Saddam Executed

FutureGM

MSNBC.com-

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Saddam Hussein will be executed by Saturday, an Iraqi judge said Friday after the United States reportedly transferred him to Iraqi custody.

?The American side has notified us that they have handed over the president to the Iraqi authorities,? said Khalil al-Dulaimi, head of Saddam?s defense team.

Munir Haddad, a judge on the appeals court that upheld Saddam?s death sentence, said that ?Saddam will be executed today or tomorrow. All the measures have been done.?

Haddad is authorized to attend the hanging on behalf of the judiciary. ?I am ready to attend and there is no reason for delays,? he said.

Earlier Friday, Iraqi officials said that Saddam's half brothers visited him in his jail cell on Thursday and he gave them his will and personal belongings.

The former president had been at an American military prison.

The visit to Saddam was confirmed by a member of the former dictator?s defense team, Badee Izzat Aref, who spoke to The Associated Press by telephone from the United Arab Emirates.

A senior commander at the Iraqi defense ministry also said Saddam gave his will to one of his half brothers. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Saddam?s lawyers later issued a statement saying the Americans gave permission to one of them to pick up his belongings. The statement did not name the recipient or specify when.

However, Raed Juhi, spokesman for the High Tribunal court that convicted Saddam, denied that the former leader?s relatives visited him.

Within 30 days

An Iraqi appeals court upheld Saddam?s death sentence Tuesday for the killing of 148 people who were detained after an attempt to assassinate him in the northern Iraqi city of Dujail in 1982. The court said the former president should be hanged within 30 days.

The White House was preparing for Saddam?s execution as early as this weekend, based on information that U.S. officials in Baghdad were receiving from the Iraqi government, a senior administration official said in Washington.

There have been disagreements among Iraqi officials in recent days as to whether Iraqi law dictates the execution must take place within 30 days and whether President Jalal Talabani and his two deputies have to approve it.

Juhi, the High Tribunal spokesman, has said that with approval from Talabani, Saddam could be put to death within 30 days. Otherwise, the execution would be held after that period, he said.

But the president?s office sent a letter to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki on Friday saying the death sentence does not have to be approved by Talabani and his deputies, a senior government official said on condition of anonymity.

The official, who said he had read the letter, quoted it as saying that the presidency?s opinion was ?identical? to that of the appeals court that upheld Saddam?s death sentence.

'No review or delay'

The handover of Saddam from American custody to Iraqi authorities needs the signed approval of the Iraqi Justice Ministry, the senior official said. Justice Minister Hashim Abdul-Rahman al-Shebli was not in the country, so a deputy would have to provide a signature, he said.

Once that measure is complete, Saddam can be delivered directly to the place of his execution, the official said.

On Thursday, Saddam?s chief lawyer issued a plea to international organizations to prevent the U.S. from transferring the ousted dictator to Iraqi authorities, calling him a ?prisoner of war.?

Al-Maliki said Friday in comments released from his office that ?nothing and nobody can abrogate the ruling.?

The Iraqi prime minister said those who oppose the execution of Saddam were insulting the honor of his victims. His office said he made the remarks in a meeting with families of people who died during Saddam?s rule.

?Our respect for human rights requires us to execute him, and there will be no review or delay in carrying out the sentence,? al-Maliki said.

In his Friday sermon, a mosque preacher in the Shiite holy city of Najaf called Saddam?s execution ?God?s gift to Iraqis.?

?Oh, God, you know what Saddam has done! He killed millions of Iraqis in prisons, in wars with neighboring countries and he is responsible for mass graves. Oh God, we ask you to take revenge on Saddam,? said Sheik Sadralddin al-Qubanji, a member of the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq, known as SCIRI.

Worry about violence

With at least 72 more Iraqis killed Thursday in violence, U.S. officials and Iraqis expressed concern about the potential for even worse bloodshed following Saddam?s execution.

In the latest violence, a suicide bomber killed nine people near a Shiite mosque north of Baghdad on Friday, police said. A round of mortar shells also slammed into al-Maidan square in central Baghdad, wounding ten people and damaging shops and buildings in the area, police said.

Gunmen killed two employees of an oil company and another civilian in Mosul, 250 miles northwest of Baghdad. Two civilians and a policeman were fatally shot in separate attacks in Musayyib, about 40 miles south of the capital, police said.

U.S. troops, meanwhile, killed six people and destroyed a weapons cache in separate raids in Baghdad and northwest of the Iraqi capital, the U.S. military said.

One of the raids targeted two buildings in the village of Thar Thar, where U.S. troops found 16 pounds of homemade explosives, two large bombs, a rocket-propelled grenade, suicide vests and multiple batteries, the military said.

Iraqi forces backed by U.S. troops also captured 13 suspects and confiscated weapons in a raid on a mosque southeast of Baghdad, the U.S. military said Friday.

Link

UPDATE: Saddam Hussein was executed at 10 PM EST by hanging.

AWESOME.

I was worried that Saddam would be executed while I was at Parris Island and I would miss it, but now if he's going to be executed no later than tomorrow i'll get to see it. Will it be televised? I doubt our p***y ass media would show it, but it can't hurt to ask.

I'm sure it'll be up on Youtube or somewhere else on the internet.

Jesus guys, he is a terrible guy, but for some reason his hanging doesnt make me happier. Had he died in combat or something ok, but the hanging of someone of such status gives it this feel of the French Revolution and Robespierre.

I'll gladly pay to see it on PPV.

The dood defintely deserves to die with all the atrocities he committed against his own people, but I'd much rather see the man who was responsible for 9/11 head on a platter than this guy.

Bin Laden was the real enemy.

Naw, I'm more anxious to see Saddam hang. Dictators don't often get justice (Hitler/Mussolini notwithstanding) like we saw with Pinochet dying before the courts cared enough to bring him in, so for one to get to hang while alive along with his eternal punishment is refreshing.

Jesus guys, he is a terrible guy, but for some reason his hanging doesnt make me happier. Had he died in combat or something ok, but the hanging of someone of such status gives it this feel of the French Revolution and Robespierre.

I'll gladly pay to see it on PPV.

The dood defintely deserves to die with all the atrocities he committed against his own people, but I'd much rather see the man who was responsible for 9/11 head on a platter than this guy.

Bin Laden was the real enemy.

I prefer the "all of the above" option.

Link to video??????