Heavy Marlins talk on ESPN right now.

Like somebody has said, it just makes too much sense.

I can honestly see this happening. With all of the heat Loria is getting from the league, the fans, ect. about not spending his free money, he might feel pressured into making a move, and what better move to make than getting arguably the best hitter in the history of the game? Not to mention, the move would have its upside as well. I guarantee Loria would make back every dime he spent on A-Rod, especially because of the 500 HR chase as someone said earlier.

GET IT DONE.

What heat has Loria gotten about not spending money? I have seen no calls in the press (local or national) for Loria to spend money on the team now that the season has wrapped up and they have proven they can be competitive and possibly make a playoff run next season if they add a quality CF and improve the bullpen.

I think that so many local sportswriters and national sportswrites/analysts/talking heads were proven wrong by this team that they were effectively chastened and I don't expect much criticism this offseason as a result. In many other baseball markets that contain sportswriters with some cojones and knowledge of their team (and actually care about their team), there would be daily articles on what Loria would do to address the team's obvious needs. But not here. It is Dolphins time and we are now going to be treated to the odd article on the backpage on Fredi's time as the manager of the Miracles and other nonsense until Spring Training rolls around.

I can honestly see this happening. With all of the heat Loria is getting from the league, the fans, ect. about not spending his free money, he might feel pressured into making a move, and what better move to make than getting arguably the best hitter in the history of the game? Not to mention, the move would have its upside as well. I guarantee Loria would make back every dime he spent on A-Rod, especially because of the 500 HR chase as someone said earlier.

GET IT DONE.

What heat has Loria gotten about not spending money? I have seen no calls in the press (local or national) for Loria to spend money on the team now that the season has wrapped up and they have proven they can be competitive and possibly make a playoff run next season if they add a quality CF and improve the bullpen.

I think that so many local sportswriters and national sportswrites/analysts/talking heads were proven wrong by this team that they were effectively chastened and I don't expect much criticism this offseason as a result. In many other baseball markets that contain sportswriters with some cojones and knowledge of their team (and actually care about their team), there would be daily articles on what Loria would do to address the team's obvious needs. But not here. It is Dolphins time and we are now going to be treated to the odd article on the backpage on Fredi's time as the manager of the Miracles and other nonsense until Spring Training rolls around.

Trust me, he's getting heat.

GET IT DONE.

Trust me, he's getting heat.

The other owners must be spitting nails when the hear Loria's name...it's their money he is pocketing shamelessly

I would enjoy this deal 100%. Not sure who said it earlier in this thread as I am too lazy to check back but Dontrelle is not a number 1 pitcher. I am a huge Train fan but you can't pass up on something like this. This really isn't far fetched as you know the Yankee's will be doing anything they can to aquire pitching in the offseason, and Dontrelle has to be in the top 2 for who they want.

The other owners must be spitting nails when the hear Loria's name...it's their money he is pocketing shamelessly

That very sentence you write is the only thing I like about Steinbrenner. He doesn't give a crap about revenue sharing. His ONLY problem to the practice is the clubs that pocket his money and not use the extra share to put a better product on the field. He's been pissed at the D-Rays for awhile, and I can't even imagine the steam that must come out of his head when asked about Loria's 2006 Marlins on a payroll level. If they keep salary in the teens or even low twenties next year, when the next closest club is still tens of millions away (Tampa $35, 2006), Loria is going to have a serious effing problem with the other owners and MLB if he's recieving twice his payroll, at a minimum, in revenue sharing, and still not making leeway on a new stadium.

"NEW YORK - Joe Torre will be back with the New York Yankees and it looks as though A-Rod will be, too.

General manager Brian Cashman said the team had no intention of trading Alex Rodriguez, who failed to drive in a run in the playoffs for the second straight year and was dropped to eighth in the batting order.

?I fully expect him to be here,? Cashman said Tuesday. ?We?re going to figure this thing out together.?

Earlier, Torre said he would return as manager for his 12th season.

Rodriguez, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, struggled during his third season with the Yankees and was booed throughout the year by fans. Cashman revealed that teams inquired about Rodriguez?s availability up until the July 31 deadline to make trades without waivers.

?The first one I got hit on was late May, I think, or early June and then it got real heavy in the deadline period,? Cashman said

Rodriguez, the reigning AL MVP, hit .290 with 35 homers and 121 RBIs, and his 24 errors were the most among AL third basemen. He went 1-for-14 (.071) in the first-round playoff loss to Detroit and is 4-for-41 (.098) with no RBIs in his last 12 postseason games."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this from the Yankees messageboard. It's an MSNBC article.

"NEW YORK - Joe Torre will be back with the New York Yankees and it looks as though A-Rod will be, too.

General manager Brian Cashman said the team had no intention of trading Alex Rodriguez, who failed to drive in a run in the playoffs for the second straight year and was dropped to eighth in the batting order.

"I fully expect him to be here," Cashman said Tuesday. "We're going to figure this thing out together."

Rodriguez, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, struggled during his third season with the Yankees and was booed throughout the year by fans. Cashman revealed that teams inquired about Rodriguez's availability up until the July 31 deadline to make trades without waivers.

"The first one I got hit on was late May, I think, or early June and then it got real heavy in the deadline period," Cashman said

Rodriguez, the reigning AL MVP, hit .290 with 35 homers and 121 RBIs, and his 24 errors were the most among AL third basemen. He went 1-for-14 (.071) in the first-round playoff loss to Detroit and is 4-for-41 (.098) with no RBIs in his last 12 postseason games."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already posted. It's an ESPN article.

i want zero part of this...we have enough young pitching to give us a braves type run at making the postseason every year and you want A-rod? he is as clutch at baseball as i am at curling...beinfest, if you ruin our minor league system for the most overrated player in baseball then i will surely fly down to miami and punch you in the face

i want zero part of this...we have enough young pitching to give us a braves type run at making the postseason every year and you want A-rod? he is as clutch at baseball as i am at curling...beinfest, if you ruin our minor league system for the most overrated player in baseball then i will surely fly down to miami and punch you in the face

Look at A-Rod's career numbers and please tell me if he is overrated.

He would probably be better in Florida than anywhere else he has played to date. He would flourish in Miami.

"I fully expect him to be here," Cashman said Tuesday. "We're going to figure this thing out together."

Rodriguez, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, struggled during his third season with the Yankees and was booed throughout the year by fans. Cashman revealed that teams inquired about Rodriguez's availability up until the July 31 deadline to make trades without waivers.

"The first one I got hit on was late May, I think, or early June and then it got real heavy in the deadline period," Cashman said

Thanks. now we can put this nonsense to rest

He would probably be better in Florida than anywhere else he has played to date. He would flourish in Miami.

i am lookin at his career numbers...and they arent dont get us a centerfielder and it would cost too much young pitching...and what does good pitching always do? beat good hitting? yeah...and what do we have a mountain of? good young pitching...lets not part with the pitching for what would essentially be a rental...give me a centerfielder, give me a bullpen and a let me hold that gold baby!!!

There are 5 months until the next opening day, so anything can happen....

:lol :lol :lol come on.... you know Cashman HAS TO say this

i am lookin at his career numbers...and they arent dont get us a centerfielder and it would cost too much young pitching...and what does good pitching always do? beat good hitting? yeah...and what do we have a mountain of? good young pitching...lets not part with the pitching for what would essentially be a rental...give me a centerfielder, give me a bullpen and a let me hold that gold baby!!!

your cf would be Hanley Ramirez, arguably just as good as anyone available.

:lol :lol :lol come on.... you know Cashman HAS TO say this

ESPN said right away it was smoke and mirrors. I believe it was Gammons and the crappy Mets GM that spoke about it.

love to see him in teal beating them out of philly so often that ryan howard's head spins around like a broken bobble head doll :)

But dreams are what the offseason are for (a quote from a cubs friend)

That is because thats when Cubs fans can be optimistic again until reality hits that they suck. :p

good one :) hehe I told him that the offseason is the only time the cubs are ever in first place :whistle

How is a guy who has played strictly infield and almost exclusively SS his entire professional career at every minor league level arguably as good as career CFs? Especially if the idea is to spend money, you could try a FA like Edmonds or Hunter. Not saying they are likely, but they would be Available per se, especially if we are willing to break out the same checkbook we would for A-Rod, and they are much better options than Hanley at CF.

How is a guy who has played strictly infield and almost exclusively SS his entire professional career at every minor league level arguably as good as career CFs? Especially if the idea is to spend money, you could try a FA like Edmonds or Hunter. Not saying they are likely, but they would be Available per se, especially if we are willing to break out the same checkbook we would for A-Rod, and they are much better options than Hanley at CF.

I just dont understand why you dont think he will be more than adequate out there

Hanley is a better offensive option than either of them, and Edmonds is way overrated in the field. I'd take Hanley+ARod for 18 million combined over Edmonds/Hunter+Hanley for 12-13 million. It's not even close, really.

well this is insane. My fear would be that Loria pulls another Delgado.

I'd hate to send away a lot of our young pitchers, but ARod's one of those rare players where EVERYTHING is on the table.

I disagree that 2006 was the real Dontrelle and that 2005 was just a mirage. I don't feel he's a #1 ace, but I think the real Dontrelle is somewhere between the '05 and '06 versions. Still talking about a terrific pitcher.