Buckeye

I liked it. It wasn't in the same league as Gladiator, but it was entertaining. It seems like the biggest complaint I read before going to see the movie was that it looked like a video game and if you didn't buy in to the director's vision, you weren't going to enjoy the movie. I found the cinematography to be visually appealing so I guess I "bought in."

I definately could have done without the nekked butt glistening in the moonlight shot, though. A little warning would have been nice!

Guest Juanky

I definately could have done without the nekked butt glistening in the moonlight shot, though. A little warning would have been nice!

Gotta love the Kama Sutra expose that hits a couple minutes after that part

It's playing at the best theater in town and virtually everyone I know is interested in it so I will probably end up seeing it.

However, I am being very cautious of the poor reviews and my own gut instincts.

I dont see how anyone couldnt possible like it.

It's one of the best pure action movies ever.

Visually astonishing, and just flat out jaw dropping.

It's playing at the best theater in town and virtually everyone I know is interested in it so I will probably end up seeing it.

However, I am being very cautious of the poor reviews and my own gut instincts.

I dont see how anyone couldnt possible like it.

It's one of the best pure action movies ever.

Visually astonishing, and just flat out jaw dropping.

Well those who have their imagination shielded by an unrelenting love of cinematic style and technique cannot look past the 'superficial' nature of many great action thrillers.

I'm a huge fan of mythology and ancient civilization so I really liked the movie

Someone who loved Frank Miller's graphic novel certaintly wants a page to screen adaptation to be as exact as possible.

I read Sin City in the 8th grade and then when they came out with the movie I was hoping for a perfect adaptation and I got that, I want more of the same.

Also again, you have to change your perception going in. This is not a movie account of the Battle of Thermopylae, its a movie adaptation of a graphic novel's interpretation of the event. Very different.

Those who have a love for cinematic style are quick to realize that the superficial action movies of days yonder are far superior to contemporary ones.

Love for style never ever equates to film snob-ism. I love superficial action movies myself and grew up watching Predators, Die Hards, Total Recalls, Road Warriors, Terminators, etc.

Despite the superficiality of those films, the filmmakers had something called talent. We don't have real filmmakers anymore...we have music video directors who want to emulate those who came before them and can only do that if they resort to computer graphics.

I think your perceptions are highly skewed when it comes to film enthusiasts and what they are seeking. We aren't looking for your serious, thought provoking, Oscar reaching drama. We are looking for the most well made film.

To put things into perspective: I happen to think Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark are far superior than Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, and Munich combined.

Hopefully, you understand at least where I am coming from. I will post my thoughts on the film in question after I have seen it.

Robocop is better than any movie you named.

:shifty

My favorite 80's action flick of ALL time.

I'll see this in about two weeks, though. Kind of looking forward to it.

Someone who loved Frank Miller's graphic novel certaintly wants a page to screen adaptation to be as exact as possible.

I read Sin City in the 8th grade and then when they came out with the movie I was hoping for a perfect adaptation and I got that, I want more of the same.

Also again, you have to change your perception going in. This is not a movie account of the Battle of Thermopylae, its a movie adaptation of a graphic novel's interpretation of the event. Very different.

That might contribute to your personal appreciation/feelings for the film, but under no circumstances would that hold water for an objective review/analysis of the film. Sure, you could adore the source material, but just because it's faithful doesn't mean it is a better film. In fact, many films suffer as films because they strive to be too faithful. To put things into perspective: it has been said that on average each page of a screenplay corresponds to one minute of film time. Now imagine a novel (or some other written form) with much, much more convoluted text. That alone is not an easy transition, and that is only the surface of it.

When evaluating film, it must be considered in its own microcosmos. There are exceptions to this, however, but I am not articulate enough to explain them.

To each his own I just think it's silly going into this movie and thinking it's trying to be an accurate portrayal of the historical event when that isn't what it is. Just seems like a silly position to take before seeing it.

It's like wanting to see a movie on realistic crime fighting in this country and seeing Batman.

That might contribute to your personal appreciation/feelings for the film, but under no circumstances would that hold water for an objective review/analysis of the film. Sure, you could adore the source material, but just because it's faithful doesn't mean it is a better film. In fact, many films suffer as films because they strive to be too faithful. To put things into perspective: it has been said that on average each page of a screenplay corresponds to one minute of film time. Now imagine a novel (or some other written form) with much, much more convoluted text. That alone is not an easy transition, and that is only the surface of it.

When evaluating film, it must be considered in its own microcosmos. There are exceptions to this, however, but I am not articulate enough to explain them.

To each his own I just think it's silly going into this movie and thinking it's trying to be an accurate portrayal of the historical event when that isn't what it is. Just seems like a silly position to take before seeing it.

It's like wanting to see a movie on realistic crime fighting in this country and seeing Batman.

You say that as if Batman isn't a real crime drama.

I don't believe you.

Those who have a love for cinematic style are quick to realize that the superficial action movies of days yonder are far superior to contemporary ones...

Love for style never ever equates to film snob-ism...

Despite the superficiality of those films, the filmmakers had something called talent...

Hopefully, you understand at least where I am coming from. I will post my thoughts on the film in question after I have seen it.

I wish you would hold your opinions until after you actually saw the movie.

While I wasn't crazy about the story, I thought the cinematic style was engaging, fresh, and imaginative. That?s what distinguishes it from Troy or Kingdom of Heaven or Alexander. I saw a director that made bold choices and that excites me as a moviegoer.

I was very impressed with Zack Snyder and am absolutely THRILLED to have seen this offering knowing that he is about to film Watchmen [another graphic novel].

On a side note: If you have any interest in the comic genre at all [and I?m not a HUGE comic fan] you MUST read this story. Even as a casual reader I was completely sucked in to this story. It?s fantastic!

Like I said in my review, this movie will have strong appeal to those of you who enjoyed both Gladiator [for subject matter and action] and Sin City [for style and cartoonish violence].

Unless someone attacks a point I've made thus far, I'll do just that (wait until I've seen the movie before writing more).

However, Zodiac and the next Ingmar Bergman revival take preference right now.

I thought Fox did a good job of attacking your point.

Unless someone attacks a point I've made thus far, I'll do just that (wait until I've seen the movie before writing more).

None better. He was attacking my point all night.

None better. He was attacking my point all night.

:mischief

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.