The one thing I want to know the most about Gonzalez

bollostar

So far I've heard nothing but good things about our new skipper, but then again, that's always the case when someone is hired for his first managerial job. It's only after a guy actually starts working that people start talking about his faults. And one thing that worries me is that nobody (to my knowledge, anyway) has talked about his disciplinary habits.

We all know that Joe was a big disciplinarian. To my belief, that was a big reason why he was so successful with a young club. Actually, I think discipline works with clubs of all ages, but its importance is enhanced when you have to manage kids.

I'm having my doubts about Gonzalez. He seems to be too much of a nice guy. It doesn't help that he's from the John Boles school. Think back to the Scott Olsen incident. Does Gonzalez have the balls to take an absent minded player and get him on track? I'm not saying that Gonzalez has to be as rough as Joey Pitbull was, but does he have the balls to be the man in charge?

They say Gonzalez is a pretty smart guy. Maybe he'll manage games better than Girardi (that was my only complaint with him, and a big one it was, though he did get better as the season went along). But Girardi's success was more closely tied with the attitude he instilled on the team. Hopefully Gonzalez has some of that as well.

Having your doubts about a guy who has been a 3 time minor league manager of the year and has a team full of minor leaguers before he even gets a chance is pretty silly if you ask me!

then again, a bunch of us dislike a probably NL Manager of the Year

All I'm saying is, I'm interested in knowing how Gonzalez will react once one of the young guys starts drinking too much of his own kool aid.

Having your doubts about a guy who has been a 3 time minor league manager of the year and has a team full of minor leaguers before he even gets a chance is pretty silly if you ask me!

How many guys have won the Manager of the Year title and then gone on to prove they stink? Seems to happen all the time.

From what I've heard Gonzalez prefers to give his players time outs rather than spanking them.

Hmm. This is the closest thing to the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks.

He doesn't need to be, he'll fit in just like one of the guys.

Being liked and being respected is not exactly the same thing. Fitting in like one of the guys doesn't mean they'll listen to you. Respect makes people listen. I don't condone gaining respect through fear (that's not real respect), but you have to have a certain toughness.

I, personally, hate discipline coaches. With young kids I think you need someone that can give direction and leadership, but also someone that can relate to them and be able to joke around, ect. Joe was young, but he wasn't relateable. His personality mimicks one of a stubborn 80-year-old World War II vet.

Fredi Gonzalez isn't a control freak who yells at his boss. This is his dream job. This wasn't Girardi's dream job. Good riddance Joe.