Donald Trump sues the city of Palm Beach for $10 million dollars

Accord

The first amendment debate here has to be clarified. A content and viewpoint neutral regulation on speech is allowed as long as they are reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions and allow for adequate alternatives. The city is saying no flying flags bigger than a certain size. They aren't saying no American flags only or no flags that deal with patriotism. They also aren't saying no flags at all. In fact if they made exceptions for the American flag, they are in hotter water because now they've engaged in content specific restrictions.

Throw in the fact that, as Tswift pointed out, this seems to be a landmark meaning it isn't an arbitrary restriction, and it sounds like they are acting well within the constitutional bounds.

I really think the city wins on this one. The only people who can do something about it are the voters of Palm Beach.

Town* of Palm Beach.

And he should take it down. It's too big and he erected it without a permit.

Screw the town of Palm Beach. This is the United States of America and if someone wants to fly old glory, no matter how big, then damnit they should be able to fly old glory regardless of some stupid town rules.

Puuuuuuh leez.

1) Anything that breaks rules, any time any where is not permissable. Over looking rules leads to a lawless society.

2) I live right near Trump, like 2 minutes away and I drive past that God awful thing every day. It's tacky, it's disgusting, it's out of place and it doesn't belong there. Mar a Lago is a landmark, Trump wanted to landmark the property for tax purposes. As such, he certainly isn't allowed to whimsically change the property. Palm Beach has an image to protect, going God awfully gawdy is not in the best interests of the town or neighborhing property values. If someone wants to fly a massive Union Jack you sure as hell'd be beating down his door. It's the same goddamn thing, a flag's a flag.

What? So then its ok for people to be arrested for speaking against the president as long as theres a law that says they cant, its ok to discriminate against blacks when there were laws allowing for it. Of course not, when a law violates your constitutional rights, you fight to change it. And this palm beach law violates people's first amendment rights as applied. Go Trump

The flag is representative of one's respect for America. One of the founding principles of America was a law abiding society. By flying the flag in spite of laws that all citizens of the town must abide by, you are ignoring what the flag stands for and instead hiding behind a symbol bereft of importance by the bastardization of its standing.

The American flag means nothing if it is used in the creation of lawlessness.

The law is the constitution and any law that goes against it is what is not lawful. So a law restricting freedom of speech as applied is unlawful. The constitution allows trump to fly the flag as he pleases, so hes abiding by the constitution. Palm Beach are the ones that are not abiding by the law.

Trump landmarked Mar a Lago, you do that, you play by the town's rules.

End of story.

I wanted pics, so I found one:

My god that is so offensive. How dare Donald Trump fly ragged piece of cloth in view of MY million dollar home! :rolleyes:

FACT: The flag is the same size as the flag that is flown over the White House, and Mar-a-Lago is much larger than the White House. The city of Palm Beach should be ashamed of themselves, I hope they lose this law suit, and I hope all the negative publicity hurts their oh so precious image.

FACT: Mar a Lago is landmarked, as such he's subject to even more stringent town regulations.

FACT: Trump willingly has Mar a Lago landmarked for tax purposes.

Just because it's the American flag doesn't make it right.

If Trump wins, the next day I fully intend to fly an equally sized Florida Marlins flag or perhaps the Jolly Roger from my front lawn.

The White House is not a national landmark?

Who said it wasn't?

But to alter any landmark, the appropriate actions must be taken, and sticking a flag pole in the ground in the middle of the night is not appropriate.