Randy Shannon Doing Well

The Fan

We lost Phelon Jones and Greg Cooper right away when Coker was fired, arguably our two best recruits, however, since Shannon has been named, he has been doing well and cleaning up our own backyard, couldn't ask for anything more. He has landed some good recruits the past two days, here are some stories:

Bradenton star McKenzie commits to Hurricanes

By MANNY NAVARRO

[email protected]

Another day, another commitment for new University of Miami coach Randy Shannon -- but this one could end up being a two-for-one special.

First, though, Jermaine McKenzie, a 6-1, 170-pound senior from Bradenton Prep, became the fifth receiver to commit to the Hurricanes when he said he told UM receivers coach Marquis Moseley to hold a scholarship for him Wednesday afternoon.

The second part of the deal could end up being state record-setting quarterback Robert Marve from Tampa Plant, who said he plans to visit Miami with McKenzie next month.

''It's official,'' said McKenzie, rated the 13th best receiver in the nation by Rivals.com and the most highly-touted of UM's five receiver commitments.

``I'm going to take a visit probably on Jan. 15 where I'll get to see the facilities and everything else. I've been a Hurricane fan my whole life. I love Andre Johnson. I think I can be just like him. I'm really excited.''

McKenzie played three different positions for Bradenton Prep (6-5) this season, running back, receiver and defensive back. He caught 17 passes for 349 yards and 4 TDs and ran for more than 330 yards and four TDs. He also intercepted four passes. He is also considered an excellent return man. His father, John McKenzie, said his son has a 3.4 GPA and scored a 710 on the SAT and based on a sliding scale is a full qualifier.

On Wednesday night, McKenzie played catch with Marve on the University of South Florida campus. The two had planned to attend the University of Alabama together and were looking forward to working out together after the high school season. But the first part of those plans could end up changing for both.

Marve, who said he is still committed to Alabama, said he was excited to hear McKenzie had chosen Miami and said the prospect of going to Miami with McKenzie excites him.

''I'm probably going to go down together with Jermaine during his visit,'' said Marve, rated the No. 8 pro-style quarterback by Rivals.com. ``Miami is a great school and they do good every year, I'm looking forward to it. Location is a big thing for me.''

This season, Marve broke the single-season state passing records held by University of Florida freshman Tim Tebow with 4,372 passing yards and 48 touchdowns. He threw only 13 interceptions.

On his way to leading Plant to the state title, his team beat No. 3 Seffner Armwood, No. 2 Booker T. Washington and No. 1 St. Augustine Nease. In the state title game victory against Nease, Marve threw a late touchdown pass with 19 seconds left to rally his team to victory. He finished the game with 276 yards and three scores.

Marve's father Eugene was a linebacker with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Marve, who said he has been text messaging with and talking on the phone with UM coaches, said he may also take trips to a few other schools -- including Florida, LSU and Maryland.

''I've been getting a lot of calls,'' Marve said. ``My plan is to sit down with my family [during the holiday break] and see what I really want.''

? John McKenzie said he could have another possible recruit for the Canes, his other son and Jermaine's twin brother, Tremaine, a 6-1, 200-pound linebacker. John McKenzie said he will be sending video of Tremaine, who projects as a strong safety, to UM coaches before Jermaine visits.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...mi/16232792.htm

Aquinas' Hankerson commits to Canes

Broward County's top receiver Leonard Hankerson will play for the University of Miami.

By MANNY NAVARRO

[email protected]

Randy Shannon has been a busy recruiter as the new coach for the University of Miami -- and his efforts appear to continue to pay dividends for the Hurricanes.

Late Monday night, Shannon locked up Broward County's top receiver when St. Thomas Aquinas senior Leonard Hankerson committed to the Hurricanes.

St. Thomas coach George Smith said Hankerson, rated the 44th-best receiver in the nation by Rivals.com, was visited by Shannon and two assistants Monday night. The visit made Hankerson commit to Miami on the spot.

Hankerson (6-2, 185) had been considering Florida, Ohio State and Michigan as other possible destinations. Hankerson becomes UM's fourth receiver commitment, joining El Camino (Calif.) Junior College's Kayne Farquharson, South Carolina standout Daniel Adderley and Glades Central's Taurus McKinley.

''He's a great kid,'' Smith said of Hankerson, who finished the season with 39 catches for 799 yards and 14 touchdowns -- including five catches for 80 yards and a score in St. Thomas' loss to Lakeland in the Class 5A state title game Friday. ``He's quiet, not arrogant, he's a great kid for Miami. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Randy Shannon is going to be great for Miami. I guarantee there is going to be a lot of kids who want to go there because of him.''

Smith said that could include Hankerson's highly touted teammate and Aquinas star safety Major Wright, who is considered one of the nation's best at his position. Shannon also met with Wright on Monday night.

''Shannon has definitely made Major reconsider UM,'' Smith said. ``But it's going to be tough. Florida, Ohio State are also after him. Notre Dame and coach Charlie Weis are coming in today to speak to him today. And he's one of heck a recruiter, too.''

? One school that will no longer be welcome at St. Thomas, though, is the University of Alabama. Smith has sent a letter to the school president and athletic director after what he believes was the unfair firing of Mike Shula as coach.

OTHER RECRUITS

Shannon has hit a few other places in the past week -- including San Antonio to meet with U.S. Army All-American quarterback recruit Nick Fanuzzi.

Mike Fanuzzi, Nick's father, said Shannon was ``a good guy, aggressive, down-to-earth.

''I've got a good feeling Nick is going to end up there no matter what,'' Mike Fanuzzi said. ``We're still going to see who he's bringing in [at offensive coordinator] and see what's going to happen with the rest of the staff.''

Mike Fanuzzi said Shannon named a few candidates he was considering for Miami's offensive coordinator position, but Fanuzzi said he planned to keep it to himself. He also said said Alabama and Arizona State have been aggressively pursuing his son of late.

''I'm sure [shannon] will determine [the offensive coordinator] soon, especially with as much people are talking about it,'' Fanuzzi said. ``But as far as we're concerned, we got a good feel for Coach Shannon.''

Fanuzzi's father said Shannon told him he had visited with Milford Prep, N.Y., running back Graig Cooper, a former UM commitment before Coker was fired, at his home in Tennessee. Fanuzzi said Shannon told him the visit went well.

I would love to steal Robert Marve away. We need a top QB, we dont have one yet and havent for a while now :(

Sounds like McKenzie is a 2 for 1 deal.

Any news on Kris O'Dowd (center kid) or Anthony Davis the top left tackle? I had read on scout before both were considering miami at one point.

I would love to get some big monsterous linemen. We need them badly and they could start soon here :(

It would be nice to get Cooper back, if not then Easterling would be nice to get somehow.

Looking good so far. Lets get that QB. If he is that good, he could be starting as soon as 2008.

No joke, after watching how Marve played in the state championship, this kid has the talent and the ability to beat out Wright and Freeman. Marve would indeed be a huge pickup for the Canes, but my sources tell me if FSU comes knocking with an offer, he'll commit on the spot. It's doubtful that they'll offer him though, seeing as FSU already has 4 QB's on scholarship.

Looking good so far. Lets get that QB. If he is that good, he could be starting as soon as 2008.

No joke, after watching how Marve played in the state championship, this kid has the talent and the ability to beat out Wright and Freeman. Marve would indeed be a huge pickup for the Canes, but my sources tell me if FSU comes knocking with an offer, he'll commit on the spot. It's doubtful that they'll offer him though, seeing as FSU already has 4 QB's on scholarship.

Lets hope the canes get him then. I dont know if they would start him right away, but they could sell him on the fact that he would redshirt the first year, and probably be able to start for 4 years.

Any news on Kris O'Dowd (center kid) or Anthony Davis the top left tackle? I had read on scout before both were considering miami at one point.

According to rivals, O'Dowd will make his decision today. He said he will be deciding between Tennessee, USC, UCLA and Arizona.

Davis' coach said he's basically deciding between OSU and Rutgers.