Hall of Famer Sandberg to manage Peoria Chiefs

MrAndMrsFish

CHICAGO ? (AP) ? Ryne Sandberg is bringing his Hall of Fame credentials back to the minor leagues.

The former Chicago Cubs second baseman was hired Tuesday as the manager of the team's Class A affiliate at Peoria of the Midwest League. It will be Sandberg's first managerial assignment and hopes it will lead to one in the majors.

"I haven't ridden a bus in quite a while. I'm totally up for it. It's all part of it, part of the fun,'' said

Sandberg, inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2005.

"I just look at it as a great opportunity to help the Cubs and work with their prospects. I will learn along the way and they will learn. And I think we will all have fun doing it and also win some games along the way.''

Sandberg has been working with the Cubs as a special instructor since 1999.

"For me, it's the start of what I need to do to prepare myself, prove myself that I could one day be a major league manager,'' he said. "I've been thinking, ?Wow, I could be contributing more, I want to contribute more, I want to be more a part of it, more a part of the game.' This is the first step in achieving it.''

Sandberg, 47, retired from the Cubs after the 1994 season, but then returned in 1996 for two seasons. He retired for good in 1997 after a 16-year major league career. A 10-time National League All-Star and nine-time Gold Glove winner, the second baseman was the National League's MVP in 1984.

The native of Spokane, Wash., started his major league career in 1981 with Philadelphia and was traded to the Cubs before the 1982 season. Sandberg finished his career with a .285 batting average, 282 home runs, 2,386 hits and 1,061 RBIs.

That is going to be one hell of a thrill for some of the Class A guys to have a hall of famer around as their manager....good for Sanberg to go back to riding the bus in the minor....

a kid that went to my school (sean gallagher) plays for the cheifs if he hasnt moved up already

He's moved up to Double-A, good looking prospect.

cool ya i remember looking at his stats a while back and they were pretty solid

....these are the cubs affiliates right?