Grade Time

FreshFish

Grade the different areas of the 2006 Marlins (A, B, C, D, F), + and - can be used (comment as needed)

1) Ownership (Loria)

2) Leadership (Samson)

3) GM (Beinfest/Hill/Scouting)

4) Skipper (Girardi)

5) Hitting Coach

6) Pitching Coach

7) 3rd Base Coach

8) Marketing Dept

9) Tix Holder Account Dept

10) Stadium

11) Fans

1) Ownership (Loria) - D

2) Leadership (Samson) - F

3) GM (Beinfest/Hill/Scouting) - A

4) Skipper (Girardi) - D-

5) Hitting Coach - A

6) Pitching Coach - A

7) 3rd Base Coach - B

8) Marketing Dept - F

9) Tix Holder Account Dept - what?

10) Stadium - B

11) Fans - B (The fans came out to games... there just aren't a lot of fans)

1) Ownership (Loria)

F, horrible job managing problems with Girardi and in general. not much leadership shown on the stadium front, or anything else.. Gutted the team too deep, while misleading season ticket holders.

2) Leadership (Samson)

C-, a slightly below average job. not much can be said, however I feel he is doing better on handling the stadium situation

A+, putting a solid product on the field with a historicaly low payroll. Got a bit lucky, but who doesn't need luck from time to time?

4) Skipper (Girardi)

B-, solid job getting the team motivated and ready to play. Good job handling the club house and keeping the team focused. I really loved when he said our goal is to win the WS, and if we don't do it we have failed.

I have issue with his in game management and not being able to work with the FO (especially Beinfest).

5) Hitting Coach

A

6) Pitching Coach

A

7) 3rd Base Coach

A

8) Marketing Dept

F

N.A - did not have Season Tix this year

10) Stadium

C+, the new and improved DS is not soo bad. still bad, but could be worse

11) Fans

C-

I'm going to have to disagree about the leadership. I'm no fan of Samson. I'm not going to say he's responsible for it either. But whoever rallied the troops and had the front office dedicate themselves to the restructuring deserves major kudos. You can't get all your scouts, located across the world and guided by different departments within the front office, out fast enough and with the resources they need and your coaches in support without some great planning and even greater administration.

I'm going to have to disagree about the leadership. I'm no fan of Samson. I'm not going to say he's responsible for it either. But whoever rallied the troops and had the front office dedicate themselves to the restructuring deserves major kudos. You can't get all your scouts, located across the world and guided by different departments within the front office, out fast enough and with the resources they need and your coaches in support without some great planning and even greater administration.

I guess we can only see what we see as outsiders. I think Beinfest is the one that rallied the troop, but I could be wrong

1) Ownership (Loria)- C+

2) Leadership (Samson)- F

3) GM (Beinfest/Hill/Scouting)- A+

4) Skipper (Girardi)- C-

5) Hitting Coach- A

6) Pitching Coach- A+

7) 3rd Base Coach- A+ (didn't notice him=good thing)

8) Marketing Dept- B (started slow but picked it up with the who would have thought ads)

9) Tix Holder Account Dept- n/a

10) Stadium- F

11) Fans- C

I guess we can only see what we see as outsiders. I think Beinfest is the one that rallied the troop, but I could be wrong

No way that could have been possible along with his other duties. Besides as I understand the scouting directors and player development staff operate more along side than directly under the GM.

1) Ownership (Loria)--D-

Didn't do much right. From Girardi to cutting payroll to not yet securing a stadium.

2) Leadership (Samson)--F

Anytime I hear this man talk it makes me sick.

3) GM (Beinfest/Hill/Scouting) B+

Did a great job bringing in the talent needed to be a competitive team. It still remains to be seen how some of his other trades from the past offseason worked out. So far so good. I really wish they'd draft some quality bats though. Looking through Ramp's minor league assessment the lack of depth or any quality to speak of is embarrassing.

4) Skipper (Girardi) B-

He sucks as a talent evaluator and his in game decisions are baffling. But you have to give him credit for how well this team played this year

5) Hitting Coach B

I don't really know how much impact he had, but in general this offense was impressive this year. Outside of Hermida there weren't too many prolonged slumps.

6) Pitching Coach A-

Handled the young pitchers amazingly. Seemingly got Dontrelle out of his early struggles and mechanical problems. He did a great job.

7) 3rd Base Coach B+

Don't really know here. Like it was said before. If we didn't notice him he was doing his job. Although there were a bunch of occasions this year that players ran through the stop sign and scored easily. Cabs did it a few times

8) Marketing Dept D

Anytime you use basically the same slogan two years in a row something is wrong. They could do a much much better job.

9) Tix Holder Account Dept--N/A

10) Stadium--N/A...Didn't make it out to any games in South Florida this year.

11) Fans-In general for South Florida fans: D...the 10,000 that were out there day in and day out I'd give an A

South Florida fans suck.(Hell when the Phins are getting 20,000 noshows after starting 0-2, that's a good indicator) Not much else to it.The product this year was a thousand times better than the last two years IMO, but the general public only like winners.

1) Ownership (Loria)

F- Hands down the only thing that held 2006 back from being the Marlins year. No firesale and we cake walk to the playoffs. Add payroll in June/July/August and we don't have bullpen implosion after implosion

2) Leadership (Samson)

B- Have we heard from him lately? Out of sight (thankfully) out of mind.

A- Still can't get over the whole draft day shake down, or the Castillo for nothing trade, bt we either did our homework or got lucky (probably more of the latter, but whatever) on a few guys from this offseason. Still must remember, the only HUGE contributor this season that came from the fire sale is Hanley, with an honorable mention to Uggla and Sanchez. The rotation was waiting in the minors, so was Hammer.

4) Skipper (Girardi)

B+ Didn't always put us in the best position to win, but wasn't given the best tools to win with, either.

5) Hitting Coach

B Have we even heard Jim Pressly's name mentioned much?

6) Pitching Coach

B+ We knew the talent was there with these guys, and Wiley seemed to get more out of Dontrelle, but still, he's kept Olsen healthy and helped Anibal and Johnson stay consistent.

7) 3rd Base Coach

B+ Anyone's an upgrade over Jeff "stop sign" Cox

8) Marketing Dept

F It took them until September to promote the team around players. Where were they with targeted marketing in April, May, June and July? Plus, "get hooked up"? Come on, you try that in a marketing class and the teacher fails you.

D I like my rep, but still hate the department. No true "incentives" to be a season ticket holder when good seats are always available. Teams that don't need your business give much better support than a team that should be begging for season ticket sales.

10) Stadium

B+ Stadium doesn't make it rain or get hot, it's in a convenient location, and unless you're in the terrace box offers a solid place to see a ballgame. There's nothing wrong with it until the Dolphins turn the field into mush.

11) Fans

On the whole F-. I tried chanting MVP for Miggy and was met with "Carlos Beltran?" In August and against the Brewers. That, and when I hear people look down at the bullpen to see a right handed hispanic pitcher warming up and say "oh, I think that's Dontrelle Willis getting ready" I just want to kill them, and myself.

Hardcore fans are hardcore fans, but seriously, South Florida sucks.

1) Ownership (Loria)

F- Hands down the only thing that held 2006 back from being the Marlins year. No firesale and we cake walk to the playoffs. Add payroll in June/July/August and we don't have bullpen implosion after implosion

2) Leadership (Samson)

A- Still can't get over the whole draft day shake down, or the Castillo for nothing trade, bt we either did our homework or got lucky (probably more of the latter, but whatever) on a few guys from this offseason. Still must remember, the only HUGE contributor this season that came from the fire sale is Hanley, with an honorable mention to Uggla and Sanchez. The rotation was waiting in the minors, so was Hammer.

4) Skipper (Girardi)

B+ Didn't always put us in the best position to win, but wasn't given the best tools to win with, either.

5) Hitting Coach

6) Pitching Coach

B+ We knew the talent was there with these guys, and Wiley seemed to get more out of Dontrelle, but still, he's kept Olsen healthy and helped Anibal and Johnson stay consistent.

7) 3rd Base Coach

8) Marketing Dept

F It took them until September to promote the team around players. Where were they with targeted marketing in April, May, June and July? Plus, "get hooked up"? Come on, you try that in a marketing class and the teacher fails you.

D I like my rep, but still hate the department. No true "incentives" to be a season ticket holder when good seats are always available. Teams that don't need your business give much better support than a team that should be begging for season ticket sales.

10) Stadium

B+ Stadium doesn't make it rain or get hot, it's in a convenient location, and unless you're in the terrace box offers a solid place to see a ballgame. There's nothing wrong with it until the Dolphins turn the field into mush.

11) Fans

On the whole F-. I tried chanting MVP for Miggy and was met with "Carlos Beltran?" In August and against the Brewers. That, and when I hear people look down at the bullpen to see a right handed hispanic pitcher warming up and say "oh, I think that's Dontrelle Willis getting ready" I just want to kill them, and myself.

I gotta agree completly,

1. at Marlin games you can't get any cheers started because either nobody will say anything..or youll hear a Mets chant(doesnt matter who we're playing)

2. at Dolphin games, there are some hardcore fans, but most people don't give 2 shits unless we recreate the undefeated season. I had friends that claimed to be diehard fans, yet we got kicked out because they were upstairs smoking weed during the 4th quarter of a tight Dolphin-Jets game(you know what....slowly I have started not to blame them for that one :D )

3. at Heat games.... On the screen at the top of the AAA it says bonus when either team is in penalty(get free throws for any foul) and I hear people all the time, no joke, asking if bonus means that we get extra points if we score.

:thumbdown , There are some great diehard fans of each team...but South Florida does suck.

I agree with you that whoever had a hand in the restructuring and the scouting did a wonderful job......but my feeling is that Samson not only wasn't the leader(president), but I doubt he had anything more than a minor part. And that minor part would have been something delegated to him by someone(Beinfest?) else. I think that Samson is just a figure-head. He can't be blamed or praised for anything.

Grade the different areas of the 2006 Marlins (A, B, C, D, F), + and - can be used (comment as needed)

1) Ownership (Loria)

2) Leadership (Samson)

4) Skipper (Girardi)

5) Hitting Coach

6) Pitching Coach

7) 3rd Base Coach

8) Marketing Dept

10) Stadium

11) Fans

1) C

2) F

3) A

4) B

5) C

6) A

7) C

8) C

9) N/A

10) F

11) D

1) Ownership (Loria): D

2) Leadership (Samson): C

3) GM (Beinfest/Hill/Scouting): A+. Cant say enough about what a great job they did

4) Skipper (Girardi): C+

5) Hitting Coach: B+. We havent heard much about him, and thats a good thing

6) Pitching Coach: A-

7) 3rd Base Coach: B+

8) Marketing Dept: D

9) Tix Holder Account Dept: D-

10) Stadium: D-

11) Fans: F-, but that isnt enough to express how much South Florida sports fans suck

1) Ownership (Loria): D-

2) Leadership (Samson): D-

3) GM (Beinfest/Hill/Scouting): B+

4) Skipper (Girardi): C+

5) Hitting Coach: B

6) Pitching Coach: C+

7) 3rd Base Coach: B

8) Marketing Dept: D+

9) Tix Holder Account Dept: C

10) Stadium- not sure what you mean but I guess a D+

11) Fans: F

1) Ownership (Loria) F-

2) Leadership (Samson) F- (go run your marathon)

3) GM (Beinfest/Hill/Scouting) A+ (Hill is a seperate catagory, amazing in himself...Bienfest is God!)

4) Skipper (Girardi) A+

5) Hitting Coach A (Uggla, Hanley, Hammer...)

6) Pitching Coach A+ (JJ, Olsen, Nolasco, Anibal...)

7) 3rd Base Coach A (BOBBY MEECHEM :notworthy )

8) Marketing Dept F (Get hooked DOWN)

9) Tix Holder Account Dept (abstain)

10) Stadium A+ (its all I know! When I don't go there, I go to Shea and thats Shea, so I'll take DS)

11) Fans A+ (our diehards are the best!)

1) Ownership (Loria)

2) Leadership (Samson)

4) Skipper (Girardi)

5) Hitting Coach

6) Pitching Coach

7) 3rd Base Coach

8) Marketing Dept

F It took them until September to promote the team around players. Where were they with targeted marketing in April, May, June and July? Plus, "get hooked up"? Come on, you try that in a marketing class and the teacher fails you

Would have to agree with this one. Even the give-aways left alot to be desired. The floppy hat looks like someone in the marketing department is a big time FSU fan. What the heck is up with that scratch off Saturday thing??? The only TV ads I saw all year were during the games.

9) Tix Holder Account Dep

Our rep left during the season to work for The U. Left us pretty much out in the cold. But once we raised a stink we got a new rep. Seems to be a pretty good guy. I like that this year they are taking care of the full season ticket holders first in regards to seating. Can't tell you how ticked it makes me to be told we couldn't have Row 1 because those seats are taken by week end warriors (no offence to you guys BTW) and during the week there was never anyone in those seats.

10) Stadium

11) Fans