D-Train may skip final start

wanks1212

PHILADELPHIA -- Aware they are on the brink of elimination from the National League Wild Card race, the Marlins are confronted with some decisions about how to set up their rotation for the final week. The organization will get together to see how they use ace Dontrelle Willis.

The D-Train is set to start on Tuesday in the series opener at home against the Reds. Should the Marlins be mathematically eliminated on that day, there is a chance Willis will be shut down following that game.

Otherwise, Willis is in line to start the season finale next Sunday against the Phillies. That game may end up having Wild Card implications regarding Philadelphia.

Willis has already started 32 games, and he's thrown 217 innings. In Spring Training, he got off to an earlier start because he pitched for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic.

"My guess is he's going to want the ball," manager Joe Girardi said of Willis starting the last game. "We'll see how he feels and have a long discussion about it."

In the likelihood that the Marlins won't be playing for a postseason berth, the club probably will go with some less-tested rookies in next weekend's series with the Phillies.

As of now, the only starters committed are for the Reds series. After Willis on Tuesday, Anibal Sanchez and Ricky Nolasco are slated for Wednesday and Thursday, respectively.

Veteran Brian Moehler and Scott Olsen are on course to pitch on Friday and Saturday, should the rotation not change.

If the games don't mean anything for Florida, there is a good chance a rookie or two working out of the bullpen now could start against the Phillies. Yusmeiro Petit, Renyel Pinto and Jose Garcia are the likely choices to be in line for last-game starts.

"I won't jeopardize our health," Girardi said. "I will do everything I can to win those games because I owe that to baseball. But I won't jeopardize somebody's health. We will take the same stance that we've taken all year."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...sp&c_id=mlb

Not a bad idea to shut him down and give one of the kids a look in the last game. Personally I'd like to see oen of Pinto/Petit/Garcia also get a start in the place of Moehler.

PHILADELPHIA -- Aware they are on the brink of elimination from the National League Wild Card race, the Marlins are confronted with some decisions about how to set up their rotation for the final week. The organization will get together to see how they use ace Dontrelle Willis.

The D-Train is set to start on Tuesday in the series opener at home against the Reds. Should the Marlins be mathematically eliminated on that day, there is a chance Willis will be shut down following that game.

Otherwise, Willis is in line to start the season finale next Sunday against the Phillies. That game may end up having Wild Card implications regarding Philadelphia.

Willis has already started 32 games, and he's thrown 217 innings. In Spring Training, he got off to an earlier start because he pitched for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic.

"My guess is he's going to want the ball," manager Joe Girardi said of Willis starting the last game. "We'll see how he feels and have a long discussion about it."

In the likelihood that the Marlins won't be playing for a postseason berth, the club probably will go with some less-tested rookies in next weekend's series with the Phillies.

As of now, the only starters committed are for the Reds series. After Willis on Tuesday, Anibal Sanchez and Ricky Nolasco are slated for Wednesday and Thursday, respectively.

Veteran Brian Moehler and Scott Olsen are on course to pitch on Friday and Saturday, should the rotation not change.

If the games don't mean anything for Florida, there is a good chance a rookie or two working out of the bullpen now could start against the Phillies. Yusmeiro Petit, Renyel Pinto and Jose Garcia are the likely choices to be in line for last-game starts.

"I won't jeopardize our health," Girardi said. "I will do everything I can to win those games because I owe that to baseball. But I won't jeopardize somebody's health. We will take the same stance that we've taken all year."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...sp&c_id=mlb

Not a bad idea to shut him down and give one of the kids a look in the last game. Personally I'd like to see oen of Pinto/Petit/Garcia also get a start in the place of Moehler.

I hope they do go through with this plan to skip Dontrelle's final start. He deserves the rest after all of the innings he has racked up. Olsen probably should both be pulled from the rotation right now. I think after today's game it is obvious he is out of gas. Anibal should probably be pulled at this point as well, though he probably will have one more start.

Give Petit the call. He deserves it after he's been used so poorly this year.

And give Pinto Moehler's next start. Moehler doesn't deserve the ball ever again in a Marlin uniform.

Give Petit the call. He deserves it after he's been used so poorly this year.

And give Pinto Moehler's next start. Moehler doesn't deserve the ball ever again in a Marlin uniform.

In what way has Petit been used so poorly this year?

I think he is aluding to the fact that when Petit was called up, he was rarely ever used