to produce. We cannot take a chance on another prospect. If we trade for a youngster and throw him out there, it's like flipping a coin.

3. Get a young CF. We have the chips to go out and snag one from another team. Options include - Chris Young, Carl Crawford, Lasting Milledge

Anyone have any idea what we would have to give up for one of these guys? I dont want to give up too much.

We can afford it, and we will be giving up some of our players for a legit CFer of the future

While what Hutton said is true, he went way overboard in that comment. He refered to the situation as "you buy a new mansion, and then fill it with garage sale furniture" Referring to the bullpen as garage sale furniture is not going to make him any friends on the team. True it is, but he needs to be politically correct in his situation.

As for next season........we all mainly agree on what's needed player-wise.

The main thing is to lock up a ballpark deal, which I hope to see by opening day, but it may take a month or 2 longer so that Loria can definitely collect on that deal he made with MLB.

3. Get a young CF. We have the chips to go out and snag one from another team. Options include - Chris Young, Carl Crawford, Lasting Milledge

Anyone have any idea what we would have to give up for one of these guys? I dont want to give up too much.

Chris Young - 1 of Anibal, Olsen, or JJ.

Carl Crawford - Dontrelle or 1 or Anibal, Olsen, JJ, plus another prospect like a Pinto or something along those lines.

Milledge - Dontrelle. We could probably get somebody else back from the Mets though too.

It's giving up alot, but we need to make it happen.

Carl Crawford - Dontrelle or 1 or Anibal, Olsen, JJ, plus another prospect like a Pinto or something along those lines.

Milledge - Dontrelle. We could probably get somebody else back from the Mets though too.

Crawford is the guy I really want... I would trade Dontrelle and Petit, Pinto, or Nolasco for Crawford and Edwin Jackson...

I guess it's open to interpretation but Loria is the one who "bought the house" and there was clearly frustration in Tommy's voice. He then added something about going ahead and springing for nice furniture and the plasma TV. If it was just an observation he could have worded it differently such as "they'll have to see who's available in the offseason", or something to that effect. In any case, that's the way I heard it.

I can definetly see how it is being taken that way. But some of the pen problems are the position players. These rookies are just tired from the long season and the pressure. And it is glaringly showing. For instance I don't blame the pen for that 10th inning loss in Atlanta. How many outs did Josh, Reggie, and Hanley give them?? If Tommy was taking a jab then I think he is totally wrong for doing so. He sure hasn't been complaining all year while constantly talking up this bunch of rookies. Maybe he's just frustrated as well and overestimating the durablilty of a bunch of kids in a situation they have never been in before.

I can definetly see how it is being taken that way. But some of the pen problems are the position players. These rookies are just tired from the long season and the pressure. And it is glaringly showing. For instance I don't blame the pen for that 10th inning loss in Atlanta. How many outs did Josh, Reggie, and Hanley give them?? If Tommy was taking a jab then I think he is totally wrong for doing so. He sure hasn't been complaining all year while constantly talking up this bunch of rookies. Maybe he's just frustrated as well and overestimating the durablilty of a bunch of kids in a situation they have never been in before.

I would agree with assessment....Hutton says alot of things he shouldn't and that does not bode well with Loria you can bet....Everyone is tired....there has been alot of built up pressure on this team to secure the wild card slot and it has not happened....now they have to play respectable ball and finish on a high note....

Crap. I want to keep them. I would give up Petit, Pinto and a few others before any of our Starting Pitchers. Maybe somehow we can convice them of wanting Reggie and Vargas.

While what Hutton said is true, he went way overboard in that comment. He refered to the situation as "you buy a new mansion, and then fill it with garage sale furniture" Referring to the bullpen as garage sale furniture is not going to make him any friends on the team. True it is, but he needs to be politically correct in his situation.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I heard it. You have to think the relievers were offended by the remarks. He spoke out in frustration and I'm sure if he had paused to measure his words he would not have said that. At the very least he would have sent the same message in a much more delicate manner without insulting the guys. IMO, they were not really the source of his frustration/anger at that moment nor were his words directly aimed at them but what flew out of his mouth was unnecessarily harsh.