Rocco, Denorfia and Sullivan news.

Hollyberry

This is from the Sun-Sent. I had so summarize it because I could not find this on the site.

• Marlins made a push for Rocco but the D-Rays wanted more than Olsen in return (Two members of our rotation.
  • ON SECOND THOUGHT: Platoon of Chris Denorfia (Strong Defense) and Cory Sullivan (Speed). Interesting?

Thoughts? I am suprised the the Marlins were going to part with Olsen. I thought he was "untouchable"

This is from the Sun-Sent. I had so summarize it because I could not find this on the site.

• Marlins made a push for Rocco but the D-Rays wanted more than Olsen in return (Two members of our rotation.
  • ON SECOND THOUGHT: Platoon of Chris Denorfia (Strong Defense) and Cory Sullivan (Speed). Interesting?

Thoughts? I am suprised the the Marlins were going to part with Olsen. I thought he was "untouchable"

It's Mike Berardino so first you have to consider the source.

Mike has a way of twisting a phrase to match his purposes so whether Beinfest was offering in the hypothetical in response to a D'Rays demand or there's some truth to it (it was a larger trade with multiple players coming back, not just Baldelli) we'll never know. And the Devil Rays are under pressure in their own media about why they can't get a Baldelli deal done so I assume this came from Tampa.

What makes less sense is his contention that that Sullivan and Denorfia, two guys who I like but without the speed to play a huge centerfield like ours are the way to go in 2007. If you investigate their splits, even though one is a lefty and the other righty, neither hits righties particularly well which one would think (one hitting righties, one lefties) would be the core reason for such a platoon. Neither steals bases. Neither has any power. Neither gets on base (OBP) at a particularly great rate (Denorfia.356, Sullivan .321). A couple of good young players and that's it. Not worth sacrificing two roster spots for unless you acquire them for minor prospects, and since both now have major league experience, that just plain isn't doing to happen.

The Marlins would like to snag David Murphy from Boston to play center field, but the teams have not yet agreed on the pitcher in return.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2692259

How about we send Messenger over :mischief . Thanks for posting this.

God, I hope not. He has yet to succeed at any level and his defense (as calculated by minorleaguesplits.com) in centerfield is nothing short of abysmal.

Defense - http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/pl/461/461815dfs06.html

Pawtucket offensive splits (AAA) - http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/pl/461/461815PawILb06.html

Portland offensive splits (AA) - http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/pl/461/461815PorELb06.html

...and imagine what the BoSox would want in exchange.

Sorry to having one post after another but from the St Petersburg Times:

"RAYS RUMBLINGS: The three remaining arbitration-eligible players - Seth McClung, Josh Paul and Ty Wigginton - are expected to be tendered contracts by Tuesday's deadline. ... Asked (unexpectedly) for a projected opening day lineup, manager Joe Maddon had Wigginton at first, Japanese infielder Akinori Iwamura at third and B.J. Upton nowhere. ... Scott Kazmir told the Associated Press his left shoulder was "100 percent" and there was "no doubt" he'll be ready for spring training. ... The Rays rejected a deal to send Upton to the Marlins for pitcher Ricky Nolasco. ..."

They turned down Scott Olsen for Baldelli, they turned down Nolasco for B.J. Upton, who in the same paragraph the manager says in effect he's going to be riding the bench. Give me a break.

The entire baseball world is looking for starting pitching, and no one more than the fumbling Devil Rays (they really ought to hire a GM instead of having a bean-counter with zero MLB/baseball experience running the show. Go read Friedman's bio on the DRays website.) and yet the PR machine would have you believe the Marlins were falling over themselves to pony up successful rookie major league pitchers as if they grew on trees.

It's funny how all this stuff comes out at once as if (gasp) they're just feeding the media and their fans what they want them to hear as excuses for not getting the job done. Even as inept as the DRays are they have to know they would never get a better player for an unemployed and troubled Melvin Upton or a better pitcher than Scott Olsen in any trade.

Any team in baseball would have made either trade. That's why it's all bullsh*t.

Nolasco isnt enough for Upton, imo.

Yeah, but where are the DRays going to play Upton?

No. This is from today's St. Petersburg Times:

"Asked (unexpectedly) for a projected opening day lineup, manager Joe Maddon had Wigginton at first, Japanese infielder Akinori Iwamura at third and B.J. Upton nowhere."

Source -- http://www.sptimes.com/2006/12/10/Rays/Eve...bottom_ha.shtml

As far as Nolasco for Upton non-deal goes and the leak to the press on the non-deal, that indicates to me the D'Rays have no interest in Nolasco and put this out there to quell any future trade rumors involving Nolasco and Baldelli.

Best fit for Rocco....

1. Braves

Prospects - The only prospect that would give the Rays serious interest is Jarrod Saltalamacchia. He had a down year in 2006, but in his defense he was dealing with a wrist injury that cost him to miss almost half the season. Plus he came on strong in July and August. There is little not to like about a 6'4 switch hitting catcher with serious power.

Pitching - The rays would have interest in getting either Chuck James or Kyle Davies, however each pitcher has his own issues. James had a great 2006 rookie season, however he allows fly balls at an alarming rate. Such a tendency could mean bads things in the AL East. Davies seemed like a promising prospect a couple years ago, but he has year to figure out major league hitting in over 100 innings. In 2006 he had a groin injury that kept him out for 3 1/2 months.

Hitters - The Braves would be willing to trade first baseman Adam LaRoche. He had a great 2006 season, but may are skeptical to whether it was a fluke. He would be aribtration eligible next year and under Rays control for 3 years before free agency.

Best reasonable trade: Chuck James and Jarrod Salty

White Sox:

Prospects - Ryan Sweeney is the Sox top prospect going into 2007. He is a 5 tool outfielder that swings a potent bat from the leftside of the plate. He is major league ready. Josh Fields is a talented 3B who could also switch to outfield if needed. He had a great 2006 season at AAA and is also major league ready. Lance Broadway is a talent righty with a dirty curveball. He finished the year in A ball, but having just been drafted out of college recently, he could make it to the majors in 2007.

Pitching - The White Sox heavily covet Brandon McCarthy, but could be pursuaded to trade him for Baldelli. Personally, I dont completely understand all the hype surrounding him. However, he would be a solid young pitcher the rays would like to get.

Best reasonable Trade: McCarthy and Fields/Sweeney

Tigers:

Prospects - Maybin is too far from the majors for the rays to consider this prospect. Besdies Maybin, the Rays could be interested in Andrew Miller. After making his major league debut as a reliever, Miller will likely spend the 2007 in the minors working on becoming a starter again. Tata is an interesting prospect, but has too many issues.

Pitchers - Zumaya would be an obvious choice for the rays. Bonderman is a solid young starting pitcher the rays could have interest in as well.

Best reasonable trade: Zumaya and Bonderman

Orioles:

Pitchers: Chris Ray would be the first name mentioned in the trade. He had a great year in his first year as the Orioles closer, notching 33 saves wtih a 2.74 ERA. From the there, the Orioles have a few young pitchers that could be had, but each one has their own issue. Daniel Cabrera has amazing talent, but has yet to refine his control. In 2006, Cabrera averaged almost a walk an inning. Haden Penn was a touted prospect for years, but has not panned out in the majors. Last year it seemed like he was throwing softballs. Lastly, Adam Loewen has had good stats in the minors, but does not have much experience above AA. With the Orioles last year, his numbers looked worse than they were. He allowed a decent H/IP and SO/IP, as he did in the minors. However, after making the jump from AA, who knows how much adjustment time he will need before he developes into the pitcher people project him as.

Best reasonable trade: Ray and Cabrera

This is what there fan's want in return for Baldelli