Incoming Sec. of Defense makes grave mistake

Incoming Sec. of Defense makes grave mistake telling Senate panel Israel has nuclear weapons

Incoming U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates told a Senate committee on Thursday that Israel has nuclear weapons, and that this partially explains Iran's motiviation to acquire nuclear weapons.

"They are surrounded by powers with nuclear weapons - Pakistan to their east, the Russians to the north, the Israelis to the west and us in the Persian Gulf," he told the Senate committee during his confirmation hearing.

Though Israel is widely assumed to have a nuclear weapons arsenal, it has stuck to its policy of ambiguity on the subject, insisting against all the evidence that it will not be the first to introduce nuclear weapons into the Middle East. A retired Israeli general said Thursday Israel is no longer trying to convince anyone that it has no nuclear arsenal.

Israeli officials traditionally do not respond to statements like the one Gates made, and true to form, government spokeswoman Miri Eisin told The Associated Press, "there is no direct Israeli comment."

Experts played down the importance of Gates' "outing" of the Israeli nuclear weapons program. Defense analyst Shlomo Brom, a retired Israel Defense Forces general who was once in charge of strategic planning for the military, said similar statements came out of Washington during the first Gulf War in 1991 and did not lead to a change in Israeli policy. "This is nothing really new," he said. "It doesn't change anything."

What has changed over the years is the perception of Israel's nuclear capabilities. In 1986, Mordechai Vanunu, a former technician at Israel's main nuclear reactor, gave pictures and documents to the London Sunday Times that led experts to conclude that Israel has a sizable nuclear weapons arsenal, ranking it sixth in the world. Vanunu served an 18-year prison term for his disclosures.

The pictures and other evidence put Israel's official policy in a new light. "The fact is that for a long time, Israel's policy of ambiguity has been not a matter of people thinking we don't have any [nuclear weapons], just that Israel doesn't admit it," Brom said.

Even so, Israel has consistently maintained its policy of ambiguity. Analyst Yossi Alpher said it allows Israel's neighbors "to assume that even if Israel had nuclear weapons, this was not a threat to them," and therefore it should not be changed. However, Alpher added, "it's very possible that if and when Iran goes nuclear in the military sense, Israel will have to consider ending its policy of ambiguity. Then it won't be the first."

At a news conference in Tel Aviv on Thursday, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert responded to Gates' explanation of Iranian motives for acquiring nuclear weapons.

"I don't think anyone in the U.S. thinks there is justification for Iran's achieving nuclear [weapons] capability," he said, without referring to Gates' reference to Israel's nuclear potential.

Olmert added, "We are not indifferent, cannot be indifferent, and won't be indifferent to efforts that appear serious to us, to develop capabilities that could be used as a springboard to build a [nuclear] bomb."

Gates told the Senate committee that the U.S. could not guarantee that if Iran acquires a nuclear weapon, it would not attack Israel with it. "I don't think that anybody can provide that assurance," he said.

_______

I don't now if I would call that a 'grave mistake,' I think we all already had a good clue that Israel has nukes. Maybe this will scare Iran and Syria a bit.

israel had nukes roughly about 5 minutes after we did...that is all that needs to be said...

We dropped Little Boy in August of 1945.

Israel became an independent nation in 1947.

So giving you the benefit of the doubt, you were off by 16 months.

well yeah...there was alot of post war stuff going on, the US had to get its share of berlin and bring baseball to japan before it could go about setting up the country that will end the world

israel had nukes roughly about 5 minutes after we did...that is all that needs to be said...

Hey, did it ever occur to you that he was using that as a figure of speech? I bet if you were walking outside with him in the rain and he said it was raining cats and dogs, you'd correct him and say rain is made of water. He clearly didnt' mean 5 minutes and any person who took High School History knows Israel wasn't founded until after World War II. Israel was one of the first nations after the United States to get Nuclear Weapons and he was merely saying that the fact that Israel has Nukes shouldn't all of the sudden be a huge issue since they've had them for over half a century. Don't worry though, thanks to people like you guys, I'm sure he'll make sure to only speak literally in the future.

well yeah...there was alot of post war stuff going on, the US had to get its share of berlin and bring baseball to japan before it could go about setting up the country that will end the world

There you go again.

For the record Baseball was in Japan in the late 1800s. Its tradition of baseball is almost as old as ours is.

I don't now if I would call that a 'grave mistake,' I think we all already had a good clue that Israel has nukes. Maybe this will scare Iran and Syria a bit.

- They have NUKES?!?!?!?!

- OMGWTF

- OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

LOL, post of the year! :notworthy :notworthy